• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best commute to the Mtn story....

Grassi21

One time I rode up to VT with Greg and bvibert. I sat in the back seat and farted the entire time. Good times...

In chopped up crap thru bumped up woods on top of firm, scratchy base. I will score more Virgin Snow then you by FAR this season.

At Stowe I can get to the stashes you hike to from the lift...who the heck skis bumped up woods..lol..only goobs that don't know where the goods are..

JD

Website
hotmail.com
At Stowe I can get to the stashes you hike to from the lift...who the heck skis bumped up woods..lol..only goobs that don't know where the goods are..

You could, but you don't. How many laps off the chin last year for you? As good as you think you know mansfield, you're skiing gaperland as compared to what exists there.

tcharron

The best commute to the Mt story is quite simply..

"So I grabbed my skis and opened up the slider on the back porch, clicked in, and went."

Now, if only *I* had that story. :-D

dmc

"So I grabbed my skis and opened up the slider on the back porch, clicked in, and went."

Sounds like 180 at Hunter... :)

millerm277

That was me at Killington for the V-day storm two years ago....Woke up in the morning at the Sunrise Condos, found out that I needed to shovel to even get out of the front door, could see 20ft in front of me, and that I could ski across the parking lot to Sun Dog since at least a foot of snow had fallen already....

My real story would be: Left for Killington at 6PM from NJ, and it was already snowing lightly. The precip just continued to pick up until there were more vehicles off the road than on it by the NY border (1.5 hours, normally 45min), kept going, making it to New Paltz around 8PM at which point we decided to call it a night, stayed at the Quality Inn there, woke up early, made first lift at Hunter instead, skied 25 inches of fresh powder, drove to Killington, and skied the next two days there. :-D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
JD's original post reminds me of a time I got a lot of untracked powder at Jay due to lots of folks not having snow tires. Jay had posted some employees down 242 just below the last steep pitch to try to control the chaos. Essentially, cars without snow tires were not making it up. Cars with snow tires were sliding into the left hand lane and passing. I can't recall what they were doing with the cars that couldn't make it up but they kept the road open for those of us with snows. Had a lot of untracked before everyone else finally got to the mountain.

Its one of the best things about driving into a snow storm very early in the morning... knowing that most people did not leave early and are getting slowed down and without snow tires some vehicles have a really hard time of things and don't even make it up the access road until the snow has slowed down enough to let the plows do the job.