• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

You've Got to be Kidding American Idol!

Warp Daddy

Ellen while a fine comedian has no musical ability and is both Hopeless and clueless as a musician or promoter who truly understands what it takes to be a musical talent

Warp Daddy

The object is to select the best musical talent --and lacking appropriate credentials in that field is akin to putting an unqualified person in say an engineering job :D or judging the best engineering talent :D:D

I think we're going to make the tombstone for I forgot her first name..Cohen..the wacko from Allentown who swears alot and didn't make the cut..she died earlier this year in a hit and run..

Warp Daddy

What a bunch of haters---i like that show

The Queen and I watch it too altho i absolutely can't stand the "audition a capella stage of the show "

I abhor tone deaf , egomaniacs who can't carry a tune or note in a friggin wheelbarrow < Yep i'm a musician and VALUE quality effort, not shlepping thru the" psycho ward" that that phase usually entails

campgottagopee

The Queen and I watch it too altho i absolutely can't stand the "audition a capella stage of the show "

I abhor tone deaf , egomaniacs who can't carry a tune or note in a friggin wheelbarrow < Yep i'm a musician and VALUE quality effort, not shlepping thru the" psycho ward" that that phase usually entails

True dat Warp, my wife and I don't start watching it until all that crap is over.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Me and my queen as well. :lol:

Hawkshot99

What a bunch of haters---i like that show

man-card.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The object is to select the best musical talent --and lacking appropriate credentials in that field is akin to putting an unqualified person in say an engineering job :D or judging the best engineering talent :D:D
Warp, are you kidding me? No worse than the American populace that select their preference in music lacking musical knowledge and talent. Look at the charts and tell me that any one buying today's pop music has much musical talent. The record companies don't pick artists to sell records based on talent. Autopitch and the other music tech equipment can fix almost anything and they hire writers to make the music sound good to the populace. I think having someone with no musical talent or training on the show makes it much more realistic!!!!

:lol:

All kidding aside, I have no interest in realty TV (or TV in general for that matter) and don't really have much of an opinion here though I can appreciate someone of Ellen's sexual preference attaining prevalent and popular positions on well known shows. I find most people fearful of folks that are homosexual often form that opinion because they don't have any close associations with said people. Since most people have closer associations with television personality's than people in real life, I say bravo as it certainly can't hurt. And as mentioned, having musical talent is hardly a job requirement for anyone evaluating pop music as the buying public can attest.

:):blink::-D:lol:

Geoff

All kidding aside, I have no interest in realty TV (or TV in general for that matter) and don't really have much of an opinion here though I can appreciate someone of Ellen's sexual preference attaining prevalent and popular positions on well known shows.

Popular positions? You mean a little girl-girl action? That's popular as hell. :)

As comedians go, I think Ellen DeGeneres is pretty good. I'd rather see her doing pure comedy but she's entitled to sell out and make her fortune.

I don't ever watch American Idol. When I was Chief Architect at Cedar Point, we had 50% of the Comcast residential telephone footprint. The telephone voting on that damned TV show took us down every week from all the load. Actually, it pretty much took out the whole telephone network every Wednesday night. That caused an awful lot of late Wednesday nights for two years trying to figure out what broke this week. I usually didn't get out of work until 3am. Thank god the show ran midweek. It would have sucked if it had been on a weekend.

I'm not into reality TV at all. I watch movies and Boston sports on TV and that's pretty much it. My ideal programming has a hot chick in leather with swords or guns & ammo. Kate Beckinsale in Underworld. Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. Angelina Jolie in Lara Croft, Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil or The Fifth Element. Man card firmly intact.

Dr Skimeister

.... though I can appreciate someone of Ellen's sexual preference attaining prevalent and popular positions on well known shows. I find most people fearful of folks that are homosexual often form that opinion because they don't have any close associations with said people.

:):blink::-D:lol:

Ummm....what's next? Allowing "someone of Ellen's sexual preference" to drink from public water fountains??

From today's NY Times:

September 13, 2009
Editorial
The Rights of Gay Employees

It is remarkable how little progress gay people have made in securing the basic protection against discrimination on the job. In 29 states, it is still legal to fire workers for being gay. But momentum is building in Congress for the first federal law banning such discrimination against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Federal law has lagged behind the reality of American life. There are now openly gay members of Congress from between-the-coasts states like Colorado and Wisconsin. And according to the Human Rights Campaign, a gay-rights advocacy group, 85 percent of Fortune 500 companies have policies protecting gay employees from discrimination.

But gay rights advocates have for years faced opposition to a federal civil rights law from the religious right, and from parts of the business community, who argue that it would lead to a flood of litigation.

Bipartisan bills have been introduced in both the House of Representatives and the Senate, modeled on existing civil rights laws that cover race, religion and sex. Unlike some past bills, these include gender identity, protecting transgender people from discrimination.

The bills were written to meet some of the concerns of opponents. The law would not apply to religious organizations, or to businesses with fewer than 15 employees. It would not allow for quotas or “disparate impact” lawsuits, which generally use statistical disparities to prove discrimination.

There is reason for cautious optimism. In 2007, the House passed a nondiscrimination law that did not cover transgender people. The current Congress is more Democratic, and even in the past two years, gay rights have made significant strides. As states and localities have passed antidiscrimination laws, it has been clear that they do not disrupt the workplace, and they have not resulted in an enormous number of lawsuits.

Supporters in the House think they have the votes. The biggest hurdle is likely to be winning the support of 60 senators, the de facto number now required for most legislation because of filibuster rules.

People who believe in workplace fairness should lobby senators to get on board. It is unacceptable that in a nation committed to equality people can still be fired in more than half the states for being gay. Congressional leaders should make passing the Employment Non-Discrimination Act a top priority.

Copyright 2009 The New York Times Company

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Ummm....what's next? Allowing "someone of Ellen's sexual preference" to drink from public water fountains??

From today's NY Times:

September 13, 2009
Editorial
The Rights of Gay Employees
I think perhaps my quote above may have been taken out of context if you were suggesting my position was superficial approval. The context it was in was that people hate gays because they don't know them... i.e. people don't appreciate them as individuals and as people thus making it easier to hate against and in the above example, discriminate. It is easy to hate on someone who is a social "other". Tolerance, and even more important acceptance and approval has certainly been moved forward by gays in the media, IMO.

In reference to the article above, the fact that sexual "preference" (which makes it sound like a choice) is not illegal under national law is pretty disgusting, IMO. But this thread is getting hijacked quickly, so I will end this post here.