• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best commute to the Mtn story....

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Mine. Wake up ealry. Dumping. Into the T100 with coffee. Hit eidleweiss for breakfast sandi....rollin up towards harlow. Dumping. Roads are bad, it's still dark. Roughly 7 o'Clock. As I approach todays edge I come up on a line of white-plated cars (3) moving very slowly. I know Harlow looms just ahead. I stop. No one coming up behind. I let the gap widen between me and the 3 cars ahead of me all stacked up behind the first guy going 20 MPH.
"He's never gonna make it..." I think to myself.
Headlights in the rear view, I punch it.
As I pass the matterhorn I can see the 3 are slowing. Another truck on my tailgate I mat it.
The first car stops in the meat of the hill, slips sideways and starts to slide back. The car behind him thinks about going around and shooting thru the narrowing gap that is the on-coming lane, but see's me and the Yota roaring up behind...triple pass with the truck in my rear view glued to my bumper. In the swirling chaos of my rearview I see the 3 jumbled and sliding backwards...blocking off the whole road with a line of vehicles stacked up behind them. On the lift line for the quad by 7:30, the ussual supects. All nine of us, including steve who was in the truck behind me sit and wonder where the heck everyone else is....the lifts open. One lap of glorious untrack powder...upper upper national to partridge to midway to the gully left of lift line to the lift. No line. Ghost town. Lap 2....nosedive, grill, midway, lower goat woods....back to the quad. Empty. Lap 3...Nosedive, bypass, rimrock, pumphouse, switchback woods, lower chin clip.....to the gondi, first on line with the same 9 folks.
WTF is going on?????
..then word comes.....
A bus and several other cars are sideways on the hill and the road has been close for the last 1.5 hours.
LOL.
((*
*))
((*

((O))
*))
((*
*))
PS
the Jones is High.

AndyEich

45min on autopilot in a Cessna 182 from Lawrence, MA to Bethel, ME. No traffic, no concerning weather. The free shuttle to & from the mountain has good tires or chains when needed. Dumped all weekend. The only problem was having to clean the snow off the plane on Sunday.
________
Web Shows

Last edited:

TheBEast

mine. Wake up ealry. Dumping. Into the t100 with coffee. Hit eidleweiss for breakfast sandi....rollin up towards harlow. Dumping. Roads are bad, it's still dark. Roughly 7 o'clock. As i approach todays edge i come up on a line of white-plated cars (3) moving very slowly. I know harlow looms just ahead. I stop. No one coming up behind. I let the gap widen between me and the 3 cars ahead of me all stacked up behind the first guy going 20 mph.
"he's never gonna make it..." i think to myself.
Headlights in the rear view, i punch it.
As i pass the matterhorn i can see the 3 are slowing. Another truck on my tailgate i mat it.
The first car stops in the meat of the hill, slips sideways and starts to slide back. The car behind him thinks about going around and shooting thru the narrowing gap that is the on-coming lane, but see's me and the yota roaring up behind...triple pass with the truck in my rear view glued to my bumper. In the swirling chaos of my rearview i see the 3 jumbled and sliding backwards...blocking off the whole road with a line of vehicles stacked up behind them. On the lift line for the quad by 7:30, the ussual supects. All nine of us, including steve who was in the truck behind me sit and wonder where the heck everyone else is....the lifts open. One lap of glorious untrack powder...upper upper national to partridge to midway to the gully left of lift line to the lift. No line. Ghost town. Lap 2....nosedive, grill, midway, lower goat woods....back to the quad. Empty. Lap 3...nosedive, bypass, rimrock, pumphouse, switchback woods, lower chin clip.....to the gondi, first on line with the same 9 folks.
Wtf is going on?????
..then word comes.....
A bus and several other cars are sideways on the hill and the road has been close for the last 1.5 hours.
Lol.
((*
*))
((*

((o))
*))
((*
*))
ps
the jones is high.

love it!!

Talisman

A light rain was falling in Reno, so I got up early and headed West on I-80. Hit the snow line close to the CA/NV border and traffic ground to a halt. NV was checking each vehicle for mandatory chains installed or four wheel drive. Traffic was crawling up the divide with 18 wheelers sounding like santa's sleigh bells with the clinking chains at ~15 MPH. I noticed no traffic East bound, none, not even a little. We got most of the way up the divide to Truckee when traffic stopped again. I slithered past a few trucks and made the exit for North Star just east of Truckee.

East bound and West bound I-80 was shut down! The side roads were in tough shape, but not 'that' bad.

Yeah, I know the jokes about North Star aka 'flat star', but there was just a few of us on the mountain and ~24 of new snow. Every run was untracked and there were rollers where the snow was up to my armpits. The trees held the goods and while North Star isn't Squaw it was awesome.

Nice JD..I didn't know you rode lifts...for me the best commute is anytime I can make it to the hill 30 minutes or more before opening on a powder day..

GSS isn't big on sloppy seconds..I usually allow up to an hour and a half to drive the 17 miles to Blue when it's dumping as people here in PA can't drive in snow..

Frers 33

Fifteen minutes after the lifts opened at Alta, SR 210 was closed for 3 hours for avalanche control work.

x10003q

I had a rental at Mt Snow in the mid 80s. On a Friday night driving out of NJ there was mixed precip all the way to Albany. The normal time to get to Rt 7 in Troy was 2-2.5 hours and we were up to 3.5hr. Once we got through Troy there was only light snow with some accumulation on the road. I was driving a Dodge pick-up with an extended cab and a cap on the bed. It was a stick w/4WD and good snow tires. By the time we got to Bennington it was snowing pretty good and we were moving pretty slow. After going through Bennington, I saw a police car with the lights on. I figured they were going to stop us at the bottom to wait for the plow. Well he just waved me through and held the car behind me. As I started up towards Prospect Mtn, I saw the plow coming down. We slogged our way over the mountain with nobody behind us and a couple of Blazers in front. On the way down to Wilmington the first Blazer went off the road. The other blazer stopped as did I and we were able to use the granny gear in my truck to pull the Blazer out. We had never met before. At this point it was a team effort. Eventually we got to the house around midnight. It took about 6 hours.
About 4am we hear our house mates pull up. The plow got stuck across the road near Prospect Mtn blocking both lanes and they had been in their car since 7pm the previous night. It was still snowing and there was about 15 inches down already.

When we woke up it was still snowing and nothing was plowed. I fired up the truck, jammed 10 people and their stuff into the truck and got up to the mountain (2 miles) in no time. There was nobody there until after lunch. The final snow tally was 25 inches and we had fresh tracks for most of the day. We ran into the guys in the Blazer and they treated us to beers at the end of the day.

A top 5 day.

Geoff

I've flown in a Piper Cheyenne 400LS to Sugarloaf a few times for spring skiing. The guy I've been doing all my startup companies with has owned one a couple of times. It cruises at 300+ knots so Lawrence, MA or Portsmouth, NH to the little airport at Sugarloaf is a really quick ride. He has a Cessna 421 now. Still a pretty quick ride but not anything like his Cheyennes.

campgottagopee

3 or 4 years ago the day after xmas I woke up to 18ish inches of snow on the ground and still puking out. Knowing the roads would be plugged with "homers" trying to get to the hill I hitched a ride via snowmobile from my neighbor. 20 minutes later I was on the chair :snow:

3 or 4 years ago the day after xmas I woke up to 18ish inches of snow on the ground and still puking out. Knowing the roads would be plugged with "homers" trying to get to the hill I hitched a ride via snowmobile from my neighbor. 20 minutes later I was on the chair :snow:

Wow...Did you have your skis strapped to a backpack???

campgottagopee

that is mad steezy yo..I've still never ridden a snowmobile..I've never wanted to give up a day of skiing to try it..

Don't blame you, I don't, wont either. BUT, they are cool and I do go on several "rides" (beer cruises) with some of my pals. Just about all the rednecks (except me) have multiple sleds and are always looking for someone to go riding with. Majority of the time it's at night so you're really not missing anything.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I thought JD didn't do lift served ... ;-)

Pass holder at stowe from 2000-2005, 80 plus days a year. Self powered skiier almost exclusively since then. I've seen both sides. Lifts are for getting old ladies up the stairs...