• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nashoba Valley opening this Friday Dec. 5

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Oh yeah, lemme edit that.
Leave it, or my stupid post will make even less sense. Hardy har har...

Joshua B

Haha :D

After work I think I'll suit up and make the 3 mile drive for my first turns of the season. I've lived close for over three years but have only skied there once. I think I'll mess around over there a few times this season. Why the hell not.

J

jlangdale

Looks like southern area might get a big dump from this storm on Sat or thereabouts.

Joshua B

This evening I took a drive over to Nashoba to check out their progress. For a ski area that is not open, they sure had lots of cars in the lot. I guess when you combine the Ski Market Underground staff and customers, the Outlook Restaurant staff and customers, and the snowmaking crew, the number of bodies adds up.

Night-time snowmaking is a beautiful thing. As of 6:45 snow was being blown on the beginner area, War Dance, and Nashoba Slope. The beginner area is just about done, Nashoba Slope is getting there, and I estimate War Dance will take all night to complete. I called earlier today and they will be open until 10 PM tomorrow night. The rental shop will also be open.

Look, I know Nashoba is just a bump, but it's a popular place and it's well-run, which I respect. Plus, I actually live close enough to a ski area to check it out every once in a while and report back to you. I know my Nashoba reports aren't as valuable as those from someone living in God's country in the Northeast Kingdom, but let me do my part. 8)

teachski

Website
teachski.com
It's nice to hear about these close places, particularly the ones that are open at night so we can zip over after work. I live very near to Wachusett (20 minutes), and I get out of work at 2. If I leave from work I can be there by 2:45 (I work in the opposite direction). With a Century Pass I can ski from 2:45- 7 or 8 and then head home, or I can stay till closing if I choose. I think they opened today.

Also, support the little guys, Pine Ridge (great place to learn and for families with young children and/or a limited budget) is reopening this year after being closed last season. There is new management and things are changing around there. They went to look at a chair the other day and are committed to installing one for next season. They will also be adding tubing. For this year they will run with the T-bar and rope tow lifts. The new owner is committed to making positive changes there.
This year- Friday Night=family night (mom, dad and kids ski for $30-rentals not included)

J

jlangdale

Nashoba is just a bump but I love it. You can get tons of little short runs in and it's a blast for night skiing. Can't really beat it. I think I've had more fun night skiing there than at Pat's peak or Stowe.

I'm going to try to get down there for some night skiing on a Friday or Saturday before going to to party with friends from Lowell sometime.

ChileMass

Plus - the Outlook Restaurant is a great place to get a cup of chowder and a beer while your kids ski on that little bump.......

J

jlangdale

ChileMass said:
Plus - the Outlook Restaurant is a great place to get a cup of chowder and a beer while your kids ski on that little bump.......

Yep, the Outlook is one of my favorite ski dives. Really nice place to grab a steak and beer while watching Monday night football and people hit the jump off War Dance. I like it better when the restaurant is not so crowded though.

Joshua B

Nashoba is officially open now! It looks like my little night at the bump has turned into a group of six of us. Should be fun!

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Nashoba is officially open now! It looks like my little night at the bump has turned into a group of six of us. Should be fun!
Great! Have a good time and be sure to post a report.

J

jlangdale

Joshua B said:

Ah, you're going today? I wish I was going night skiing at Nashoba. Not in that neck of the woods anymore. I guess I'll just have to settle for the day vert at the bush :)