• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driven: 2010 Subaru Legacy, the car Subaru needs...

Philpug

...but not the car <I> want. Let me explain. Having sold Subarus off and on since the late 80's I am very familiar with all the Legacy incarnations, I personally have had at least one of every generation. From the 1990 Legacy, every generation was an evolution,but the new 2010 is different, it is a revolution in the progression. It is such a revolution, I really think they should have given the car a new name. The 2010 Legacy gives Subaru their first Legacy since the first generation that can compete with the Accord, Camry and Altima (and even Mazda 6) in size, those other cars have evolved over the years and grew where the Legacy didn't. Looking at the 2010 next to the 2009, they look like completely different scale cars, visually, the 2010 looks about 15-20% larger.

Interior: Getting behind the wheel of the 2010 Legacy Limited, I noticed how much room there was, this car is much different than previous generations which had more of a "cockpit" feel, this is much more open and roomy. All four outboard seats are superior to previous cars and even than my 09 Forester, particularly the front passenger seat. The rear seats, with the front seats adjusted for my 5'11" frame had a tremendous amount of legroom to the point where I could sit in the back with my legs crossed and have enough room. I was impressed with the comfort of the drivers seat in particular. I really didn't get to play too much with the dials, HVAC or radio but the look was very "modern". U will say, that the feel of the pastics of the dash are a significant drop from the previous generation, I noticed the same in my Forester too. The hard plastic does not exude a premium level product. It was materials like this thad have separated Subaru in the past.

Driving: The new CVT transmission would tale a bit of getting used to, Acceleration felt a little slugging from the 2.5L, it felt a but slower than my previous 2006 Legacy. Slower yes, bit the power was a lot smoother, the transmission accelerated much smother. I was surprised to fid paddle shifters on the steering column, they did make a difference for downshifting and felt very responsive. Another area that I was impressed was the handling and the ride, I took the Legacy fairly "hot" into a couple of turns and the Legacy entered and exited with much composure.

campgottagopee

Nice report--I think this car willl be bringing peeps to Subie that heven't ever thought of one before.

Must be you found a dealer that drove one back from the meeting???

Philpug

IIRC, length is about the same but 3" wider and 3" taller. It looks like a completely different scale vehicle but in MY opinion not in a good way. I am not sure when (or even IF) we are going to see the diesel. I like the current size Legacy, this one os too big for me.

campgottagopee

Can we confirm that it actually is bigger than the last gen? Width, wheelbase, overall length and weight comparos?

2009:eek:verall body length 185 2010: 186.4
2009:wheelbase 105.1 2010: 108.3
2009: overall body width 68.1 2010: 71.7
2009: overall height 56.1 2010: 59.3
2009 and 2010 curb weight same- 3270--3557 depending on trim level
2009: head room frt/rear 39.5/36.5 2010:40.3/37.5
2009: leg room frt/rear 44.1/33.9 2010: 43.0/37.8
2009: trunk volume 11.4 2010: 14.7 (both cu feet)

mlctvt

your report is similar to everything esle I've been reading about the 2010 legacy- Most others I know agree it will not be their next car. On LegacyGT.com there's a 7000+ post discussion about it. the general consensus is they cheapened it and decontented it. It has less features than my '05 Gt-Limited wagon and it looks worse too. Of course I won't be buying one because they no longer make turbo wgons with manual transmissions. My next car will most probably be German, Audi, VW or BMW.

Philpug

your report is similar to everything esle I've been reading about the 2010 legacy- Most others I know agree it will not be their next car. On LegacyGT.com there's a 7000+ post discussion about it. the general consensus is they cheapened it and decontented it. It has less features than my '05 Gt-Limited wagon and it looks worse too. Of course I won't be buying one because they no longer make turbo wgons with manual transmissions. My next car will most probably be German, Audi, VW or BMW.

Yeah, I posted it over there too. My next car will either be a used Leg SW (Not Outback) or a new Jetta TDI SportWagen.

campgottagopee

Uhm, you really thin k Subaru is the only one to do that??? Just curious.

mlctvt

Uhm, you really thin k Subaru is the only one to do that??? Just curious.

I've never seen a new model of car have LESS features than the car it replaces.
Usually if some particular feature is discontinued other features are added so that the sum of features offered is at least what is was previously.

Last edited:

Philpug

Usually if some particular feature is discontinued other features are added so that the some of features offered is at least what is was previously.

I will agree with Camp here, most will introduce the new model at the same (or lower) price point and to do so, there has to be a loss somewhere and it usually has to do with some decontenting. In the case of the new LEgacy, it is an equipment swap such as a 6 speed vs. 5 speed, electronic E-brake, CVT vs. 4 speed, just a few things the new Legacy has over the previous one.

Will Subaru loose a few faithful? Probably, but they will gain so many maore mainstreamers that it was very smart of them.

The lost you as a customer a few years back with the ending of the Leg GT Stick wagon.

campgottagopee

Usually if some particular feature is discontinued other features are added so that the some of features offered is at least what is was previously.

That crap has been going on since 94ish----remeber when cars came with door locks on all 4 doors???? Now try and find one, heck, try and find one with locks on both drivers and passenger doors. Once pricing is released I think you'll see what's going on, meaning their going to "packaging" instead of "standard" so they can advertise the "all new leagacy" starting at XXXXX.XX. Equipped the way your GT is now $$$$ will be very similar to what the 09's are.

mlctvt

I'm just upset with the new ugly, less driver oriented vehicle. I thought they were on the right track with the '05-09 Legacy but now they're "Americanizing" it.
Make it uglier, taller, bigger, less performance. More people will probably buy it since Americans like tall cars, but I won't be one of them. Right now we've got two Subarus (turbo wagons with manuals) but unfortunaltey these will probably be our last since Subaru has abandoned the performance wagon market.
Like Philpug If I had to buy a new car today it would probably be a Jetta Sportwagon or maybe an Audi A3/A4 or BMW 328XI wagon. Hell maybe even the new Caddy CTS wagon .
Interesting that Subaru discontinues sportwagons when all kinds of new products are coming out.

Philpug

Interesting that Subaru discontinues sportwagons when all kinds of new products are coming out.

It's not like they aren't building them for other countries, so the ARE being build. PErsonally, I would offer to pay MSRP (even excluding incentives) for a LEg SW if I could have access to their parts bin... Hell, I would wait 8 weeks for the special order too.

2010 Leg SW
Diesel
6 speed
Sunroof
Cloth
Power driver +pass seat
McIntosh Sound System

That would be, about $26-27K?

campgottagopee

I'm just upset with the new ugly, less driver oriented vehicle. I thought they were on the right track with the '05-09 Legacy but now they're "Americanizing" it.
Make it uglier, taller, bigger, less performance. More people will probably buy it since Americans like tall cars, but I won't be one of them. Right now we've got two Subarus (turbo wagons with manuals) but unfortunaltey these will probably be our last since Subaru has abandoned the performance wagon market.
Like Philpug If I had to buy a new car today it would probably be a Jetta Sportwagon or maybe an Audi A3/A4 or BMW 328XI wagon. Hell maybe even the new Caddy CTS wagon .

As you know you're not alone, but the good thing is all the cars you've metioned are waaay cool so no matter what you'll have something fun to drive to the hill :spread:

campgottagopee

It's not like they aren't building them for other countries, so the ARE being build. PErsonally, I would offer to pay MSRP (even excluding incentives) for a LEg SW if I could have access to their parts bin... Hell, I would wait 8 weeks for the special order too.

2010 Leg SW
Diesel
6 speed
Sunroof
Cloth
Power driver +pass seat
McIntosh Sound System

Those things are wicked good---the harmon kardon is a close second, no??

Edd

Yeah, I posted it over there too. My next car will either be a used Leg SW (Not Outback)......

I feel exactly the same way but for sort of a dumb reason. I don't want to pay for the extra wide tires on Outbacks. Also I feel like the higher suspension results in less mileage regardless of what the official numbers are. That said, if I find the right deal on an 2009 Outback I'll probably cave.

Why do you feel this way?

mlctvt

2010 Leg SW
Diesel
6 speed
Sunroof
Cloth
Power driver +pass seat
McIntosh Sound System

Sign me up, if this was available I'd buy one.
I've seen photos of the '09 Diesel wagon with 6sp that they sell in Europe and it looks great.
High 40MPG+ too.