• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jefferson, Adams, Madison (9/19), Washington, Monroe 9/20)

dailey7779

Website
dailey7779.blogspot.com
Date(s) Hiked: Saturday 9/19/09 (8:45 AM - 5:30 PM) Jefferson, Adams, Madison
Sunday: 9/20/09 (8 AM- 4:15 PM) Washington, Monroe

Trails(s) Hiked: Saturday: The Link, Castle, Jefferson Loop, Gulfside Trail, Lowe's Path, Star Lake Trail, Osgood Trail, Howker Ridge Trail
Sunday: Tuckerman Ravine, Huntington Ravine, Nelson Crag, Crawford Path, Monroe Loop, Camel Trail, Davis Path, Boot Spur

Total Distance: Saturday (16.1) Sunday (12,2)

Difficulty: Difficult on Saturday because of the winter conditions (minus traction) Sunday was difficult through the rock scrambles on Huntington

Conditions: Bad (rime ice, high winds, freezing temps) but fun on Saturday. Sunday was the complete opposite perfect day all ice melted and all trails dry, could see forever!

Special Required Equipment: poles could have helped on Saturday, if they're your thing

Trip Report: Sorry I'm posting this a week afterwards, I'm just joined the site

Mount Jefferson, Adams, and Madison: On trail at 8:45, Weather started out at 45 degrees and fell to low/mid 30's (wind chill mid teens to low 20's). Consistent 40 plus mph wind above tree line with gust up to 70 mph. Higher elevations clouded in until early afternoon, lower elevations clear skies

Hiked link in tshirt with long sleeve shirt on and fall gloves on. Added fleece pullover at start of Castle Trail. Put on winter hat, gloves, neck warmer just before first castle. Put on winter wind and rain resistant jacket on at The Cornice Junction sign and kept it on until Howker Ridge Trail. Full winter conditions (minus traction)

Frost on trees above 3750 feet that would fall off fern branches and into the trail. Rime ice on all rocks and trail last mile on Castle trail to Jefferson summit. Rime ice a constant all around the trail but not on it the rest of the way until descending Mount Adams. Wind was out of the North/Northwest and would blow you around a few feet

Howker Ridge Tail is a poor man's version of the Garfield Ridge Trail, a few ups and downs, not anywhere close to as tough but at the end of a long hike a royal pain in the butt, better yet a royal pain in the knees. New hiking boots came in handy, beat the crap out of them!

Pics can be found here http://picasaweb.google.com/cdailey7779/MountJeffersonAdamsMadisonLoop#

Mount Washington and Monroe: On trail at 8am, finished at 4:15, temps below treeline and in the ravines mid 60's, temps above ravines high 40's to mid 50's, 30-45 mph wind. Not a cloud in the sky, visibility 125 miles plus.

Almost got lost in the fan (large boulder field) entering Huntington Ravine, lost the yellow blazes on the rocks for a minute or two! The first rock scramble up the steep and smooth slope of the main gully now has two routes. The original route is to follow the arrows, however about 2/3 the way up if conditions are dry and you trust your balance you can slowly walk across the exposed slopping ledge to the scrub on the other side and bypass the last steep section that goes up and to the right. However the bypass across the sloping ledge has no hand-holds so you can't crawl across making it pretty tough. Another scramble I thought had another way around so i took it, got 15 feet up the 20 foot scramble and was screwed, had to go back down by crawling, clawing, and cutting myself

When I was a teenager I had no issues on Huntington, took Teddy the dog up this trail about 3 times with my dad, now that all seems impossible. Hiking solo for me seems to make the tough parts more difficult, if I was with people I think it's be much easier for some odd reason

On the final scramble I caught up with a group of 3 people, two young guys in their 20's and an older man in his 50's, the older man was bleeding from his mouth and his face was cut up. He was in good spirits and was not hurting, just roughed up when his face didn't agree with an overhanging rock!

Hiked on tracks the last .2 miles to summit, arrived at 11:15, left at 12 when the cog arrived with annoying fat tourists!

Hike on Crawford Path to Lakes was great, could see every mountain in the Whites south of me

Hike down boot spur had some great views of Wildcat, Carter range, and a close up view into Tuckerman Ravine, I'd imagine with the nice weather there were hundreds of people all over Tuckerman Ravine.

Click here for pics http://picasaweb.google.com/cdailey7779/MountWashingtonMonroeHuntingtonRavineBootSpurTrails#