• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crazy ski jumps

ComeBackMudPuddles

this link was posted on skiadk.com and i thought i'd share it with y'all, 'cause these pix of temporary ski jumps are totally INSANE!

Empire Stadium, Vancouver, April 30, 1958:
3627955845_9ecf38236c_o.jpg

3627955659_d897d5cdf8_o.jpg

Soldier Field, Chicago, 1954:
3628701278_86dcb39873_o.jpg

3628877342_dd73540c59_o.jpg

L.A. Coliseum, 1938:
3628700906_09d0e58b89_o.jpg

Dodger Stadium, 1963:
3627888703_d91ab15abc_o.jpg

the "deputy dog" blog has all sorts of random stuff like this.....

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
I'm still amazed that alpine ski jumping isn't as popular as it used to be. There are sooo many skiers/rider who push themselves for speed, hitting big jumps and the like. When you watch alpine jumpers take 'flight', that is guts and skill!

I'm still amazed that alpine ski jumping isn't as popular as it used to be. There are sooo many skiers/rider who push themselves for speed, hitting big jumps and the like. When you watch alpine jumpers take 'flight', that is guts and skill!

Yeah but they don't do any tricks..:dunce: A jibhonk doing a switch 900 fakie McTwist Obama Drama baby mama to a Tindy teenage mutant ninja karate kick is way steezier..

deadheadskier

Staff member
wonder why kind of buzz/attendance something like that would generate today.

We had ski jumping in my high school, the coach was one of the judges at Nagano. HS comp only goes up to the 30 meter, but my school also had a 15 and a 5 to work up to the big hill. I was on JV as a sophomore:lol: I only went off the big hill 3 times on jumping skis and it scared the shit out of me every time. However I did poach it plenty and had no fear on alpines skis. The size, weight, free heal and no edges on jumping skis was really tricky. You only traveled about a third the distance on Alpine boards hitting it at full speed.

need lots of balance and balls to be a pro at nordic jumping. It would be way cool to see them build something like what is pictured again in an urban stadium setting. I'd go for sure

Glenn

We take a shortcut to route 30 that takes us by the one in Brattleboro. It's certainly not as big as any of those pictured. I'd like to get over there this season and watch some people jump.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We take a shortcut to route 30 that takes us by the one in Brattleboro. It's certainly not as big as any of those pictured. I'd like to get over there this season and watch some people jump.

different perspective on the jumps in the pictures due to there being open air and scaffolding underneath them. Harris Hill in Brattleboro is a 90 meter jump and unless those in the pictures are 120 meters, Harris is indeed as large.

Rambo

different perspective on the jumps in the pictures due to there being open air and scaffolding underneath them. Harris Hill in Brattleboro is a 90 meter jump and unless those in the pictures are 120 meters, Harris is indeed as large.

Those old elevated ski jumps look like 90 meter jumps to me. But the landing ramps are also elevated. Landing ramps are long - like 130 meters + maybe??

SkiDork

I get to see the 2 at Lake Placid every year when I bring Iceman to ramp camp. They look way scary. Never taken the ride up to the top, maybe this summer...