• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steel is Real - roadie droolage

bvibert

Staff member
The holes in the bottom bracket are there to give any water that gets inside the frame a way to get out. Water + steel = rust, which isn't something you want. :smile: The outside of the frame is treated against rust (aka, paint), but the inside usually isn't (although you can add rust-proofer to the inside, but you need to take all the "stuff" off the frame first).

I was guessing that they were for water drainage, just seems a little excessive to me. I'd think holes that big would allow a bunch of dirt and stuff to get up in there instead.

Trekchick

You need to start riding that pretty thing....she's way too clean!!!!

You need to start riding that pretty thing....she's way too clean!!!!

edit: This sounds a bit dirty after reading it! :daffy:
You know I read it exactly like you'd expect. ;)

Tell me, if a ski quivers bring on snowgasms then what do bike quivers bring on?

Road bikes actually stay clean so long as your not riding in the rain.

I've ridden it a few times but I've gotten some crap from friends because I won't take it on gravel.....
Does that make me a wussy?

mondeo

I've ridden it a few times but I've gotten some crap from friends because I won't take it on gravel.....
Does that make me a wussy?
No, it means you're sane. I hate riding on anything other than a paved surface.

Well, sane in this respect. Not going into other areas where sanity may be a little more questionable...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
No, it means you're sane. I hate riding on anything other than a paved surface.

Well, sane in this respect. Not going into other areas where sanity may be a little more questionable...

I don't have a problem with gravel because in Massachusetts, the paved surfaces are barely distinguishable from the unpaved.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Road bikes actually stay clean so long as your not riding in the rain.

Mine gets dirty...even when not riding in the rain....certainly more dirty than Trekchick's "pretty little thing"!

Definitely not as dirty as the mtn bike....but I ride a few thousand miles every season....and to keep a bike that clean....if you're riding some good mileage..you need to clean clean clean!

Trekchick

Mine gets dirty...even when not riding in the rain....certainly more dirty than Trekchick's "pretty little thing"!

Definitely not as dirty as the mtn bike....but I ride a few thousand miles every season....and to keep a bike that clean....if you're riding some good mileage..you need to clean clean clean!
That sounds kinda provocative. ;)

My bike is dirtier now than it was when I took the pics, but I still haven't ridden it as much as I had hoped to at this point. I guess life keeps moving along and we keep having fun with lots of different 'stuff' to do.
I still need to order a contemporary saddle. I love the Damsfly on my SS so I'll probably get the same thing for this road bike