• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Orion convert

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
A little stoke for the new owners...

Beef brisket
HPIM0382.jpg

HPIM0384.jpg

Corned Beef
685a6665.jpg

Ribs
IMG_0105.jpg

Pulled pork
PP03.jpg

PP06.jpg

PP08.jpg

(I know...posting snow pics is July is cruel
drooling1.gif
)

deadheadskier

Staff member
quick question for the pros

It is said that a great benefit of this cooker is it's speed. Has anyone experimented with lesser amounts of charcoal in order to cook at a lower temp for a longer period of time for greater smoking. Thinking of doing a batch of some homemade andouile sausage tomorrow and would want to smoke them for a long time.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

It is said that a great benefit of this cooker is it's speed. Has anyone experimented with lesser amounts of charcoal in order to cook at a lower temp for a longer period of time for greater smoking. Thinking of doing a batch of some homemade andouile sausage tomorrow and would want to smoke them for a long time.

I can't say I have. What flavor wood chips you using?

I'd ask over here: Someone there will know the answer.
http://www.orionoutdoors.com/community/forums/viewforum.php?id=1

Grassi21

I can't say I have. What flavor wood chips you using?

I'd ask over here: Someone there will know the answer.
http://www.orionoutdoors.com/community/forums/viewforum.php?id=1

not bashing the orion forum, but this is a great resource..

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
not bashing the orion forum, but this is a great resource..

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

Many smoking forums don't give the Orion enough credit for what it does. If it's not L&S, they don't give it a 2nd glance.

I'm sure that using a low and slow smoker, you can get 9/10 or 10/10 ribs out of it.

Orion would be 8/10. It's good for someone like me who doesn't have all day to sit around and smoke up something. I don't have that kinda free time in my life...maybe when I retire...

Glenn

Many smoking forums don't give the Orion enough credit for what it does. If it's not L&S, they don't give it a 2nd glance.

I'm sure that using a low and slow smoker, you can get 9/10 or 10/10 ribs out of it.

Orion would be 8/10. It's good for someone like me who doesn't have all day to sit around and smoke up something. I don't have that kinda free time in my life...maybe when I retire...

If you think the Orion doesn't get any love, see what they think of the ECB!

We need an ECB crew here. I think I'm the only one! :p

Grassi21

I am intrgued by the Orion. If I didn't already have my modified Brinkman I would go the Orion route. The main reason I don't use the Brinkman more is the amount of time needed to do ribs or pulled pork. If its a weekend and i have time to kill I don't mind the long cooking time on the Brinkman. I make Jerk chicken from time to time. What I usually do is get the smoke on it off the bat and then finish it in the oven to cook it through and crisp up the skin.

I'm doing something on the smoker this weekend... probably ribs..

Grassi21

you are not the only one...and for those of you who don't know what ECB means... it stans for el cheapo brinkman. i have put out some great pulled pork, ribs, and jerk chicken off of this beat.

IMG_0890.JPG

ps - the one in the pic was borrowed from a friend. i have since purchased one and added a new temp gauge and drilled some holes in the charcoal pan to aid air flow.

ctenidae

I have one of those, too.The letters on the front started peeling off right out of the box. So now it's my P. kman Smokngl