• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Free Ski Tickets for Whaleback

tcharron

When: Sunday, Jun 28, 2009
Description: Trail Clearing and Creation at Whaleback 1-3PM Volunteering is a great way to get some FREE skiing. Join us to help clear and build trails. We will be meeting on the deck at 1pm to head up on the hill to trim the areas that our mighty John Deere cannot reach. Those that have weed whackers with cutting blades or a chainsaw will be most helpful. Anybody that gives a few hours of honest labor gets 2 vouchers for skiing and riding at your local mountain, Whaleback!

Just an FYI from their web site. Gotta love a place that has some concept of community still. :-D

deadheadskier

Staff member
Drove by today on the way to my brothers in White River Junction. I might do the July date, but it's a bit of a haul to participate. I actually think it would be cool just to get out with Mt. Ops and see their vision a bit.

tcharron

Drove by today on the way to my brothers in White River Junction. I might do the July date, but it's a bit of a haul to participate. I actually think it would be cool just to get out with Mt. Ops and see their vision a bit.

I did it last year. It was hard work, but it was fun. But I suspect their vision is simply to maintain trails. :-D

Last year, it was taking an angry weedwacker to two trails that desperately needed it. The guys are really running the whole operation on their own. When I brought the kids last year on the free tickets, they really felt proud to have come up and helped me work. Kinda gave them a feel of 'their place'.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's great you involved your kids.

Still doesn't make much sense to me why they have these work for play days so early in the summer. I would think it would be best to weed whack late season. The stuff completely now would most likely grow back by ski season I would think.

tcharron

That's great you involved your kids.

Still doesn't make much sense to me why they have these work for play days so early in the summer. I would think it would be best to weed whack late season. The stuff completely now would most likely grow back by ski season I would think.

Last year they waited until late in the season, and there where a few things which weren't completed. Most of what they're doing now I gather is clearing downed trees, and taking down some of the brush that's grown up.

Last year, the brush on Jonah's Revenge had grown up so much, that it took like 5 of us 4 hours to even get half of it trimmed down, mostly becouse only two of us had trimmers with real blades instead of the 'string' type. Y.O.O.Y.M also didn't get nearly trimmed well enough.

As for the kids, I like the concept of making them work for their tickets. :-D Even if Billy at 9 years old was just picking up sticks and the such.