• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

UMaine Trail System - 8/11/09

BackLoafRiver

Got out around 3:30 today with my friend Jeff. Stayed on the numbered side of Stillwater ave. Very similar route to what we rode a week ago. Unmarked single track that comes off the bike path and runs parallel to it with a bunch of big dips. Lots of fun. Eventually it parts from the bike path and leads you into the woods.

Some pictures you might (or might not) appreciate:

Several wooden obstacles:
DSCN3182.jpg

My buddy Jeff going for one:
DSCN3186.jpg

And then bailing:
DSCN3187.jpg

This was pretty cool but creepy. It is a deer skeleton but there was nothing else left of it except the jawbone which was underneath:
DSCN3181.jpg

This trail dumps you onto a large double track from which there are several possibilities. The unmarked stuff is quite technical. No real pitch to speak of. Mostly a TON of rocks and roots.A few times I had to get off and walk after I got ejected from the saddle. Ended up on a very twisty turney track off the double that had a little elevation mixed with some rocks. Huge fun despite some falls.

Rode for 1.5 hours. Need some gps/ bike computer recommendations so I can start logging this stuff more accurately. Hope you enjoyed. Great day for us.

~Mike

Greg

Staff member
Cool. Look into the eTrex Vista HCx. Seems to be a popular GPS which is also good for hiking, BC, etc.