• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

skiing Saturday??

DEVO

So I'm in FL for work and we are supposed to ski Waterville Saturday, BUT..... I hear it's real warm and raining like crazy up north. Does anyone think there will be any skiing left Saturday??? I need to decide whether or to cancel our motel reservation by tomorrow. Thanks!

thetrailboss

Staff member
You stole my thread idea! Oh well. :wink:

Bob R can tell you about Waterville.

From what I saw at Sunapee, they had a really deep base built up of machine made snow...I was impressed. I don't know how much is left though. Last snow report indicates all of those six trails were still going.

I can tell you that the Champlain Valley in VT did hit 65 F today and there was much rain in the 'dacks. Lots of fog. Natural snow is gone at lower elevations.

I hear that Sugarbush closed not because of the weather but because the rain/fog had eaten a lot of snow off of the summit run leaving a big bare spot. The ground is thawing back out again :roll:

Last report I saw for WV said 9 trails and two lifts. IIRC someone in here called WV and got a really honest response about the conditions...it's worth a shot.

I don't think that they will completely close, esp. considering that colder temps may be coming back as soon as tomorrow night. :beer:

Flurries and cold in the forecast for Fri, Sat, Sun.

:beer: here's to winter FINALLY starting.

thetrailboss

Staff member
EDIT: Whoa!! :eek: Kudos to Pats Peak for opening EARLY this season...turns out they opened on Sat. Nov 26th--one whole week more than scheduled!!!! www.patspeak.com

:beer:

Now this puts Cannon to shame again....

Zand

As TB said, the cold is coming back Friday with an inch or two Thursday night. A big storm is forecasted for next Monday-Tuesday, though.

Bosefius

ga2ski said:
thetrailboss said:
Damn state workers.

the key to surving this time of the year is deep bases, not multiple trails.

To survive meaning staying open, sure deep bases are good. However, I think getting the trail count up was a key factor for the holiday weekend. That had to help draw in a couple extra bucks for K-mart having over 50 trails, even if that number has been cut almost in half since.

LVNLARG

ga2ski said:
thetrailboss said:

Exaccccctly. Some others here would beg to differ though based on ?!?!?! :blink: So Zand...how are those main 2 trails at Mt. Wa holding up ? Based on that... How well do you think the ones that you wanted them spend 1/8 of the years snow making budget blowing 2-4 inches on (only to never see the closed rope unhooked) would be faring? :-?

hammer

thetrailboss said:
EDIT: Whoa!! :eek: Kudos to Pats Peak for opening EARLY this season...turns out they opened on Sat. Nov 26th--one whole week more than scheduled!!!! www.patspeak.com

Sweet...hope they don't lose it all either. :-?

thetrailboss

Staff member
hammer said:
thetrailboss said:

Sweet...hope they don't lose it all either. :-?

I was wondering if they were going to open based on the latest weather and then I went to the site and saw that they already HAD opened...and in quick time as well might I add. Last season they built deep bases that sustained a lot of bad weather...I imagine they will do the same. Now just think of what they will be able to do with that new snowmaking system that is coming down the pike...the one with the pond at the TOP of the mountain providing a gravity feed for the system. They say this will let them open the ENTIRE mountain in 48-60 hours :eek: :eek:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bosefius said:
ga2ski said:
thetrailboss said:
Damn state workers.

To survive meaning staying open, sure deep bases are good. However, I think getting the trail count up was a key factor for the holiday weekend. That had to help draw in a couple extra bucks for K-mart having over 50 trails, even if that number has been cut almost in half since.

I think there needs to be a combination of both. As a passholder, I was fine skiing two top to bottom runs at Sunapee which were in midwinter condition this past weekend as opposed to skiing through sketchy 'half-baked runs' :wink: Did we get a little bored? Sure. But I had a good time and it made me happy.

Bosefius

I agree that bases and quality are important. I'm just saying the fact that on a holiday weekend like Thanksgiving, the effort to open up more trails should have really paid off. I think that with all the natural snow, it wouldn't have taken 1/8th of the years snowmaking budget to add some extra trails. This effort then would help to draw in traffic. I'm saying that even though most of these trails closed, having them open for the holiday weekend was a good plan. This is assuming there are already a couple trails with good coverage to withstand some warm temps (like this week). I just agree with how K handled it, that's all.

Vortex

Its early season go and be happy. That being said Sat will be the only Sat missed by me this winter. Doing the concert thing.
Friday and Sat snowmaking should make stuff ok, plus the crowds will not exist after the Thankxgiving break.
The next 2 weeks are great new terrain every day and small crowds. Give and take this time of year. Hit Loon 1 day Waterville the other.
Loon had alot of cover last weekend. I doubt it would go away. They had snow stockpiled on the sides of trails.

DEVO

So........Loon or Waterville Saturday? We are staying in Lincoln tonight so Loon would be more convenient, but I would rather go to whoever has better snow right now.

Vortex

I always choose Loon over Waterville for skiing. Waterville is great for night activites and stuff. Just my preference. We will hook up this winter. Looks like a bit of natural snow will fall.

DEVO

Thanks for all the help, and in case anyone wants to know.... I just called both mtns and the kid at Loon said they might have the "west" side open with a couple of trails and the gondola should be running with maybe top to bottom. Waterville said the quad will be running with definate top to bottom on tippecanoe, lower tippy etc. They both said they got hammered by the rain, but they are both making snow as I type.

Vortex

I'm a west side guy. Babe's is a cool place for a beverage. Jen and Tom probably working. They might remember me.
I think they could have opened the west side Sunday last week, but just left the piles of snow alone to move around after the NCP. Enjoy. great up to date info nice thanx. Great post Devo.

skibum1321

Jay plans to have 3 trails and 6 lifts this weekend. There's something seriously wrong when you have twice as many lifts running as trails open.

JimG.

Staff member
skibum1321 said:
Jay plans to have 3 trails and 6 lifts this weekend. There's something seriously wrong when you have twice as many lifts running as trails open.

Even if it's a typo and it's 3 lifts for 6 trails that's pretty strange.

DEVO

So we decided on LOON and conditions were better than we thought they were going to be. Pretty good first day out, and now we are really looking forward to the season!