• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Santa Conspiracy

NHpowderhound

I have an 8y/o son who I think is only humoring me that he still belives in Santa. He's pretty sure that Santa isn't real but hasn't given up hope in case it means more presents.
When is it appropriate to flat out tell your child that you, all your family, friends and the media have been lying to them and tricking them into being good all year long,with the consequense of nothing but coal in your stocking at Christmas, since they were born?
Santa has been an 8 year practical joke on my kid. :lol:
((*
*))NHPH

BeanoNYC

NHpowderhound said:
I have an 8y/o son who I think is only humoring me that he still belives in Santa. He's pretty sure that Santa isn't real but hasn't given up hope in case it means more presents.
When is it appropriate to flat out tell your child that you, all your family, friends and the media have been lying to them and tricking them into being good all year long,with the consequense of nothing but coal in your stocking at Christmas, since they were born?
((*
*))NHPH

TODAY! ... enough said.

Greg

Staff member
I've got Santa on speed dial in my house. If my almost 3 year old daughter acts up, he gets a call... :lol: Works great. Of course I also call him if she does something good. She's really excited about Christmas this year. Millions of kids have been getting duped for generations. I don't think it causes any harm.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
NHpowderhound said:
((*
*))NHPH

What do you mean lying?!!

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
There is a Santa Claus and also a Mrs Claus. I can't believe in this modern age of instant communication everyone doesn't know that. Heck, look at all the movies/songs they have made about him. Yes, all proof shows there REALLY is a Santa Claus!

That's my story and I'm stickn to it! :lol:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
So what are you guys trying to say?

That there's no Santa? What the hell's the matter with you people? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Buncha crazies.

LVNLARG

andyzee said:
NHpowderhound said:
((*
*))NHPH

What do you mean lying?!!

Yes ! What do you mean? :eek:

ctenidae

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALLALALALALLAL I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

I will NOT have my worldview challenged by you naysayers. Next thing you know, you'll be disparaging the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and leprechauns.

Mike P.

Only child, any nephews or nieces?

When they are old enough not to spoil it for younger family members. We have a five & almost three year old. No mention yet on the school bus so nobody yet has spoiled it.

When their old enough but then they will stop leaving cookies for Santa if they don't believe :eek:

My daughter drew a nice picture for Santa & asked Santa to take it with him. I think Santa will return it when she has her own child before they can draw their own picture.

If Santa would deliver oil instead of coal, I'd be bad 24 X 7! Well, okay I've been doing that already for years!

pedxing

I didn't tell my kids. I let them figure it out themselves. Once they had real doubts, I didn't try to sell them on Santa. I think they figured that Santa was a fun make believe thing long before they honestly expressed doubts. It took a while before they were ready to spoil the make believe by saying the truth out loud.

My best advice would be to do the same. You'll know when they're ready to end the Santa game.

ctenidae

Beware, though- kids are smart, adn will likely milk the Santa thing for at least two years after they figure it out. Especially if they can guilt a couple extra presents out of "Santa" by threatening not to believe in him anymore.

atomic68

I say you dont tell them, let them convice you they know and then maybe admit it.... this is a second grader your talking about ....my first grader still believes :D

TramperKen

After (wife) having three kids, trust me, they'll have it figured out long before you'll know. In the long history of human beliefs in the Claus our civilization hasn't ended yet because our kids figure it out. So enjoy your kids and remember, some of us on this BBS still do believe in the man. After all, where did my new flat panel monitor come from? :spin:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
TramperKen said:
So enjoy your kids and remember, some of us on this BBS still do believe in the man. After all, where did my new flat panel monitor come from? :spin:

Fell off the back of a delivery truck?

NHpowderhound

Well my son has finally figured it out. In fact last week he went to school and told all the youngest kids in school that there was no Santa and your parents are lying to you! When the teachers pulled him aside and told him "its the SPIRT of Santa" he replied "Spirits are like ghosts and there are no such things as ghosts!"

When he came home that night I came clean with him told him there was no Santa, its just your family buying your presents. He jumped up puming his fist exclaiming "I knew it!" I explained to him to let the little ones enjoy the story of Santa and not to blow it for the rest of the kids.

But now instead of the threat of Santa not bringing gifts he knows that I hold the power of the presents :wink: :grin: . It's still good leverage.

((*
*))NHPH