• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Snowstorm Sat/Sun?

MtnMagic

The big snow fall will be in Southern NE ( CT, RI, MA and points further South.) Too bad, really. It is cold here, in the single digits, but no deep snowfall. My skis, skates, snowshoes and winter hiking boots are waiting to be put to real use, not yet though. Ready, willing, and most definitely able!

Greg

Staff member
Our local weatherguy (out of New Haven) predicts the storm to go well south of New England. There's still hope though as it's a few days out. There's cold air firmly in place; we just need a favorable storm track. Best bet may be the Berkshires if this thing comes further north than currently predicted. Jiminy may be good!

Greg

Staff member
It's looking more favorable for a dump in the Berks. Head over to the B-East, Jiminy, or B-nut if you can on Sunday! I'm heading to Jiminy for the first turns of the season! Woo hoo!

J

jlangdale

Greg said:
http://sirocco.accuweather.com/iwxpage/adc/popup/iws0.jpg

Heh I was about to post that link too. Still very sketchy for a Saturday/Sunday event. Has time to change.

I'm up in the air, might hit Killington or even considering Mount Snow. Sugarbush ( $28 ) is same old 4 runs (really 1) with downloading on the GMX which actually begins to suck fast esp. when cold. Looks like the more northern places are lagging with their snowmaking. Maybe they are waiting for the natrual stuff and saving money. Southern places do whatever they can to build base.

I was thinking Jay Peak ( $30 ) but their open trails don't look all that great. I think I'll wait for the real stuff to open.

Mount Snow ( $40 ) says 16 trails and 4 lifts. Hmmm, and they are way south. Got Exhibition, Overbrook, Canyon, even stuff on the North face open. Could be worth it to get there early on Saturday and Sunday. Although it's going to be a drive for me from being up north now. I've not been to Mount Snow in a few years, could be fun to revisit.

Greg

Staff member
jlangdale said:
Mount Snow ( $40 ) says 16 trails and 4 lifts. Hmmm, and they are way south. Got Exhibition, Overbrook, Canyon, even stuff on the North face open. Could be worth it to get there early on Saturday and Sunday. Although it's going to be a drive for me from being up north now. I've not been to Mount Snow in a few years, could be fun to revisit.
I went to Snow last year for the first time in probably 5 years. You will be surprised by the number of additional buildings at the base.

Snowdance could be fun if they have the typical rolling mounds from the guns. Fallen Timbers on the North Face is cool and they'll probably have Free Fall open soon, I would guess. Enjoy, wherever you go!

News Channel 8 out of New Haven is now predicting 8-14" in CT Friday night into Saturday. :eek: The snowblower is ready! Hope the Berkshires can grab a little as I'm heading to Jiminy on Sunday!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I have such a backlog of stuff to do (much of it in piles covering the entire kitchen table and my desk), that I'm sacrificing this storm to curl up at home with the file cabinet & shredder.

But once that's done, I'm free to start shopping for some bc skies. I'll start another thread one of these days asking about where to go to demo different skis and boots.