• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain: Open 2009-2010 Only F-M and Holidays

thetrailboss

Staff member
From the Magic Updates Page:

New Operating Schedule: For the 2009-2010 Season Magic Mountain will be open Friday through Monday, all Holiday Periods and any day following a 6" snow storm with at least 50% of the mountain open.

Mixed feelings on this one. Thoughts?

Awesome news..way better than them joining Nelsap but it still will be hard to keep employees with reduced hours and get more skier visits with less days..lets hope for a big winter in terms of natural snow..if we have a mild rainy winter..then I think the nail will be in the coffen for Magic and then they can hope Intrawest or Powdr buys them...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hard feelings because it shows that things aren't good, and makes the place less attractive to skiers and riders. :(

Good feelings because this model has worked for Pico and made that operation sustainable. :)

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I suggested this a few weeks ago in the Magic Thread. It makes a lot of sense to me, they take a huge financial burden off their books (labor during low volume days), plus no skier traffic during the week will help them get by with a limited snowmaking ability.

hope Intrawest or Powdr buys them

As much as I hope Magic stays independent, and I do, as a selfish Intrawest passholder I would be ecstatic with this.

WWF-VT

I think Mt Abram in Maine had a similar schedule a few years ago. Magic will save on a lot of operating costs and only be open when likely to have customers ready to buy lift tickets. Not sure what this means for potential season passes and other funding they are seeking. Must be a challenge to coordinate labor for that schedule.

Greg

Staff member
I think it's a smart move. I can't imagine that Magic is in any way profitable Tuesday - Thursday, short of a dump, and even then, probably not all that profitable. I think this approach also works for Plattekill which sort of has a Magic-like cult following. I usually only ski up north on Fridays midweek so it's fine by me. Can't wait to get up there this season.

how many people usually ski Magic Tuesdays-Thursdays??? with 16,000 annual skier visits I'd guess less than 100 each day which means with utilities and wages..they just lose more money..

I will personally be surprised if Magic survives more than another season with the current owners..they just don't seem very business minded and their balance sheet is a disaster..

faceplant

yep, just got this...

Dear Friends of Magic:

It is decision time with respect to the 2009-10 ski season. As you are all aware we launched the share sales in July with the goal of attaining 300 shares sold in order to establish The Magic Partnership and implement a new era of ownership at Magic. At this juncture we are only approximately one third of the way to that goal, and therefore cannot move forward with the plan at this time. As stated in prior correspondences, there are many people who have indicated a willingness to purchase a share or multiple shares who have not yet done so. The numbers thus far, although somewhat surprising, are not unexplainable considering the relative short time frame the shares have been for sale. In addition, many have cited challenging economic circumstances which currently prevent them from participating. Furthermore, the shares went on sale in the height of the summer when people’s minds are not necessarily focused on winter activities. Given these and other factors, the share sale effort will continue throughout the fall and winter, as I believe that the current level of support can and will be enhanced if given time to mature. The question which many of you have posed and with which I have struggled for the past several days is what is to become of Magic this season. After fastidiously crunching numbers and considering the negative effects of closure of the mountain, I have decided to open this season. However, I should quickly add that this decision is contingent upon financial support by way of early season pass sales, as that will be the primary source of revenue on which our ability to open will be based.

We are therefore commencing season pass sales immediately in an effort to raise the necessary revenue to open this season. We will be offering an early season rate through October 5, 2009 for the price of $379 and thereafter the price will increase to $429. Those who have purchased shares will be given the pass discounts advertised even though the Partnership has not officially commenced. We need a vast majority of the season passes to be purchased before October 5th in order to enable us to fund preparations for the upcoming season. If we are able to generate revenue early we will be far better off in terms of being able to open the mountain in a timely fashion. It is my intention to set aside monies for early season snowmaking in order to do our best to assure a Christmas week. Realistically we will not be able to make the amount of snow as planned under the Partnership Business Plan, but we will do our best and have learned over the past three years how to streamline operations and costs in order to leave as much money as possible for snowmaking. In another effort to control operational costs, we may be revising our operating schedule to Friday through Monday with the exception of holiday weeks and exceptions for great skiing days. We are still formulating the plan for the operating schedule, and more details will be available soon.

For those of you who have purchased shares thus far, I again extend my thanks. For those of you on the fence I would very much appreciate your participation over the next several months so that we can have a clear picture at the end of the season as to exactly where we stand and whether the Partnership plan can be a viable part of a new ownership structure. Again, based upon the response to the idea, I believe that it can. The money collected thus far and that which is collected for additional share sales throughout the next several months will remain in a separate account and not be used or commingled with the operating capital. If anyone who has participated thus far has any questions in that regard please do not hesitate to contact me.

In the end, despite some hurdles which lie ahead, I remain optimistic and committed to Magic’s future. I do not harbor unrealistic illusions, but I still believe that this mountain can become economically sustainable. As I have said many times, there is a spirit here which when combined with the remarkable natural facility makes Magic a unique and special place. Sustaining, improving, and perpetuating Magic is a goal which is embraced by all, and there exists the opportunity for everyone to contribute. Please join us by purchasing a share and/or a season pass and by spreading the word that the fight for this mountain continues. If you are not a season pass candidate, please patronize our mountain as frequently as possible and find out for yourself what makes Magic special.

In order to purchase a pass on-line please visit our web-site, www.magicmtn.com. Also to receive updates on the mountain as soon as they are produced, please sign up to receive Alpine Updates on the web-site. Thank you all for your ongoing support. Everyone’s efforts are important and appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jim Sullivan

President

looks like the 'Plattekill model'
I'll be there for sure!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
[/QUOTE]
I'm happy for Magic. I've never skied there, but wish them the best. I remember reading some awesome Magic TR's on here last season. I'd like to ski there once this season to give them some support.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I will personally be surprised if Magic survives more than another season with the current owners..they just don't seem very business minded and their balance sheet is a disaster..

I disagree. I think they are good people and have good business sense. If not, why would they cut back the operations to weekends only? They have some problems that they are trying to address. They have had a bad hand of cards dealt to them...on top of the huge needs of the resort, they have tried to move ahead at a time where there is little or no credit for ANY commercial real estate venture not to mention a terrible economy. They have been trying to get investors for quite some time.

Vortex

MT. Abram still does something like this, but has night turns and SR Overflow tends to go there and they get some folks on wind hold days. I would not be surpirsed by more mid week shutdowns and less lifts mid week at bigger places. The industry is feeling the economy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK folks, especially those who were posting in the other Magic thread so passionately, I want a roll call of those folks who put their money where their mouth is and buy a pass or better yet a share.

And to be clear, this is not a "call out," it is simply a friendly challenge to help the mountain. :D

Last edited:

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Wow, that was fast. I only posted that minutes ago.

The decision to cut back operating hours was a tough one, but we are hoping it can enable us to provide a better experience for our guests when we are open. The truth to the matter is that skier visits are dismally low on midweek days when there is no new snow. Under this schedule we will be able to focus on the days that matter and also significantly cut back costs across the board.

As for staffing most employees will still be able to work a 40 hour week (or close to it) and we are having good luck in finding the right people who are flexible enough to accommodate the powder days clause.

Overall, this measure is really a factor of us wanting to continue to keep the mountain open with an eye towards growing support for the new partnership venture. We truly believe that it can work and having the winter to sell it to the magic faithful face to face will be invaluable. As I have seen mentioned on alpinezone, closure of the mountain for a year can have a very negative impact on all aspects of the business from infrastructure to passholder loyalty, etc.

We hope we will see many alpinezoners this season!!

roark

Having had several midweek days where the mt was open for literally just my crew I'd say the reduced operating schedule makes sense. Selfishly, I would hope they're still able to open for midweek dumps (as is implied by the 'exceptions for great skiing days' in the letter).

Oh and TB: Can't afford a share but will definitely be buying a pass.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

The decision to cut back operating hours was a tough one, but we are hoping it can enable us to provide a better experience for our guests when we are open. The truth to the matter is that skier visits are dismally low on midweek days when there is no new snow. Under this schedule we will be able to focus on the days that matter and also significantly cut back costs across the board.

As for staffing most employees will still be able to work a 40 hour week (or close to it) and we are having good luck in finding the right people who are flexible enough to accommodate the powder days clause.

Overall, this measure is really a factor of us wanting to continue to keep the mountain open with an eye towards growing support for the new partnership venture. We truly believe that it can work and having the winter to sell it to the magic faithful face to face will be invaluable. As I have seen mentioned on alpinezone, closure of the mountain for a year can have a very negative impact on all aspects of the business from infrastructure to passholder loyalty, etc.

Best of luck! I'll definitely be stopping by a couple times this year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh and TB: Can't afford a share but will definitely be buying a pass.

I had no doubt about you roark. :wink: I think Jim Sullivan has thrown down the gauntlet here...I think there is a challenge here ala Burke in 2000. Set a goal as to how many passes need to be sold and I imagine that folks will rise to the challenge.

Here's my personal challenge to folks in here: I'd like to see at least one Magic TR for every SB TR I post this season. :wink:

Last edited:

Grassi21

Will Magic continue to be friendly to earning turns during the week? That could be a fun 2 day trip; one day hiking and one day riding the lift.