• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$$$$ 4 Clunkers over 8/24 8PM

dmc

I don't have any hackles either just a healthy skepticism about another "READY FIRE AIM " approach to governmental CONTROL

.Better planning and communication and elimination of game playing ( allowing one to buy a truck getting 3 more mpg than the clunker )might have made for a smoother initiation .

I hope the dealers all make out and that cash flow problems abate . I am yet to be convinced that deemand will continue and the precedent that was set is a very slippery slope for future bailouts . Hope i'm wrong here but time will tell

funny... You have hackles my friend... that whole paragraph was hackley....

All you can do is sit back and wait for the Govt to do the right thing and catch up with this stuff... And maybe we've stimulated the industry enough to keep it alive until things get better...

Warp Daddy

funny... You have hackles my friend... that whole paragraph was hackley....

All you can do is sit back and wait for the Govt to do the right thing and catch up with this stuff... And maybe we've stimulated the industry enough to keep it alive until things get better...

Nah no hackles and certainly not a shrinking violet --just an independent thinker who doesn't drink the kool aid --LMAO

you seem to be a mite PRICKLY today:D which is fine opinions are like well i wont go there .

I do way more than sit back I tell them where and when i don't agree .

Never was a bench player i always GOT IN THE GAME it's way more fun :D:D

dmc

Nah no hackles and certainly not a shrinking violet --just an independent thinker who doesn't drink the kool aid --LMAO
you seem to be a mite PRICKLY today:D which is fine opinions are like well i wont go there .
I do way more than sit back I tell them where and when i don't agree .
Never was a bench player i always GOT IN THE GAME it's way more fun :D:D

First of all.... The Koolaid thing makes me mad...

I'm not prickly - of more so then usual. I'm just trying to resolve the opinions coming from people I know that sell cars.. 2 local guys said... this whole thing saved them... Another guy i know from further upstate says it's been great - he's kinda new... But said he's never seen so many people in the showroom....

So everyhing i hear is good..

And then there's AZ... And Fox news...

campgottagopee

Camp, Is there any "in the industry" concern that this will become another event similiar to what 9/11 did, where it had dealers suddenly dropping their financing rates to 0.0% to get customers into the dealership and then the customer base basically not being interested in buying unless they kept getting 0.0% for a number of years after???

I could see some of the public basically saying "well the economy still stinks, so congress will probably do another cash for clunkers in the future, so I'll wait rather than buy now" type thing happening.

That's a concern of mine for sure---look what happened to GM/Chrysler after they whored themsleves out. In all fairness this was a very short "blast" so I don't think the effect will be more than a month or 2.

campgottagopee

I'll disgree with you on this. Allbeit, the most politely way that I can. :beer:

It stimilulated things...only temporarily. I see dealers being in the same situation they have been unless the economy as a whole picks up.

+3 mpg isn'g going to do a heck of a log of "greening". This program required the vehicles to be running, not "push, pull or tow". So we're taking functional vehicles and destroying them. When it comes to environment, more harm than good.

Again, :beer: just my take. Classic version of someone seeing the glass as half full and one seeing it half empty.

From what I saw 3mpg increase wasn't the norm---on avrg I'd say 12mpg would be more accurate. Obviuosly it depends on what product you sell but here I am OUT of Versa, Sentra, Impreza, Legacy, Outback, Foresters.....all the stuff that gets good MPG

campgottagopee

I'm not prickly - of more so then usual. I'm just trying to resolve the opinions coming from people I know that sell cars.. 2 local guys said... this whole thing saved them... Another guy i know from further upstate says it's been great - he's kinda new... But said he's never seen so many people in the showroom....

So everyhing i hear is good..

And then there's AZ... And Fox news...

What they are telling you is correct----I fear it was nothing other than a band-aid and further down the road is my concern as should be your friends. Yes the "fat" check over this 30 day period will be awesome---how skinny will they be in the next 60 days kinda thing. IMO, at best, I hope it averages out.

Dr Skimeister

I'll disgree with you on this. Allbeit, the most politely way that I can. :beer:

It stimilulated things...only temporarily. I see dealers being in the same situation they have been unless the economy as a whole picks up.

+3 mpg isn'g going to do a heck of a log of "greening". This program required the vehicles to be running, not "push, pull or tow". So we're taking functional vehicles and destroying them. When it comes to environment, more harm than good.

Again, :beer: just my take. Classic version of someone seeing the glass as half full and one seeing it half empty.

Perhaps you're right about the stimulation to the automobile and banking industries being but a temporary tingle, and it may not do anything more than delay the inevitable death of these two bungling businesses. But 3-6 months ago, they were essentially flat-lining and it looked like all that was needed was for the proverbial fat lady to clear her throat and their demise would have severely crushed any hope of economic recovery in the foreseeable future. At least now it looks like we've taken a step or two back from that abyss.

As far as the "greening" concept, I wonder how many of the "clunkers" will find new life in the foreign markets (Mexico, other Latin America countries) as is the case with so many of the American market trade-ins.

There is the inevitable political aspect of a discussion like this that we're doing a decent job of skirting around. Some of us will be more likely to support a program because someone with similar political leanings instituted it while others will hope for it's failure for no reason other than because the people currently having more say in policy making have made the policy.

dmc

As far as the "greening" concept, I wonder how many of the "clunkers" will find new life in the foreign markets (Mexico, other Latin America countries) as is the case with so many of the American market trade-ins.

Pretty sure they have to be crushed as part of the deal.... Then recycled... Which is good.. If done right...

Vortex

We are only looking at one side of all of this. Well I guess I may be the only one of the group that bought under this program, but We have more fuel efficient cars on the road.

The less fuel being used will help in general here for years.

Plus these news cars in general have better emission systems than older ones as well. There is some benefit beyond 60 days here. Consumer benefit matters here as well.

dmc

What they are telling you is correct----I fear it was nothing other than a band-aid and further down the road is my concern as should be your friends. Yes the "fat" check over this 30 day period will be awesome---how skinny will they be in the next 60 days kinda thing. IMO, at best, I hope it averages out.

I hope it all works out... You are important to the US... and I thank you..
HAng in there!

hammer

Pretty sure they have to be crushed as part of the deal.... Then recycled... Which is good.. If done right...
Before they are crushed the engines have to be disabled...I don't think that the clunker cars will see much use, even in the junk parts market.

Warp Daddy

Camp i'm sure hoping like most of your colleagues that it does work out and that the peaks and valleys of profitability become more like a steady flow,than a 30 day blip. It comes as no surprise that your dealership was selling really impressive mileage vehicles ----------------------good on ya

DMC: I still like ya nomatter what bro :D ---- just 2 dudes discussin stuff . We all got our opinions so no offense taken and certainly none intended yer way ----------------------------K ?????

dmc

DMC: I still like ya nomatter what bro :D ---- just 2 dudes discussin stuff . We all got our opinions so no offense taken and certainly none intended yer way ----------------------------K ?????

never a problem... If you'd have seen the abuse i took from the KZone Right Wing snakepit - this is nuthin!

They abused me while my brother was actually serving in Iraq.. i asked them to show respect and back off... they did not..

That was the last time i posted there... i like it here... the calm discussion makes me think about things not just defending myself and core beliefs...
:flag:

Glenn

The WSJ had a great article about the "stuff" they dump in the engine. It destroys the engine in minutes. Again, I just can't see the viability of destroying something that's working perfectly fine. This also took a good amount of decent used cars off the market for other folks who can't afford new/newer cars.

I'm still not sold on the MPG thing doing a lick of good. Another good article I read recently. Hybrid owners pay more for car insurance. Why? They drive more. It's often been said that if you put someone in a more fuel efficient car, they'll just drive more; mitigating the benefit of driving a more fuel efficient vehicles. Guess there's some truth to that after all.

mondeo

The WSJ had a great article about the "stuff" they dump in the engine. It destroys the engine in minutes. Again, I just can't see the viability of destroying something that's working perfectly fine. This also took a good amount of decent used cars off the market for other folks who can't afford new/newer cars.

I'm still not sold on the MPG thing doing a lick of good. Another good article I read recently. Hybrid owners pay more for car insurance. Why? They drive more. It's often been said that if you put someone in a more fuel efficient car, they'll just drive more; mitigating the benefit of driving a more fuel efficient vehicles. Guess there's some truth to that after all.
Diminishing returns on the value of driving would indicate if you get 10% lower per mile costs, you'd drive somewhere between 0% to 10% more.

Fundamentally, you'll get some benefit, but 10% better mileage may only translate into 5% energy consumption reduction. It's only a 10% reduction if someone puts absolutely no consideration on the cost of gas into whether or not they drive somewhere, and if it's no benefit then the person was just to stupid to realize they should have been driving more with the less efficient car.

campgottagopee

Adding to the mass confusion ans stress the webiste we go to to submitt our invoices on just crashed. :-o Glad I only have 2 more to submitt today.

campgottagopee

Hang in there!!!! And thanks!

Thanks DMC, no worries---spent yesterday in here subbitting claims like it was my job. We have reporters here today interviewing "Clunker" customers as they're picking up their new cars. Kinda cool----people are VERY happy they were able to take advantage of this program. :flag: