• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Abraham & Ellen - 6/16/09

skibum9995

Date Hiked: 6/16/09

Trails Hiked: Long Trail

Total Distance: 12.6 mi

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Wet

Special Required Equipment: none

Trip Report:
I've done almost no hiking this year so I decided to head for Lincoln Gap on Tuesday, after I was invited on a hike of Mt Mansfield Wednesday. I hit the trail at 8:50 and started the gradual climb up to the Battell Shelter where the trail started to get steeper for the final push up to the summit of Abraham. At 9:51 I was on the top with a great view of the inside a a cloud. I continued across the ridge in the fog, crossing the numerous peaks along the way. There were 4 or 5 blowdowns that were all easily crossed except one about waist high with small branches all around it. I got to Mt Ellen at 11:03, got my lunch out, and turned around to head back to Lincoln Gap. The trail across the ridge was muddy in spots, but generally just wet. I was back on Abraham at 12:23 and started the decent of the slippery rocks back to the shelter. The weather cleared a bit after I crossed Castlerock Peak so I was able to get some views. I was back at the car at 1:19 after an uneventful decent. It was good to be back out in the mountains, but I realized how out of shape and slow I am.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very nice. The "Monroe Skyline" is an incredible hike. I'm surprised that you did Battell Trail--did you know you can hike the LT north from Lincoln Gap and have a much higher elevation and gradual approach? The distance is the same though. The rocks on Abe must have been interesting.

Good warm up for Mansfield though.

skibum9995

Very nice. The "Monroe Skyline" is an incredible hike. I'm surprised that you did Battell Trail--did you know you can hike the LT north from Lincoln Gap and have a much higher elevation and gradual approach? The distance is the same though. The rocks on Abe must have been interesting.

Good warm up for Mansfield though.
I did hike the LT out and back from Lincoln Gap. I'm not interested in any extra elevation gain at this point in the year.

Nice..I've done that hike before with the UVM Outing club..we began at Lincoln gap..hiked Mount Abe..and ended up staying in the Nancy Hanks shelter..then hiked down the Jeruselum trail the next day..

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh...I thought you did the Battell Trail up? That is a separate trailhead from the Lincoln area...not the gap.