• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Time-Out?

Should we institute temporary bans?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2knees

I hope 2knees responds to this thread with his thoughts. He likes flame wars and all around busting chops as much as anyone who has ever posted here, yet he is also in the inner circle of the Sundown crew who are the movers and shakers of this forum.

What say you Pat?

movers and shakers.....:lol:

I freaking love flame wars, until i get picked on. I like to think of myself as the original "Dish it out but can't take it" guy though. So I use my connections to get Greg to bend the rules, which only his inner circle gets to write errr I mean see.

No to timeouts, yes to a communal police state. I mean communal policing.

snoseek

We all have an ignore button right? I mean really can't we just eliminate all the b.s. by utilizing this handy little feature. I voted no but honestly could care less as long as it is truly fair.

ComeBackMudPuddles

We all have an ignore button right? I mean really can't we just eliminate all the b.s. by utilizing this handy little feature. I voted no but honestly could care less as long as it is truly fair.

+1 (especiallly the "truly fair" bit)

also, i consider "acting like an adult" as a two-way street: being able to ignore someone else's b.s. or at least not to take the bait is as much a sign of maturity as not acting childish in the first place.

that being said, while it IS the inernet and this is a forum, it's greg's toy, and he should do what he feels is right. there are a lot of other options for people, and if they don't like it here, then can go elsewhere. really not a big deal.

why don't the mods at least interject from time to time in the threads with a "hey guys, cool it down" post or something? :idea:

Philpug

There are plenty of places for free-for-all behavior. AZ, isn't one of them. I'm all for having a little fun and all, but that doesn't mean that this has to be romper room.

It is your site, you are in charge of setting the tone and deciding the parameters. If someone does not agree with that, is is a big internet, they are welcome to go start their own forum.

*Checks calendar*

Yup, its definitely June on a skiing forum!

Personally, when threads start breaking down, I just stop reading them so I can't speak from knowing what sparked this thread. I think if a Mod PM's someone and tells them to cool it and they don't listen, they probably deserve at least a time out. I can't believe it would even have to go beyond a Mod PM'ing to say a line was crossed and to drop the subject.

Yeah, it is June on a ski forum. Wait till August/Sept when everyone has cabin fever, it is worse ;)

A good way to start with a Mod PM. I have "worked" on a few sites as Mod and that tends to work for the most part. With a site like AZ being relatively small with a core group of members, "personalities" are that much more exaggerated. Over the years I have seen members constantly berating or flaming other members and some let it go by saying "Oh that is XXX being XXX" and while a few thought it was cute for a while, it was detrimental to the growth of the forum and community. You have to look not only at the post counts in a thread but the views of a thread and ask, are there people that might want to join or contribute but they don't feel like getting into conflictive relationship with another member. There is a difference with someone being funny and someone being funny at another members cost. As people who run the site, you have to decide if that cost is worth it. Old Vulcan question fits here... "Do the needs of the one out weigh the needs of the many or do the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the one?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If that is harassment then why supply the puking emotioncon or any others that imply something negative about a post? Just sayin.
It's a continuation of unprovoked attacks that have persisted over the last few days. That in and of itself is not, admittedly. But taken as a whole, it is harassment.

ComeBackMudPuddles

It's a continuation of unprovoked attacks that have persisted over the last few days. That in and of itself is not, admittedly. But taken as a whole, it is harassment.

if what you're talking about is what started in the "persona" thread, it was philpug that first criticized GSS's bumping of the thread (calling it "boring thread drift"). i thought GSS's tongue in cheek response of telling philpug go back to facebook was funny (and warranted, given philpug's post). it then kinda went downhill from there.

maybe i missed something.

Me calling out Philpug for being a sandy vagina is not harrassment..it is a fact!!!

if what you're talking about is what started in the "persona" thread, it was philpug that first criticized GSS's bumping of the thread (calling it "boring thread drift"). i thought GSS's tongue in cheek response of telling philpug go back to facebook was funny (and warranted, given philpug's post). it then kinda went downhill from there.

maybe i missed something.

Exactly!!! Philpug takes everything personally..he only skied Blue mountain because he lost a bet with me yet he had an amazing time and stayed longer than me..Philpug is a mod over on Epicski and wants to push his Mod-Power over to this site..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I can't believe that in a thread discussing whether or not time-outs should be instituted the same juvenile behavior persists that provoked this thread in the first place. :roll: Really??? Seriously??? Are we that dense?

Instead of pointing fingers and complaining, why not take it as an opportunity to self-filter? Just because you think something doesn't mean it needs to be broadcasted...

I can't believe that in a thread discussing whether or not time-outs should be instituted the same juvenile behavior persists that provoked this thread in the first place. :roll: Really??? Seriously??? Are we that dense?

Instead of pointing fingers and complaining, why not take it as an opportunity to self-filter? Just because you think something doesn't mean it needs to be broadcasted...

Maybe you should become a mod..lol..how's the dyejob..LMBFAO!!!!!! You used all the kids KoolAid in your hair..:puke:

ComeBackMudPuddles

Maybe you should become a mod..lol..how's the dyejob..LMBFAO!!!!!! You used all the kids KoolAid in your hair..:puke:

let the record reflect that, while clearly over the top, GSS's post was not unprovoked.

not sure why i'm getting in the middle of this one.....lol.

let's get some static to calm the nerves....

1715332001_350323c395.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I am going to vote no on this thread. Maybe I missed something on another thread... but this seems to be about GSS? I am not going to defend GSS, but it seems like this thread is going downhill because people are playing into GSS. GSS has been like this since day one. I don't know how he could rack up more posts than any one except bvibert and greg and this is only becoming an issue now. This has been GSS style from the get go. I never cared for it nor am I defending it, but I sense over reaction and baiting when people should just be ignoring and not replying.

Again, I haven't seen the offending posts (to the best of my knowledge) so perhaps this is worse than it seems. I generally stop following posts when things go south. Seeing as how the board admin and a mod voted for the ban, I can't help but wonder if behind the scenes PMing was tried and ignored? Maybe a time out is the solution. But I think the easier solution is to not play into posts meant to get people going. I've never used the ignore feature that I can recall, maybe that would be a good option?

Philpug

For the record I didn't do a post report on this, but frankly I have in the past. I really do not understand the personal attacks by GSS. I met him in person and I thought we had a good time, I even recently invited him into my home when we had our fall GTG. At first I took his posting in good humor, but it really seems to have gone past that. There have been personal attacks that I really don't see where I have provoked them, (at one point I even sent him a PM asking what was going on with it). The only thing that I could think for this personal attack is that I don't like Blue Mountain, his home ski area.

GSS said:
Exactly!!! Philpug takes everything personally..he only skied Blue mountain because he lost a bet with me yet he had an amazing time and stayed longer than me..Philpug is a mod over on Epicski and wants to push his Mod-Power over to this site..

Looks like he is taking things personal not me.

GSS said:
Me calling out Philpug for being a sandy vagina is not harrassment..it is a fact!!!

That is a personal attack right there. (among the other recent posts)

I am no trying to make this place Epic (or PASR or TGR or.. or..or..) It is AZ, it has its own community, it is up to the owners to decide what is acceptable behavior. If it is decided that this type of harassment is tolerated, I am sure that some contributing members will leave.

It seams AZ it at a crossroads and needs to decide which direction it wants to go. This is a good thing, it shows that the forum is growing and evolving, now which way is it going to go. :popcorn:

bvibert

Staff member
For the record, we usually try to PM members who are getting out of hand, instead of publicly calling them out. Sometimes they cut the crap immediately, sometimes they throw little baby tantrums and then settle down, but more often then not they start right back up with the BS within a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.