• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sleeping Bag Liners

Jason

Website
outdoors.jasonpaterson.com
So I've got a lovely Blue Kazoo which is rated to -7 (though I'd say it's likely not comfortable in -7, probably more like -2. It's a great 3 season bag that I can get away with on warmer winter nights. Predicting a warm winter night is near impossible, though. I've also got a good therma-rest pad with a R of 4.2.

Last week I found a sleeping bag liner in my local gear shop, and it said it would add an extra 8 degrees (celcius) to the minimum rating. I know ratings are usually baloney anyways, but if this is near true, it would be a nice, light, easily packed, warm solution for my TNF Blue Kazoo bag... without me having to spend tons of money on a new Winter Only bag.

Thoughts? Experiences with these liners?

JimG.

Staff member
Jason said:
So I've got a lovely Blue Kazoo which is rated to -7 (though I'd say it's likely not comfortable in -7, probably more like -2. It's a great 3 season bag that I can get away with on warmer winter nights. Predicting a warm winter night is near impossible, though. I've also got a good therma-rest pad with a R of 4.2.

Last week I found a sleeping bag liner in my local gear shop, and it said it would add an extra 8 degrees (celcius) to the minimum rating. I know ratings are usually baloney anyways, but if this is near true, it would be a nice, light, easily packed, warm solution for my TNF Blue Kazoo bag... without me having to spend tons of money on a new Winter Only bag.

Thoughts? Experiences with these liners?

I have one; worked very well with my +10 degree F bag up at the shelters at Hojo's during a cold and snowy hike/ski trip. The claim was that it would add about 20 degrees F to the minimum rating. Seemed about right.

I've since bought a better bag, but I still bring the liner along just in case.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Liners are great. Use at least a lightweight cotton one to prevent wear and tear and to protect your real bag. It's a hell of a lot easier to clean a cotton insert in the washer than to shorten the life of your bag by throwing it in the washer.

That said, my bag is rated for zero and I have a fleece sleeping bag I can throw into it to add some warmth if needed.

SkiDog

Just so you know if you havent already search them, this site has threads that go on and on about this type of thing...

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/

just use the search feature...and its totally worth registering...lots and LOTS of knowledge there...espeically about the New England area..

M

tduro

I've used an inexpensive vapor barrier liner, and I'd guess it adds 10deg. more comfort. It's so lightweight, it's a no brainer for winter travel.

My only complaint is that it's an extra layer, with an extra drawstring, and getting everything buttoned up for sleep is difficult. Getting out in a hurry isn't an option either.