• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Official Thanksgiving Day Storm HYPE Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortex

I think as far ahead as my next day of skiing. I only care about this coming friday. I'll check the weather in a couple of days and get an update I can use.

hammer

Zand said:
The end of next week doesn't look so great now. It'll be cold until Thanksgiving day with a few fronts here and there. On Friday, a coastal low moves in as a rainstorm. On the backside of the storm, another, sharply colder, coastal low will pull up the coast.
At this point, my main concern is when we'll start getting a good stretch of cold...natural snow would be great, but at this point I'm mainly concerned that the places further south haven't been making any snow yet. :-?

Greg

Staff member
hammer said:
At this point, my main concern is when we'll start getting a good stretch of cold...natural snow would be great, but at this point I'm mainly concerned that the places further south haven't been making any snow yet. :-?
Agreed. We need a good 60-72 hours of round the clock snowmaking.

Joshua

I had a dream about the storm last night....local NWS offices are now talking about it...this from ALB

THE RIDGE IN THE WEST LOOKS TO REMAINED LOCKED IN PLACE THROUGH THIS TIME FRAME. BY THANKSGIVING WEEK...AS THE EAST COAST TROUGHS SHARPENS...WE MIGHT NOT ONLY OPEN THE DOOR FOR SOME REAL ARCTIC AIR...BUT MIGHT HAVE TO DEAL WITH A NOR'EASTER BEFORE THE ARCTIC AIR ARRIVES. STAY TUNED!

Multiple long range models now showing some type of development on or before Thanksgiving...will it be cold enough?...time will tell

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm getting concerned as well...tomorrow it will be 60 and thunderstorms here in VT. :blink: That's right...THUNDERSTORMS. :roll: We need some cold weather soon if I am going to be turning on the day after Turkey Day.

hammer

These are encouraging...a nice chill will be here soon...

ne_curtemp_720x486.jpg

us_ne_9regradar_large_usen.jpg

ctenidae

It just dropped 25 degrees in 4 hours at my Dad's in Arkansas. Generally, that means we'll get it in two days.

catskills

Will this mean snow in Detroit on Thanksgiving day?

Snow in Detroit on Thanksgiving day may mean the under dog Detroit might actually beat Atlanta. At the very lest Detoit should be able to beat the point spread. Besides how many points can either team score in a snow storm. H'mm maybe we can make some serious money here if you guys are real sure about this Thanksgiving day snow storm in the Detroit area. :beer:

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
So much for your thanksgiving snow -

A big and powerful storm is on the way out across eastern Canada. Its backlash continues to bring much colder air to the Great Lakes and the East. The cold front will stall off the Southeast coast this weekend providing a favorable area for another storm. The jet stream will determine whether the storm remains weak and heads out to sea or if it comes right up the coast. If it is the latter, rain will fall across the eastern Carolinas Sunday and spread all the way to New England early next week. When I was a youngster hoping for snow, I was always delighted to here the weatherman discussing a possible East Coast storm. If you are a snowlover like me, forget this one. Even if this storm materializes, it will bring mostly rain. Story by AccuWeather.com expert senior meteorologist John Kocet

Despite the wrong "hear," forecast looks bleak.

Joshua

they suck

something is going to happen thanksgiving week, maybe two things

im sticking to my guns, there will be a "Thanksgiving Storm"

and all we care is that it snows in the mountains, who cares if its too warm in NYC and Boston

madskier6

Thanksgiving Week Storm

Take a look at what Roger Hill (meterologist from WDEV radio near Sugarbush) posted on his site this morning for Central VT and NEK for Tues & Wed of next week:

Looking further ahead:
SATURDAY: Partly sunny. A high 35 to 40. SUNDAY: More clouds than sunshine but dry with moderating temperatures. A low in the 20s. A high near 40. MONDAY: Clouds mixed with sunny intervals. A low in the 20s. A high near 40. TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY: Lots of clouds. Chance for snow…possibly significant. A low near 25. A high in the low to mid 30s. END/RH 11-17-05

It could happen! :D Let's hope so.

noski

Re: Thanksgiving Week Storm

madskier6 said:
Take a look at what Roger Hill (meterologist from WDEV radio near Sugarbush) posted on his site this morning for Central VT and NEK for Tues & Wed of next week:

Looking further ahead:
SATURDAY: Partly sunny. A high 35 to 40. SUNDAY: More clouds than sunshine but dry with moderating temperatures. A low in the 20s. A high near 40. MONDAY: Clouds mixed with sunny intervals. A low in the 20s. A high near 40. TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY: Lots of clouds. Chance for snow…possibly significant. A low near 25. A high in the low to mid 30s. END/RH 11-17-05
I like Roger Hill too. His site can be found at http://weatheringheights.com

It could happen! :D Let's hope so.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Once again, I know it's (in)accuweather we're talking about here, but their latest on next week's weather looks quite interesting:

While Gamma is racing across South Florida, low pressure will develop rapidly off the Southeastern coast. Heavy rains will develop across the Southeast in response to the storm developing and moisture from Gamma being entrained into the storm. While Gamma is expected to lose tropical characteristics after leaving South Florida, the energy and moisture from Gamma will get entrained into the Southeast storm, and thus the problem for the East Coast of the United States. The combination of Gamma's moisture and energy being entrained into a storm and two troughs phasing in the eastern part of the country will lead to explosive storm development along the East Coast.

The storm will produce gale-force winds and heavy rains from Virginia into New England. Some of the coastal areas will have winds gusting up to 50 mph, with rainfall over 3 inches. Even behind the storm, the major cities from Washington to Boston will have high winds gusting well over 40 mph Tuesday.

As the storm deepens along the East Coast, it will pull in colder air on the west side, which will change the rain over to snow. The mountains of North Carolina will have the change over first, then the change over will continue north into central Pennsylvania and western New York. Some areas could receive in excess of 4 inches of snow by Tuesday night. Even the major cities could have a change over to snow before the storm ends Tuesday night, but right now, accumulating snow in the major cities is not forecasted.

By now you are probably thinking Category 7 storm, but the fun does not stop there. The coldest air of the season will blast in behind the storm and bring a massive lake-effect outbreak Wednesday into Saturday. Highs by Friday may not get out of the 20s for many areas across the Great Lakes, Ohio Valley and Northeast. Some of the lake-effect areas could have over 3 feet of snow, and in general, flurries and snow squalls will affect a large area of the country from the Midwest to the Northeast, Thanksgiving through the Holiday weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.