• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Weather

What is your favorite weather to ski in?

• Total voters

GrizzlyFD

Stealing the idea from the Poll on Favorite conditions, what is your favorite weather to ski in.

I think mine would have to be skiing in a heavy snowfall. Not white out, but maybe 1-3" per hour. A lot of people don't like to ski while snowing, but I like the new snow refreshing the surface every couple hours or so. I also like the silence you get when your in the middle of the woods and you can't hear anything but your own breath because the snow is damping the sound from everything else.

Bosefius

I went for cold blue skies, but snowing moderately gave it a run for the money. In the end, visibility counts for a lot.

EPB

The colder the better, it lets the men ski while the boys cry about their feet in the lodge.

awf170

GrizzlyFD said:
Stealing the idea from the Poll on Favorite conditions, what is your favorite weather to ski in.

I think mine would have to be skiing in a heavy snowfall. Not white out, but maybe 1-3" per hour. A lot of people don't like to ski while snowing, but I like the new snow refreshing the surface every couple hours or so. I also like the silence you get when your in the middle of the woods and you can't hear anything but your own breath because the snow is damping the sound from everything else.

1-3 inches and hour, that a lot of snow. 3 inches is pretty much a total white out.

I would have to say heavy whiteout conditions as long as there are enough glades and Im not above treeline.

Npage148

I like the very cold crisp days when the sky is a full blue. Some of my best days were when they were doing exposeed skin checks in the lift line

GrizzlyFD

awf170 said:
GrizzlyFD said:

1-3 inches and hour, that a lot of snow. 3 inches is pretty much a total white out.

I would have to say heavy whiteout conditions as long as there are enough glades and Im not above treeline.

Yea your probably right, 3"/hr is a lot, but I don't mind. :D It also depends on the water content, temperature, wind, etc... I consider anything above 3"/hr almost definitely whiteout.

Greg

Staff member
Bluebird and 15-20 degrees is my first pic. Moderate snow (but still some visibility) would be my second. Spring warmth (~45) and sun would be third.

Tin Woodsman

Whiteouts only for this kid. Visibility isn't a problem in the trees, my friends.

Sky

highpeaksdrifter said:
I voted cold, but blue skys. I love skiing in the sunshine.

Ditto! The cold seems to keep the un-committed @ home or in the lodge. One of my favorite days @ Wachusett was a bluebird day in the single digits. I love the sond the snow makes when it's that cold.

squeak squeak

GrizzlyFD

Sky521 said:
highpeaksdrifter said:
I voted cold, but blue skys. I love skiing in the sunshine.

Ditto! The cold seems to keep the un-committed @ home or in the lodge. One of my favorite days @ Wachusett was a bluebird day in the single digits. I love the sond the snow makes when it's that cold.

squeak squeak

Same thing happened to me at Jay two years ago. It was early January and the temp at the summit was -20F, the temperature gauge in the wind measureed -40F. We basically took the tram up skied down in the trees, warmed up in the tram ride up, and repeat. It was ridiculously cold, but in the trees, shielded from the wind it was great. And the cold kept a lot of people off of the mountain.

I was surprised that Jay kept the freezer chair running, and there were people on it (not many though)!! I can't even imagine how cold it was on that chair!

bvibert

Staff member
I love being out with moderate snow falling, never skied in a whiteout so I can't comment there.

hammer

Sky521 said:
The cold seems to keep the un-committed @ home or in the lodge.
Sometimes its not the uncommitted...

I don't mind the cold as long as I can keep moving...the problem is that the rest of the family minds the cold (below 10 degrees F) a lot more than me, so it's a pain to go out on those days.

My favorite is a bluebird day in the low 20s...cold enough for the snow to stay nice and frozen but just warm enough to stay comfortable.