• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ALPINEZONE SUMMIT at SUGARLOAF: March 26-28, 2010

dropKickMurphy

Is there going to be a wet t-shirt contest by any chance?

That could really boost the number of interested members.

Heh heh... "members"

I believe the Carrabasset Inn has...ummm..Gentlemen's Entertainment" on Thursday and Friday nights. Stayed there recently on a Wednesday night prior to a backpacking trip, so we missed out on this. We were hanging with Jeff the owner in the pub on Wednesday night; he seemed like a very cool guy. He assured us that the performers were, in his words, "Vegas Quality".

Needless to say, that became our catch phrase of the backpacking trip. For example:

"Did you find the outhouse?"
"Yeah, right down that trail about 75 yards"
"How was it?"
"Vegas Quality"
"Sweet!!! Got any of that newspaper left?"

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Fixed for the truth.

In all seriousness, that's half of my logic for suggesting SB on Friday when Greg first released the details of the Summit.
I know that Sugarloaf is supposed to be something like 7.5 hours drive without stopping from where we are, so not having to drive quite as far on Thursday evening could definitely be a plus.

ETA: Sorry, my mistake. They're about the same drive.... oh well.

I believe the Carrabasset Inn has...ummm..Gentlemen's Entertainment" on Thursday and Friday nights. Stayed there recently on a Wednesday night prior to a backpacking trip, so we missed out on this. We were hanging with Jeff the owner in the pub on Wednesday night; he seemed like a very cool guy. He assured us that the performers were, in his words, "Vegas Quality".

Needless to say, that became our catch phrase of the backpacking trip. For example:

"Did you find the outhouse?"
"Yeah, right down that trail about 75 yards"
"How was it?"
"Vegas Quality"
"Sweet!!! Got any of that newspaper left?"
:lol:

Last edited:

wa-loaf

Saddleback's an hour closer for us CTers... might be worth staying in that area (or on the way) for Thursday night...

Compared to the Loaf? You are talking maybe 15 mins difference once you get to Farmington. You might have it mixed up with Sunday River.

wa-loaf

According to google maps, 7.5 hours to Loaf, 6.5 hours to Saddleback. We're coming from NW corner of CT.

Google is wrong unless it is routing you very differently for the two. Trip should be about the same for both from where you're coming from.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You're right. I swear when I checked for the Loaf a few weeks ago, it said 7.5 hours. :confused:

Saddleback: 6:37
Sugarloaf: 6:33

Woohoo! One less hour of travel than I thought! :lol:

wa-loaf

I just did it for New Hartford since that's Sundown and you guys are close. 6 hrs 14 mins to the Loaf according to Google. 6 Hrs 15 to Saddleback.

wa-loaf

You're right. I swear when I checked for the Loaf a few weeks ago, it said 7.5 hours. :confused:

Saddleback: 6:37
Sugarloaf: 6:33

Woohoo! One less hour of travel than I thought! :lol:

I just did it for New Hartford since that's Sundown and you guys are close. 6 hrs 14 mins to the Loaf according to Google. 6 Hrs 15 to Saddleback.

Doh! :D

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
What sucks is that I will actually be in West Hartford earlier in the day (and about 45 min closer) but will have to travel back to our town, get Brian and his car, and then head out. Oh well... c'est la vie.

kcyanks1

I don't pay enough attention to the Trips & Events Forum, at least this time of year. Just tried to click the link on the first post for details, and it seems that the page is down. I definitely hope to go to this, but end of March is so far away. I'm still thinking about planning a ski trip for end of December, forget about fixed plans for end of March! More relevant, though, I'm also thinking of planning a week vacation out west in March and it was possibly going to be the week leading up to that weekend. Basically, I'm going to be swamped at work for January and February and am afraid I won't get to ski much, so I'm trying to schedule week-long trips on either side of that time. So I'll probably have to put any commitments on hold for this even, but if I don't go away, I'll do my best to come. Will it be too late to make a decision in late February? I might not even have my other plans set till then. January-Feburary is going to be completely crazy at work

I'm probably totally out. I hadn't checked the date aside from my other possible trip, and now I realized that Friday night is a big annual work-related event that I really shouldn't miss. Makes it more difficult for my other possible plans as well, as having to return for a Friday messes things up since it kills the connection with the weekend. :-(

Hopefully I'll meet up with some AZ people some other time this season. That day at Sugarbush last April was lots of fun.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm probably totally out. I hadn't checked the date aside from my other possible trip, and now I realized that Friday night is a big annual work-related event that I really shouldn't miss. Makes it more difficult for my other possible plans as well, as having to return for a Friday messes things up since it kills the connection with the weekend. :-(

Hopefully I'll meet up with some AZ people some other time this season. That day at Sugarbush last April was lots of fun.

Bummer!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Figures, one of my favorite bands, moe., just announced that they are throwing a festival in Killington/Rutland the same weekend as the AZ outing. There probably will be at least a dozen more bands playing around Kton that weekend that I really love. So, as one might imagine, with the name deadheadskier, that is pretty much the most perfect weekend I could ever hope for. moe. hasn't done this since they got kicked out of Lake Placid and told to never come back a few years ago. :lol:

Still will be at Sugarloaf with the AZ crew and have a blast.

wa-loaf

Figures, one of my favorite bands, moe., just announced that they are throwing a festival in Killington/Rutland the same weekend as the AZ outing. There probably will be at least a dozen more bands playing around Kton that weekend that I really love. So, as one might imagine, with the name deadheadskier, that is pretty much the most perfect weekend I could ever hope for. moe. hasn't done this since they got kicked out of Lake Placid and told to never come back a few years ago. :lol:

Still will be at Sugarloaf with the AZ crew and have a blast.

I'm sure you'll be able to watch the whole thing on Youtube when you get back! :p

reefer

Booked!

All set for the weekend. Shout out to Cindy for helping me out. Four of us upgraded to a two-bedroom in the Sugartree II. Seems like a real nice spot. We all agreed that comfort comes first. We'll put a few extra shekels away to make up the difference.
Still got a real good deal off the normal rate. AlpineZone definitely showed some pull here. Thanks Sugarloaf! Thanks Greg!
Bad news is I will not make Saddleback Friday. Two buds couldn't make the Thursday night commitment. Kind of bumming with that crew that was forming. That doesn't mean if it dumps, me and "double eject" wouldn't use the no-friends-on-a powder day line, and just take off. They would understand.........really.
Otherwise we decided we'll definitely hit it when it is the "sweet spot" in a storm this year, like this past weekend only with lifts turning and some base. So maybe I'll even ski it before you guys!
We'll see you all Friday night 3/26, if not before, it's on...............think snow!

WJenness

All set for the weekend. Shout out to Cindy for helping me out. Four of us upgraded to a two-bedroom in the Sugartree II. Seems like a real nice spot. We all agreed that comfort comes first. We'll put a few extra shekels away to make up the difference.
Still got a real good deal off the normal rate. AlpineZone definitely showed some pull here. Thanks Sugarloaf! Thanks Greg!
Bad news is I will not make Saddleback Friday. Two buds couldn't make the Thursday night commitment. Kind of bumming with that crew that was forming. That doesn't mean if it dumps, me and "double eject" wouldn't use the no-friends-on-a powder day line, and just take off. They would understand.........really.
Otherwise we decided we'll definitely hit it when it is the "sweet spot" in a storm this year, like this past weekend only with lifts turning and some base. So maybe I'll even ski it before you guys!
We'll see you all Friday night 3/26, if not before, it's on...............think snow!

Can you share what the deal was with us? Just so we know what we're looking at?

thanks,

-w

reefer

Can you share what the deal was with us? Just so we know what we're looking at?

thanks,

-w

Didn't really want to get into this but it comes out to about $50.00 more. So $205.00 each (including taxes and fees) for two nights and tickets for both days. The $136.00 is before taxes and fees. It is actually $156.50 a person for the one-bedroom. You can't believe with they normally get......................
Plus when they said they had a unit left in the Sugartree, it became a no-brainer. Ski in-ski out.........we even have a fireplace, and the pool and hot-tubs are in that building. Definitely worth the upgrade to me.
We don't live this way very often so this is like a pretty reasonable splurge, and I get to hang out with good people..... and the parties.......and I'm bringing my dancing shoes....................
I think this was the last room available in the Sugartree. They had others that weren't ski out, but maybe a closer walk to the main lifts. I know it's tough to make a commitment this early, and they want a 50% deposit, but you probably have a lot more choices the sooner you do it.

Greg

Staff member
Been so crazy busy lately I haven't had much time to really think about this. It's only now starting to sink in that I'll be finally revisiting the Loaf this year. Gonna be an epic weekend. I hope northern Maine gets bombed with a blizzard starting Friday.

WJenness

I'm planning on getting this locked down soon, but some other things have popped up (mainly, I need to find a new place to live by the end of the month as the gf and I decided it was time to shed the roommates) that I have to take care of before I commit to this... That, and I don't know where the best places to stay at SL are, so I need to get that figured out.

-w

4aprice

Wish I could go cause it sounds like a blast and would be fun to put faces with the names and because I have yet to get to the Loaf and it looks awesome. However I will be in Utah at that time. Will look to get a small trip to Sundown to meet at least a few of you.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ