• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Time-Out?

Should we institute temporary bans?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
Well, since it seems like some members can't help but act like children, perhaps we should consider dealing with them like children. What are some thoughts about instituting an AZ "time-out", or temporary ban? I'm thinking about a month. We never like to have to make a decision whether or not to permanently ban members and this might be a good way to handle those instances that are in a grey area.

Thoughts?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm thinking fines to continue posting. Put the coin in a pool for lift tickets to be raffled off amongst the fine, upstanding respectful posters here.

Definitely..people should be accountable for what they post and if they can not post in a mature manner and stay on-topic..they should have a time out..

Come on guys..play nice!!!

Paul

Wow, if you think things are (or get) that bad then why not? Most Forums have some type of bannination policy, although true internet trolls tend to wear them as a badge of honor. I think this community is strong enough to weed them out, though and not let them use that as encouragement.

I would suggest some type of warning progression (3 strikes, percent etc...) and also that a ban whether permanent or temporary be done after a consortium of Admin/Moderators. I wouldn't give Mods the power to ban on their own.

Aside from those thoughts, it's your sandbox Greg, and we like playing in it, and will (hopefully) respect your rules while doing so. If you think it will help, what the hell, go for it.

Dr Skimeister

I'm hoping to get the action on the pool on who would be the first to have to sit in the corner with the dunce cap on. :)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Wow, if you think things are (or get) that bad then why not? Most Forums have some type of bannination policy, although true internet trolls tend to wear them as a badge of honor. I think this community is strong enough to weed them out, though and not let them use that as encouragement.

I would suggest some type of warning progression (3 strikes, percent etc...) and also that a ban whether permanent or temporary be done after a consortium of Admin/Moderators. I wouldn't give Mods the power to ban on their own.

Aside from those thoughts, it's your sandbox Greg, and we like playing in it, and will (hopefully) respect your rules while doing so. If you think it will help, what the hell, go for it.

Yeah, that.

I belong to other forums that have a 3 strikes then you're out for a month.

Paul

Yeah, that.

I belong to other forums that have a 3 strikes then you're out for a month.

I belong to one that they had to do a "Warning Level" that was actually published on your info to let everyone know what kind aof a troll you are. It had 10% increments but how much it went up depended on the severity of the offence.

bvibert

Staff member

We have a system like that in place already.

highpeaksdrifter

Well, since it seems like some members can't help but act like children, perhaps we should consider dealing with them like children. What are some thoughts about instituting an AZ "time-out", or temporary ban? I'm thinking about a month. We never like to have to make a decision whether or not to permanently ban members and this might be a good way to handle those instances that are in a grey area.

Thoughts?

My thought is I didn't know there was a problem.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I don't really care. I find it humerous when things get out of control or as Greg put it..."members are acting like children" but I wouldn't miss it either.

Maybe we could publicly flog folks (not literally of course). Kinda like the toolbox, but an icon in replacement of an avatar & peaks for 1st, 2nd and 3rd strike?

bvibert

Staff member
There are plenty of places for free-for-all behavior. AZ, isn't one of them. I'm all for having a little fun and all, but that doesn't mean that this has to be romper room.

highpeaksdrifter

I hope 2knees responds to this thread with his thoughts. He likes flame wars and all around busting chops as much as anyone who has ever posted here, yet he is also in the inner circle of the Sundown crew who are the movers and shakers of this forum.

What say you Pat?

highpeaksdrifter

There are plenty of places for free-for-all behavior. AZ, isn't one of them. I'm all for having a little fun and all, but that doesn't mean that this has to be romper room.

It's been way, way worse then this. How about the time when Greg got into a multi day flame war with that dude who is a racer from PA. That spread from here to the PA forum and into Kzone too I think. That was nasty.

That's just one example and there has been plenty of others.

So what am I missing? How about somebody spells it out for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.