• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

8-10-09 New England Ski Museum

drjeff

Okay, while not actually a ski TR, this IMHO is pretty darned close to one, espcially in mid August in New England.

Me + the family are on our way from from the Brettonwoods area yesterday, and as almost any parent can tell you, quickly after leaving the words "Daddy I need to go potty" fill the car :rolleyes:

So as my son is tell me this, we're just getting onto I-93 above Franconia Notch, so I figure let's stop in at Cannon and see if there's a bathroom by the tram that's open. Timed it just right as we were pulling into the parking lot the trams with side by side up around tower 2 and we got to watch the yellow car descend (both the little and big kids thought that was cool ;) )

The kids wandered on over to the exterior of the New England Ski Museum which was next to the Tram building and started climbing around the old Mount Cranmore Skimobile car that's outside and then going inside the original Cannon tram car that's incorporated into the museum. My wife and I then spent about the next 45 minutes just walking through the museum and checking out the history of New England skiing. Really neat place and sool stuff to see IMHO.

Definately would recommend a walk through it (free admission BTW) if you're up in that area :)

hammer

Thanks for the mention.

I'll be camping with the family (+ dog) in Franconia next week...may stop by to check it out if someone doesn't mind waiting outside with the dog for a bit...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I grew up 45 minutes away and am the recipient of many gift items from the museum, but I have yet to visit. Their ski ties (I own 2) and other ski stuff are all great.

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Great idea doc been thru the area many times and stayed in Franconia and Bethlehem but never stopped but wondered about it ------------next time its a must do

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Lemme see.

New England Ski Museum highlights: Drive-up potty, rusty old ski area junk for your kids to get injured on, no lift lines, place for dog to poop, admission free.

I'm in! :)

p.s., Were there any stuffed ski racers? ;)

drjeff

Lemme see.

New England Ski Museum highlights: Drive-up potty, rusty old ski area junk for your kids to get injured on, no lift lines, place for dog to poop, admission free.

I'm in! :)

p.s., Were there any stuffed ski racers? ;)

Well, since I had just recently eaten a big breakfast and I USED to be a ski racer, yup ;) :lol: ;)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Well, since I had just recently eaten a big breakfast and I USED to be a ski racer, yup ;) :lol: ;)

All seriousness aside, it is a nice museum. Made me want to take some of the old boards home. Would be interesting to have more info on the displays - like a row of skis by itself doesn't help me learn, but tell me why each board is significant enough to display, the why when and where of it would help too.
One of thew few places to get ski related goodies that really probe into the heritage of skiing. I belong to Skiing Heritage and while a little pricey it's hugely insightful, info I could not get easily elsewhere. Can't imagine what the colorado museum is like.