• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Airport/Airplane gapers..those we love to hate..

Geoff

The 300 pound woman in the seat next to you. The one with the flab that oozes around the armrest.

The F'ing kid in the seat behind you who keeps kicking your seat.

The "can I change seats with you?" people who need to sit next to somebody when they have a middle death seat.

The "Euro-Smell" people on transatlantic flights.

The scream into their cell phone people.

The people who dawdle in the aisle getting off the plane. They're at their slowest when I have a tight connection.

The "I board early with a wheelchair" people who have a mid-flight miracle and walk off the plane without assistance.

The "lap baby" who looks like they're 17 years old.

The morons who can't put a bag in the overhead so the overhead door closes.

The people who bitch non-stop about the airline if there's a delay.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Those people who are so self-important and in such a rush to get off the plane that they pull out their mega-carryon when all the cattle are standing, causing three concussions, giving grandma a black eye and killing a baby when it falls on the seat below.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
The guy who refuses to turn off his laptop before you pull away from the gate...to the point where they threaten calling security on him. You're not that important.

ERJ-145CA

The people who have to be told step by step how to go through security.

I'm all decked out in my pilot uniform and someone asks me "Are you a pilot?"

Glenn

I had a guy sit next to me once and he asked for a "seatbelt extension". I had not idea those seatbelts they use in the safety demonstrations were actually extensions. Fat people should have to buy two seats. End of story.

drjeff

The paranoids who think(and let out a little scream/yelp) that with every minor turbulence bump that the plane is going to crash :rolleyes:

SkiDork

a lot of this stuff applies to the LIRR as well

Long_Island_Rail_Road_800x524.jpg

hammer

Had one yesterday...

My daughter (and I) are recovering from a stomach bug and we were flying back from FL yesterday. While on the first leg back my daughter throws up on the plane, and I noticed that she's feeling bad while we were walking off the plane so I was trying to get out as expeditiously as possible. Just figures that a person decides to stop up the line and ask the flight a bunch of questions about where everything is inside the terminal (where do I pick up my bag? where is the restroom?)

Fortunately, I grabbed an extra airsick bag because my daughter didn't even make off of the plane before she throws up again.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Had one yesterday...

My daughter (and I) are recovering from a stomach bug and we were flying back from FL yesterday. While on the first leg back my daughter throws up on the plane, and I noticed that she's feeling bad while we were walking off the plane so I was trying to get out as expeditiously as possible. Just figures that a person decides to stop up the line and ask the flight a bunch of questions about where everything is inside the terminal (where do I pick up my bag? where is the restroom?)

Fortunately, I grabbed an extra airsick bag because my daughter didn't even make off of the plane before she throws up again.

Sorry to hear that. That's bad for everyone. You, her, the passengers. Someone else's kid threw up on a flight years back. That smell just doesn't go away. 2 hours till landing. One of the longest flights of my life.

hammer

Sorry to hear that. That's bad for everyone. You, her, the passengers. Someone else's kid threw up on a flight years back. That smell just doesn't go away. 2 hours till landing. One of the longest flights of my life.
One of the concerns that I had was that the crew would get all panicked about having a person with a stomach bug on the plane...didn't want the plane to be quarantined or some crazy thing...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I sort of wanna take the Amtrak Acela from Philly to NYC sometime cause it goes so fast..I haven't been on a train in 8 years..

I've taken the Acela from Boston to Newark several times. When it gets up to speed it's pretty darn fast. It's not really worth the money though. If I recall it was like $150 one way when I last took it versus $90 for standard Amtrak. It only saved like an hours time, but it was the company's dime. Many municipalities limit how fast the train can pass through, so it does go super fast for very long periods of time.

drjeff

I've taken the Acela from Boston to Newark several times. When it gets up to speed it's pretty darn fast. It's not really worth the money though. If I recall it was like $150 one way when I last took it versus $90 for standard Amtrak. It only saved like an hours time, but it was the company's dime. Many municipalities limit how fast the train can pass through, so it does go super fast for very long periods of time.

When the Acela 1st started running the Boston/New York Route, my in-laws hadn't made the full retirement move down to the Cape yet. Their non-cape house was in Foxboro and the back of their yard abutted the main rail line for Amtrak as well as the MBTA heading to/from Boston from the South, and it was in an area where the Acela was "only" allowed to go 60mph. Seeing/hearing/feeling the Acela from roughly 20 feet away behind a chain fence at the back of my in-laws property was really a cool thing IMHO!