• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Web Site still in Summer!

Reckless

If you go to www.killington.com today, October 7, you get the Summer page as the default! I'm showing my age, but remember the good old days, when Killington celebrated Winter and Snow? Remember they started blowing Snow in September and opened the upper Mountain area, until in melted. Then they would open up for the season as early as possible, perhaps by mid October? Even if there was a little mud on the trails, the die hards were there. Remember they would stay open as long as possible, some years as late as mid June? Remember people could say they skiied Killington 10 months out of the year? Ah, the good old days. It's still a great resort, but the mystique is gone.

drjeff

If you go to www.killington.com today, October 7, you get the Summer page as the default! I'm showing my age, but remember the good old days, when Killington celebrated Winter and Snow? Remember they started blowing Snow in September and opened the upper Mountain area, until in melted. Then they would open up for the season as early as possible, perhaps by mid October? Even if there was a little mud on the trails, the die hards were there. Remember they would stay open as long as possible, some years as late as mid June? Remember people could say they skiied Killington 10 months out of the year? Ah, the good old days. It's still a great resort, but the mystique is gone.

Probably will go winter early next week. With this weekend coming up being Columbus Day, K (as well as most ski resorts in the Northeast) are still in their "summer operations" mode with mountain biking/scenic lift rides/golf/etc. After the masses from the cities that will undoubtedly head to the mountains this weekend to look at the leaves head home, then from a marketing standpoint, it will be full on winter mode for most of them. Can't blame K (or other resorts for that matter) for still advertising summer events to make a few more $$ from non-snow revenue through this weekend.

SpinmasterK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.killington.com
Probably will go winter early next week. With this weekend coming up being Columbus Day, K (as well as most ski resorts in the Northeast) are still in their "summer operations" mode with mountain biking/scenic lift rides/golf/etc. After the masses from the cities that will undoubtedly head to the mountains this weekend to look at the leaves head home, then from a marketing standpoint, it will be full on winter mode for most of them. Can't blame K (or other resorts for that matter) for still advertising summer events to make a few more $$ from non-snow revenue through this weekend.

Summer operations continue through Monday with the K-1 Gondola running from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for foliage viewing.
We'll flip the website next week, so look for some cool new features.

Highway Star

What? I've totally forgotten.

No, just kidding. Seemingly, they only ones who forgot is Killington itself.

drjeff

Summer operations continue through Monday with the K-1 Gondola running from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for foliage viewing.
We'll flip the website next week, so look for some cool new features.

Oooh! could I suggest a groomer simulator game! That would be cool, especially if you could simulate riding a winchcat down OL! :) :rolleyes: :)

Reckless

I don't know Killington's financial statements are now versus, say 1990, but I would venture to say they made more money back then when they had the old K culture. A couple of years ago I went to K on a weekday, and it was empty. I could count on one hand how many people were at happy hour at the Wobbly Barn. In the early 90's it would have been packed on a weekday.

drjeff

I don't know Killington's financial statements are now versus, say 1990, but I would venture to say they made more money back then when they had the old K culture. A couple of years ago I went to K on a weekday, and it was empty. I could count on one hand how many people were at happy hour at the Wobbly Barn. In the early 90's it would have been packed on a weekday.

Trying to compare the business state of K now verses back in 1990 has become an apples and oranges thing. Back in 1990, K was a ski resort with some real estate attached to it and was run that way. Nowadays the philosphy of the owners(S&P) seems to be that K is a real estate development with a ski area attached to it, and as such there is a significant increase in the emphasis to market K as a true 4 season resort.

Reckless

Trying to compare the business state of K now verses back in 1990 has become an apples and oranges thing. Back in 1990, K was a ski resort with some real estate attached to it and was run that way. Nowadays the philosphy of the owners(S&P) seems to be that K is a real estate development with a ski area attached to it, and as such there is a significant increase in the emphasis to market K as a true 4 season resort.

Interesting. I really wonder how that's working out for them. I still think the default home page could be a split screen between the fall foliage and the upcoming ski season on October 7th. I guess I'll have to go to Sugarbush's home page.