• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Yellowstone Club

NHpowderhound

For those who arent aware of http://www.theyellowstoneclub.com/ they are a private ski area/golf course.Members and guests only, much like a country club except it's skiing. It makes Deer Valley look like MRG(nothing against MRG,I love the place) as far as amenities go. They only have 864 residential properties for thier private mountain. They have over 2200 skiable acres and a 2700'vert plus 3 detatchable buble quads on a 13,400 acre property. So that makes for an incredibly low skier per acre ratio.
I have mixed emotions about this place. I guess if you have the money ($250,000 membership fee) and are willing to squander it in that fashion then good for you. Someone is willing to take it and I wish it was me. But I proabably never would have wanted to ski this place until you told me I couldn't! :lol:
((*
*))NHPH

John84

Here's a link to their trail map http://www.theyellowstoneclub.com/skiing/trailmap.pdf .

And some mountain info:
Over 2,200 skiable acres
2,700 vertical feet
Top elevation of 9,860 feet
400 inches of average annual snowfall

Pioneer Mountain Chairlifts:
3 bubbled high-speed quads
1 fixed-grip double
1 fixed-grip triple
1 Magic Carpet
Andesite Mountain Chairlifts:
1 bubbled high-speed quad
1 transverse "no-tensioning" lift
1 bubbled pulse quad
1 fixed-grip triple
2 surface platter lifts

More than 60 Runs:
15% Beginner
55% Intermediate
30% Expert

tirolerpeter

Yellowstone Club

A place like this can certainly generate some fantasies. It is another reason that I regularily purchase my $1 "Mega-Millions" Lotto ticket. Hey, you never know!

sledhaulingmedic

I have heard that they have some very interesting trail designs, many with "soft" edges. The trail is clear down the center, becomes wide glade as you move off center and continues to become more dense the further out you go.

No place I'll ever ski. Would be a poacher's trophy, though.

Bosefius

I knew it sounded familiar. I think it's been in one or two of WM's films. I really like that idea of soft edges.

bt

yeah a friend of a friend has skied it, said it was one of the best places he has ever been to and he is a bridger bowl ripper.

always powder and no lift lines.....if only i had millions......

peace
bt

KevinF

sledhaulingmedic said:
No place I'll ever ski. Would be a poacher's trophy, though.

There was an article in either SKI or Skiing magazine last month about one of their writers dressing up in a gorilla suit, entering from the Big Sky Resort area (The Yellowstone Club is the same physical mountain as Big Sky and Moonlight Basin), and skiing laps all day without ever getting stopped. He had somebody with him -- poaching as well -- to take pictures, etc. The photographer was never stopped either. I forget what her costume was. It was pretty funny.

I don't see what the big deal with the Yellowstone Club is. Big Sky itself is something around 4,000 feet of vertical down (although the top 1,000 or so are in the DO NOT FALL category), and there are ZERO lift lines. I was there for seven days last year and I just skied right onto the lift every time. You don't need to be a millionaire to ski Big Sky. Same mountain as YC, bigger place.

Geoff

Big Game said:
Bah to the Jellystone Club... all the players know the private place to be is 1/2-way between Okemo and Killington: http://www.bearcreekclub.com/

Seriouse though, anyone ever try it on the non-private weekdays?

I presume you're asking if anybody has tried Bear Creek? I did the first year they opened when they sent Killington property owners a flyer with a free ski day. The best way to describe it is ZZzzzzzz. The "clubhouse" is really nice with great food. A superb kid mountain and a good place to cross over from alpine gear to tele or snowboard.

Rick Torrey, who owns the Basin Ski Shop at Killington, skied Yellowstone last March. One of his affluent New York customers has a house there. He described it to me as lift-serviced backcountry. If you're a strong skier, you won't be crossing many tracks and you'll have lots of unskied chutes to play with. You need to be worth tens of millions before they'll let you build there. I guess that rules me out. :-(

Jean-Pierre Skier

The article "Call me Ho Ho" is in the November issue of Skiing Magazine. The author writes that on one occasion they kept the entire resort open and fully staffed (with multiple restaurants) because a mom from Greenwich, CT and her children were skiing there that day.

And then I wonder "Who do they think they are?" when these folks cut me off in their Cadillac Escalade driving their overprivileged brood to their "chalet" at Stowe, Okemo or Killington. I guess if I had my very own mountain, I'd think I was pretty hot stuff too.

By the way, I make no apologies for despising Escalades. They are very silly cars. And Hummers too. :wink: