• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Releases Pass Rates

mondeo

Source:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2008/3/22/92434/7687

Again, Stowe caters to two niche groups: the skiing enthusiast, and the upper society people who ski. Killington and Stowe have relatively close costs for single day tickets, $82 vs. $89 without discounts. Stowe's season pass prices crush Killington's, though. You pay about 2x for a blackout pass at Stowe than at Killington. Yeah Killington's going to a higher income market, but still not as high as Stowe.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Killington could put gold crappers in the lodges and would not be able to attract the high end dollars like Stowe can or even Okemo or Stratton for that matter. Maybe with a village, but you can't erase the crapola that is the access road. Rich folk want Vermont quaint, something that Killington is definitely not.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Source:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2008/3/22/92434/7687

Again, Stowe caters to two niche groups: the skiing enthusiast, and the upper society people who ski. Killington and Stowe have relatively close costs for single day tickets, $82 vs. $89 without discounts. Stowe's season pass prices crush Killington's, though. You pay about 2x for a blackout pass at Stowe than at Killington. Yeah Killington's going to a higher income market, but still not as high as Stowe.

Doesn't really seem like your "source" is very reliable or fact verified based on the sites own mission statement:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Kuro5hin.org is a collaborative site about technology and culture, both separately and in their interactions.
Kuro5hin.org is a community of people who like to think. This is a site for people who want to discuss the world they live in. It's a site for people who are on the ground in the modern world, and who sometimes look around and wonder what they have wrought.
It's also a site for people who need a laugh now and then.
Kuro5hin relies on its readers -- it exists for you and through you. This site has an open submission queue. Any user can submit and vote on stories. If you want to see something posted, you can make it happen by participating in the moderation of the stories in the submission queue.
Garbage will not be tolerated. Others can and will rate your posts into oblivion. Mojo is our system designed to facilitate this community filtering. We have no intention of trying to stifle anyone's free expression and legitimate arguments (no matter how much we might personally dislike them). We hope most of you agree that this is the only way to keep a site usable and worthwhile, and that (as Bruce Perens put it) what we need is more "Freedom" and less "FreeDumb."
Now go read, think, and post. And be sure to tell your friends. ;-)
[/FONT]

mondeo

Doesn't really seem like your "source" is very reliable or fact verified based on the sites own mission statement:
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
Another point here:

And wiki.answers.com is a reliable source?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Killington could put gold crappers in the lodges and would not be able to attract the high end dollars like Stowe can or even Okemo or Stratton for that matter. Maybe with a village, but you can't erase the crapola that is the access road. Rich folk want Vermont quaint, something that Killington is definitely not.

Hey now Pres Smith would not appreciate that...

preston4.jpg

Wait--that is not Pres Smith!

Ah, there he is:

bilde

He was going after a different crowd...like a guy running for office, he wanted the "middle" of the market. And FWIW in Lorentz's book he talked about how he skied Stowe and folks didn't take him seriously up there. He used to sleep in his car because he could not afford a room for the night. And years later he became what he said he was going to be: the richest man in Vermont who owned the biggest ski area in Vermont!

I wonder if Preston Smith is richer than the guys in Phish??? Or the Ben and Jerrys guys.. The guy who owns Dakin Farms is a Stowe regular and he gets his pigs from Pennsylvania..he is straight up baller as well..oh yeah and Jake Burton and the Tubbs snowshoe dude and the Von Trapps and the hotties who work at Pie-Casso..anyway you slice it or dice it..Stowe is a gourmet town and one of the best ski towns in the universe

mondeo

Agreed..that's why I listed 3 sources...the last, Kiplinger, is using IRS stats....

It just seemed that the numbers in the article you cited were low especially when the 3 sources I listed all contain very similar numbers.
Different definitions of income. Comparison between BLS and IRS numbers is a little interesting, as they both skew the truth a bit due to what they actually capture, and subtleties are significant here. BLS reports wages, IRS reports incomes. Actual 10% wage level is higher than $76K because of overtime, 2nd jobs, and probably bonuses. But if I wanted to compare my actual salary to the 90th percentile salary, I'd go with $76K. Not the most accurate, but I know what my salary is and I don't have to worry about my average yearly investment earnings and bonuses.

I hate it when news agencies report statistics, because they never really report the important details that go along with them. Statistics don't lie, but statisticians do. It was just a random Google search that got me to that page, but I did actually like how it was written. It's very clear on the assumptions it made to get to the number.