• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommendations for easy 50-miler

hammer

My son needs to do a 50-mile ride (in 8 hours) as a requirement for his Boy Scout Cycling merit badge, and I plan on joining him for the ride as well. He (and I) are not regular riders, we have basic mountain bikes and no plans on investing in road bikes. Therefore, we are looking at something easy to do.

He does have requirements to do a few 25-mile rides beforehand so he and I won't be totally out of shape. ;-)

The main thought that I had was an out and back on the Cape Cod rail trail with some additional off trail (but on road) loops to make up for any shortages in distance.

Any other suggestions? Thanks...

hammer

bvibert

Staff member
I don't have any experience with running those types of tires since I ride in the woods almost always, but if I were going to be spending that many miles on the road on my bike I'd definitely want tires like that to lower the rolling resistance.

Getting a second set of rims goes would depend on a few factors; What kind of brakes do you have on the bike? How comfortable are you with adjusting the brakes when you switch wheels? How often do you plan on switching them?

Personally I'd just deal with switching the tires on your existing rims when the need arises.

playoutside

Cape Cod Rail Trail is a great choice. A couple others to check are East Bay Bike Path in RI, or biking along the Charles River (start out by 128 and loop around at the Museum of Science) -- you'll need to be on roads for a bit at the beginning, but the river path is well developed from Waltham into Boston. You could also look at the Minutemen Trail, I find it too congested to really enjoy though.

I'd also recommend changing to smooth tires on your existing rims. I did this a couple years ago when I realized I mainly ride crummy city streets and bike paths. Definitely cuts the resistance and lets me cover more miles.

Charlie Schuessler

Changing tires is a good idea, however not really necessary for a one time event... whatever tires you ride on fill them to MAX, bring a patch kit and spare tubes as well as a pump, lots of water, energy snacks and money! 6-8 hours of riding without support will require store stopping a few times for things you will not want to carry (fluids and food).... set small goals, figure a 10-minute break every ten miles or so, spin the crank easily, try not to hammer, rotate leading positions regularly...

Go have fun with it!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Changing tires is a good idea, however not really necessary for a one time event... whatever tires you ride on fill them to MAX, bring a patch kit and spare tubes as well as a pump, lots of water, energy snacks and money! 6-8 hours of riding without support will require store stopping a few times for things you will not want to carry (fluids and food).... set small goals, figure a 10-minute break every ten miles or so, spin the crank easily, try not to hammer, rotate leading positions regularly...

Go have fun with it!

Good to see you Charlie! Long time no see! Hope life is good.

bvibert

Staff member
Changing tires is a good idea, however not really necessary for a one time event...

They're going to be doing a few 25 milers before hand too. I think the tires would be worth it even for the 25 milers, but that's just me. Good point on the tire pressure, definitely go as high as the tire allows.

mondeo

Any way you could rent/borrow road bikes? Sooooo much easier and more fun on pavement. I rode my dad's old MTB on the road while visiting, I hated every second on that infernal thing.