• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kneebinding -?-

Geoff

Didn't the old Look Nevada's and their subsequent turntable's have a lateral heel release?

I don't think so. You could only release straight up at the heel. The arms that attached the binding to the turntable prevented a release in any other direction. I skied that binding for 5 or 6 years from 6th grade through most of high school when I crossed over to the Salomon 555.

Beast_Ed

Website
youtube.com
These things will pre-release like crazy I bet ..... I guess we'll have less knee injuries but an increase in concussions and blown shoulders.

Since I've had all of the above, I'm just going to continue not to blow out or fall (so far, only crashed once in last 13 years - focus!)

Out -
B-Stead

tcharron

As soon as I see the word 'revolutionary' in the title of a news article, it pretty much states that it ISN'T an article, it's an ad.

Based on the other articles at 'Skipressworld', looks like they're a buncha shills.

Philpug

I believe this binding is indeed revolutionary, it is addressing a type of fall that is now prevalent witn todays skiing style. This technology falls under the title "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese", IMHO, someone i.e. Marker, Salomon or someone else will take this design (or redesign it) and we will see it on other bindings soon.

tcharron

I believe this binding is indeed revolutionary, it is addressing a type of fall that is now prevalent witn todays skiing style. This technology falls under the title "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese", IMHO, someone i.e. Marker, Salomon or someone else will take this design (or redesign it) and we will see it on other bindings soon.

But your not supposedly reporting on it. And while it may make things safer, I look at it as being simular to side impact airbags. Good idea? Sure! Revolutionary? Adding new airbags is NOT revolutionary. The airbags where revolutionary. Releasable bindings where revolutionary. Adding a new axis to release on?

Smart, but not revolutionary.

But regardless, people shoudl be able to form their own opinion based on a press article. It's ok to look favorable, but when your first paragraph is spoating the one award and one nomination received so far (*cough* Both where sponsered by the company who released the article *cough*), that's total shill.

Not once does the author actually present any information, he just hypes the product, and then asks the company themselves why they're so damned cool. Where's the comparison to other bindings? OOhh, right there in the sales speak of the company being interviewed. Where's third party reviews of the actual product? Once again, from the mouth of the salesman.

Here's an example. Let's say these bindings DO protect from one form of injury. Do they potentially cause another? Perhaps the third axis spring wears out after a thousand flexes. Or maybe the people who would benifit from these bindings actually find that they simply cannot be configured to NOT release during their typical ski trips. The company hasn't released these buggers to the guys who can actually beat on them, besides controlled, 'try these, and sign this NDA', situations.

KneeBindingMarketting said:
KneeBindings are Safer! The revolutionary new KneeBinding #M09 and #W09 ski bindings are premium products, providing all the convenience and performance, and all the retention and reliability of the best ordinary bindings.

PLUS - KneeBinding ski bindings provide a third dimension - a "PureLateral" heel release that specifically detects these combined forces and allows a skier's heel to twist out sideways just before such an ACL injury can occur - without pre-release issues!

All they have to do is prove it via independant reviews of the product. For cripes sake, for two years now they've been saying they haven't released them for independant review becouse, 'The man will steal our stuff! We need to hide it so we can bring the binding monopolies to their knees!'. You can buy the damned things from their web site. If Marker wants to steal their ubah stuff, they can just buy one.

mondeo

And it's not a third axis! It just allows release due to an in-plane force, not a moment!

Marketing is better than their understanding of physics. Worrisome.

tcharron

And it's not a third axis! It just allows release due to an in-plane force, not a moment!

Marketing is better than their understanding of physics. Worrisome.

Meh, one could easily argue that it is a third axis, but it isn't rotation around it, but movement along that axis. :-D

mister moose

Didn't the old Look Nevada's and their subsequent turntable's have a lateral heel release?

The old Look design had a ball bearing turntable under the heel. This allowed pretty good antifriction for the day, the heel would swivel as the toe released. There was never any lateral heel release. Look also had the greatest range of motion before release, and the vertical heel spring kept more of the weight away from the ends of the ski - less angular momentum. All this came at the price of being heavy.

Given an effective toe release system, I can't think of an advantage to the lateral heel release. Torque on the tibia=torque on the tibia, it doesn't matter which end releases prior to tibia/knee damage, as long as it releases.