• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ALPINEZONE SUMMIT at SUGARLOAF: March 26-28, 2010

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sick! No injuries this season. I'd like to get more than two dozen turns in with you....
Interestingly enough, my right hand is back in a splint as of this evening. Damn dog plays too rough...

Still need to go back to the ortho to get a custom thingy made for occasions in which my thumb may be impacted. I may have to deal with this off and on for a long time. I figured it would have been healed up by now.

Sky

Interestingly enough, my right hand is back in a splint as of this evening. Damn dog plays too rough...

Still need to go back to the ortho to get a custom thingy made for occasions in which my thumb may be impacted. I may have to deal with this off and on for a long time. I figured it would have been healed up by now.

I broke a bone and tore the ligament via skiers thumb injury last Feb. Had the surgery in April. Took a few months to feel like normal. Still takes effort (not much) to touch my thumb to base of my pinky finger....that was the only "PT" the Doc wanted me to do.

Good luck!

Also, thanks for putting this together Greg. Not sure I can escape for the weekend...but I'm more likely to get away for a weekend in the East than out west....so I'll mark the calendar and make sure WaLoaf keeps pestering me.

salsgang

For all of you "from away" waffling on the drive, you gotta do it. Sugarloaf is what Maine skiing is all about. Sugarloaf in March can be EPIC. Thanks for getting this together Greg.

sounds like a cool event...good job Greg. I'll try to make it up for a day if I'm around. Gonna be tough to get seeded bumps on Misery Whip though...
Maybe team Newmarket NH can carpool...Edd, DHS and myself.

tjf67

Sugarloaf's marketing team is A number one. What a great opportunity for both Sally and the Loaf.
NICE JOB!!

tjf67

Curious why misery whip for a bump comp? It's a cool trail, but there are other trails I'd pick for a comp.

It is steep and on the side of the hill that softens up first. You low angle bumpers better get ready.

bigbog

Great job Greg. The snow should be just great....kudos to you getting the mob up here away from the crowds. ...And there's always Saddleback as well.

Beetlenut: fwiw, once above Portland...traffic disintegrates...

Steve: Take care of the thumb....man I broke a small bone at my right thumb's base three years ago.....getting stronger, but not being over muscular in wrists...takes a long time, but am still in advanced rehab-mode.....

$.01,
steved

MrMagic

this trip might cut into prime sundown bumps on gunny

loafasaur

The piks you have upthread of The Whip are right after a grooming. Boyne groomed it more frequently than in the past last season, especially late, I think to keep from getting bare spots in the hollows between the bumps. I gotta hunch they'll let it get nice and bumped up for your event.

Late March and April are the best of times at the Loaf. The sun's high. It's (usually) warmer. The nights are cold enough to set things up nicely overnight. But by mid-morning the bumps soften up and sprout all over the mountain. Hero snow. Snow's deep in the woods. You can spend all day on the upper lifts and avoid the mashed potatoes at the bottom. The Backside softens up early because its east exposure gets first rays. I like to pound myself silly and wind down with a few lazy cruisers on Timberline (the summit lift) at the end of the day. Take in the Washington to Katahdin view.

No I'm not an employee, just another Mainiac/Loafer. We're proud of our hill. Make the trip--the only regret you'll have is not doing it years ago.

dropKickMurphy

Great job Greg. The snow should be just great....kudos to you getting the mob up here away from the crowds. ...And there's always Saddleback as well.

Now you're talking! Hit Saddleback on Friday, pre-party at the Swig N' Smelt, then make the short drive up to the Loaf for the Friday night party.

Funny thing is, we're doing a backpacking trip next week from Saddleback to Sugarloaf. The plan is to ascend Saddleback on Thursday via the ski trails, and pick up the AT. On Sunday, we'll hit the summit of Sugarloaf, and descend via the ski trails. We picked this itinerary specifically to build stoke for the ski season.

Three days of skiing Saddleback and Sugarloaf would be a perfect way to close out the season.

madskier6

This looks great. I'll be there. Just not sure if I can make it up by Friday night. Great job, Greg & Sugarloaf!!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Now you're talking! Hit Saddleback on Friday, pre-party at the Swig N' Smelt, then make the short drive up to the Loaf for the Friday night party.

Three days of skiing Saddleback and Sugarloaf would be a perfect way to close out the season.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If I'm going to drive up there, it only makes sense to hit both areas, because I probably won't be back for a while. Hopefully I can make it happen.