• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Music to Ski and Ride by?

A

ASC

Love them headphones!
My choices:
Best: --Metal(Pumps you up!)
----------- 70's rock(Got that driving beat)
Worst: --Jazz(Too spastic and complex)
----------- Reggae(reverse beat screws your rhythm up, makes me
----------- wanna stop and smoke a bone..)
Anyone else use da headphones? Love them MP3 players!
:beer:

J

jlangdale

I'm going to see about being able to publish my iTunes playlists. Been using sony mp3 and more recently iPod for skiing. Listening to music while skiing/boarding is good fun.

Joshua B

At one point I thought about listening to music while skiing, but I decided that for me it would be sensory overload.

Although music selection is key during the drive up. :)

J

jlangdale

Joshua B said:
At one point I thought about listening to music while skiing, but I decided that for me it would be sensory overload.

Although music selection is key during the drive up. :)

I think music can help you block out other stuff and concentrate on your skiing or boarding. I usually like to listen when I'm alone, early mornings the first few runs. Helps get into the zone.

When I do, I'm using going fast on my skis, carving a groomer and not having people pass me. I wouldn't do it if I was slow-poking on my board and not being able to hear people call out that they are passing you.

Greg

Staff member
Wow ASC. Mellow thread topic. Have you had your tryptophan already? ;)

I just got my iPod this summer so I'll definitely have to try that on the slopes if I do any solo skiing this year. I'm a big DMB fan, but I listen to all types of rock from classic to metal. One of the reasons I've always loved Beartrap at Mount Snow is because of the music...

Portable MP3 players are a great use of technology!

J

jlangdale

Greg said:
Portable MP3 players are a great use of technology!

Yea my only issue is the iPod seems less durable. I love my iPod for my car because I've got my whole library. Swapping my 6 cd changer got old fast. It's got the hard drive in it that can get fubar. I may end up still using this sony. It uses a media stick that you basically cannot break, the thing is smaller and lightweight. 128MB stick holds enough. Only bad thing is I have to use WInblows and Sony crappy software to use it.

6027620.jpg

jimme

Usually some Jazz, Classical or Reggae. Van Halen has some good tunes too. I was thinking some Polka is good too! Maybe some Zamfir on the Pan Flute. MP3 player's the way too go. Changing CD's is a pain.

Jimme

Greg

Staff member
jimme said:
Changing CD's is a pain.
Plus your asking for skips as you crash through the bumps... :p

J

jlangdale

I have minidisc deck in my Fiat Spider, a deck with my stereo for recording CD, and a walkman player. Also got a MD deck in my wife's CRV and she pretty much uses it now. She loves it because it's easy to record them. Mini-dics are VERY durable as well, no skipping. The players can be a little tempermental but are usually pretty good.

I like the MP3's smaller and less moving parts though. But for recording on the spot, the handhelds are great for that.

ChileMass

Old fart here - the sound of my heart jackhammering in my chest is music enough for me. Generally, I really like the quiet you only get way up on the side of ski hill in winter. Just like hiking in summer.....

Have a great Turkey Day y'all.......

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
as much as i love music and almost always have tunes on no matter where i am, as soon as i turn my car off at the mountain, the tunes are off. the sweet sound of nature, of powder flying off my ski, off silence when i stop, etc. can not be beat. plus i also think it's dangerous to not be able to hear while skiing, especially with other skiers around.

Max

I use a NEX MP3 player on the motorcycle and while hiking. It's about the size of a cigarette pack and runs on 2 AA batteries, for 18-24 hours. Takes a flash memory card, the same one used in my Canon camera. I have a few 256 mb cards, but now there's even a 512 mb card available, or it will also take the 1 gb microdrive. A 256 mb card will last all day with MP3's recorded at 128 kb rate. Or you can record them as WMA files and squeeze a few more on.

Tune selection? Well, let's just say it's a bit different. Michael Hedges, Martin Simpson, Pat Metheny, Al DiMeola, J.J. Cale

Max

jimme

ChileMass said:
Old fart here - the sound of my heart jackhammering in my chest is music enough for me. Generally, I really like the quiet you only get way up on the side of ski hill in winter. Just like hiking in summer.....

Have a great Turkey Day y'all.......

Quiet- That is my favorite. (I was humoring the young one in my previous post. :wink: Well, sorta.) Being one of the last few skiers on the mountain is great! The sound of your skis on the snow. A very subtle sound when it's powder.

All kidding aside. . .I did try listening to music a few times. Liked it on the chair ride up, but it also cut down on conversations. Then when I broke my leg while skiing listening to a Van Halen tune I decided that I might have been skiing to the music. That combined with lack of chair ride conversations made me decide to leave the music at the car.

Jimme

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I know for quite a while that ski areas did not allow anything with headphones that could prevent a skier/boarder from hearing a skier/boarder, snowmobile, groomer approaching them from any angle. I agree with this stand. I once had a friend that got hit by a groomer, fortunately he survived, but why ask for trouble.

I play tunes in my head while I ski. I come from a very musical family so there is always a tune in my head and on the tip of my tongue.

Joshua B

Now that you mention it teachski, I usually have a tune in my head when I'm skiing too. And it repeats over and over throughout the day. There is something to be said for repetition.

wavracr

What goes better with skiing and Vermont than PHISH??!!! I plan on getting an mp3 player for this season, since they are so small and I can load a whole show on to it. I admit loving the sound of crunchy snow, but Phish help me groove down the mtn.