• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$$$$ 4 Clunkers over 8/24 8PM

campgottagopee

When I bought on this program one dealer said "give us a 3,500 check and when we get a check from the govenment we will issue you a $3500 check." We walked out and 30 min later bought a car elsewhere. I feel for the dealers. I also feel that it is a choice to participate. seems like dealers chose which way to participate. That also make a difference on if you got a sale or not. Same deal in my buiness. Do I sell the slow payer or not? WE would have not purchaed a vehicle without this program. I would have just given my son the old Van as his 1st car.

Yup, we did have a choice, but again nothing is going how promised---nothing

campgottagopee

EXACTLY!!! Everyone thinks that its great to be the boss until you have to be the boss and deal with 98% of the sh$t that those that aren't the boss don't realize goes on!

I'm sure that Gov't IOU for the $$ will really help with covering payroll

Bingo---every biz has a war chest but when that some beech opens up there's hell to pay. Or at least employees :spin:

campgottagopee

Just tell the congressman to float an interest-free loan to the dealerships so that the customers can get their vehicles. :razz:

I actually don't blame the dealerships for withholding vehicles until they get paid, but does that really help them financially?

I still stand by what I said before...this was a different, government run program, no one should have really expected it to work as advertised.

I wonder what the stories would have been if the rebates were processed more quickly and without restrictions...like some other much larger bailout programs...:roll:

Obviuosly to expect this to work exactly as planned is very close minded. For it to work nothing like it at all is a shame.

wa-loaf

FYI, there are a ton of Gov't run programs that benefit people. This one was just put together too quickly. I'm having my house sealed and insulated. $1000 for $3500 of work. No hitches, no problems, no hold-up. The only difference, besides a little more money being available, is that it's an established program.

If you live in Mass I recommend calling MassSave to have a free energy audit done on your house. They will then do all the work in figuring out what you need and what discounts and rebates you can. This covers windows, insulation, appliances, furnaces, etc ... I'm sure there is something equivalent in other states.

hammer

Obviuosly to expect this to work exactly as planned is very close minded. For it to work nothing like it at all is a shame.
Don't get me wrong...I do feel for the small businesses that are waiting on the promised rebates. I just think that everyone's being a bit unrealistic on how long they expected it to take since the program was so new and different.
FYI, there are a ton of Gov't run programs that benefit people. This one was just put together too quickly. I'm having my house sealed and insulated. $1000 for $3500 of work. No hitches, no problems, no hold-up. The only difference, besides a little more money being available, is that it's an established program.
+1...with a little emphasis...

drjeff

Just tell the congressman to float an interest-free loan to the dealerships so that the customers can get their vehicles. :razz:

I actually don't blame the dealerships for withholding vehicles until they get paid, but does that really help them financially?

I still stand by what I said before...this was a different, government run program, no one should have really expected it to work as advertised.

I wonder what the stories would have been if the rebates were processed more quickly and without restrictions...like some other much larger bailout programs...:roll:

Being a bit sarcastic here, let me preface the following with that.

But, if the folks in Washington had been thinking a bit prior to implementing this instead of worrying about ways to show that some stimulus $$ is actually be spent, you'd think that maybe, just maybe you could have gotten a few of the thousands of employees that the IRS uses to process claims (and generally quite efficiently I might add) to handle some of the paperwork load associated with this - while the processing folks at the IRS are hadnling some claims and quarterly payments this time of year, the volume of paperwork they have now is much less than what they handle in Jan-April.

hammer

Being a bit sarcastic here, let me preface the following with that.

But, if the folks in Washington had been thinking a bit prior to implementing this instead of worrying about ways to show that some stimulus $$ is actually be spent, you'd think that maybe, just maybe you could have gotten a few of the thousands of employees that the IRS uses to process claims (and generally quite efficiently I might add) to handle some of the paperwork load associated with this - while the processing folks at the IRS are handling some claims and quarterly payments this time of year, the volume of paperwork they have now is much less than what they handle in Jan-April.
Good point...problem is that it can't apply to the government because it actually makes sense...;-)

(spoken from a military veteran who was in the Chair Force and from the spouse of a person who works as a DoD contractor)

Warp Daddy

Lol, if I had a nickel every time I've said or thought that...

+1 that plus the fact that those "esteemed worthies" in DC behave as if the $$$ coming in from we "the great unwashed " is unlimited and thus what the hell chuck at all kinds of nonsense . The definition of insanity is to keep doing what you've always done while expecting Differant outcomes !

Time to vote out incumbents at all levels of government ----------nothing more insidious than the notion of "career politicians "

Dr Skimeister

From quick glances at the survey customers have been filling out I'd say 40% of the Clunker deals are from customers who would've purchased used but becasue of the deal went with new, so they were ion the market any ways. The other 60% would be made up of customers replacing second vehicles, parents trading in junkers for kids going off to school and people who bought just because we got them financed. As for increase in sales at minimum 30% is my knee jerk, maybe even more.

The utter frustration here is with the total mismanagement of this program by NHTSA----you will see some dealers go bankrupt because of this program.

Dogs are great---only problem having now is my choc boy is ready to go hunting and we can't.:cry:

Now I have a better understanding.

As a small business owner, I know the frustration waiting for a bill to get paid. We have fixed expenses that need to be settled.

One way I look at it though, is that you say that the program has resulted in a net 30% in new business. Even if the depreciation of that money while you're waiting for the check nets it down to 20-25%, that's still a decent shot in the arm for the bottom line. I guess it's just a matter of if a dealer has the float to carry it until the government checks arrive.

dmc

Right, got $750,000.00 I can borrow??? I'll pay you back in 10 days, really.

Give it a chance???? I think we would if it worked even remotely like we were told it would. This is a joke, and not funny ha,ha.

i hope you get your money...

In fact lots of this $ does come from me(us)... If you get it soon as the Govt says... then that would be great for you...

Have you called your represntitive about this? Engaged the process?

ctenidae

Right, got $750,000.00 I can borrow??? I'll pay you back in 10 days, really.

Give it a chance???? I think we would if it worked even remotely like we were told it would. This is a joke, and not funny ha,ha.

I wonder if any of the receivables factoring guys have figured out a way to buy the chits from dealers. You'd probably take a 15% haircut, but maybe less, since it's a timing question more than a creditworthiness question. Theoretically, anyway- one has to assume that the gov't is good for the money, it's just a matter of when.

dmc

I wonder if any of the receivables factoring guys have figured out a way to buy the chits from dealers. You'd probably take a 15% haircut, but maybe less, since it's a timing question more than a creditworthiness question. Theoretically, anyway- one has to assume that the gov't is good for the money, it's just a matter of when.

I think our $ will make it to him... I just think they are trying to do it right... I'd imagine theres a ton of people trying to "get over" on this and make off with our $...

dmc

+1 that plus the fact that those "esteemed worthies" in DC behave as if the $$$ coming in from we "the great unwashed " is unlimited and thus what the hell chuck at all kinds of nonsense . The definition of insanity is to keep doing what you've always done while expecting Differant outcomes !

Time to vote out incumbents at all levels of government ----------nothing more insidious than the notion of "career politicians "

Until that revolution occurs - what do you do? Vapidly complain or engage the process?

Vortex

I really hope you get your money before it hurts too much. I just like the program and I think it helps consumers and business owners. I agree that implementation is harder on the business owners.

You had a post on whom is buying the cars. Very interesting post. I will still by my son a car some time in the next year. It will be a used vehicle. I would have bought a new vehicle for our family at the same time.

This program moved up my purchace buy a year most likely. As a consumer I was able to buy a better car becasue I got a better trade in value as well.

I will also probably buy a newer car for my son now that many older cars are off the road.

dmc

People came in and bought cars... That worked...

Many dealers didn't do this because they don't trust the govt to spend my $

Warp Daddy

Until that revolution occurs - what do you do? Vapidly complain or engage the process?

I have ACTIVELY engaged the process for years my man having made trips to DC and Albany yearly to do so. Just this year during the Budget session trips were made to Albany and regional offices of our fed reps .

Moreover i work the phones and talk with these guys frequently . Did so for over 30 years in my professional life . AS a result ,I am MORE than famil;iar with how government functions "on the inside " and THAT my friend is why i am of the opinion that i expressed here .

Whatever you think IT IS -------------IT isn'T =The unfortunate reality of what is going on when the doors are closed and the deals are done . Mostly what the public sees is "Bad theatre " at best