• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GPS for your cellphone? vs. stand-alone?

ComeBackMudPuddles

i've always wanted GPS for my car, but have managed to convince myself not to spend the cash since i'd only need it on an occassional basis.

now you can get special "navigator" cellphones and even apps for iphones and other smartphones. i like the idea combining the two, so that i wouldn't feel like the stand-alone unit would be sitting at home collecting dust.

anyone have experience with using "navigator" phones or smartphone apps (e.g., tomtom for iphone)?

thanks....

Greg

Staff member
I use Google Maps on my phone sometimes. It's useful if that's all I have and the mapping is very accurate, but we have a Garmin Nuvi as well and since you can mount it on the window, it's a little more convenient than holding your phone towards the window to maintain satellite reception.

ComeBackMudPuddles

it's a little more convenient than holding your phone towards the window to maintain satellite reception.

yeah, i hear that.

but, that's the thing with the new phones. the garmin nuvifone G60 comes packaged with a car kit (mount, charger), and tomtom sells a car kit that includes a more powerful GPS chip and functionality (effectively transforming the iphone into a tomtom device....though i haven't seen many reviews for it yet).

but, there are a host of other third-party apps for phones available, and i assume there probably are car mounts for cellphones, too.

Greg

Staff member
yeah, i hear that.

but, that's the thing with the new phones. the garmin nuvifone G60 comes packaged with a car kit (mount, charger), and tomtom sells a car kit that includes a more powerful GPS chip and functionality (effectively transforming the iphone into a tomtom device....though i haven't seen many reviews for it yet).

but, there are a host of other third-party apps for phones available, and i assume there probably are car mounts for cellphones, too.

Cool. The screen on my Samsung is pretty small though and not exactly bright so consider that when selecting the unit. Also, if you want to use Google Maps you will obviously need a data plan and have reception to download the maps real time. I imagine the Garmin products have map data built in.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Cool. The screen on my Samsung is pretty small though and not exactly bright so consider that when selecting the unit.

garmin_nuvifoneg60_450.jpg

garmin_nuvifoneg60_450_2.jpg

Also, if you want to use Google Maps you will obviously need a data plan and have reception to download the maps real time. I imagine the Garmin products have map data built in.

i think for the "navigator" phones and apps like tomtom for iphone, the point is that the maps are on your phone (like on the stand-alone). frow what i can tell, most providers charge you for live traffic info, but that's the same for stand-alone units, too.

drjeff

My wife has the Nuvi in her car, and loves it (and uses/NEEDS it A LOT!! - sometimes I think she could get lost backing out of the garage :rolleyes:). The display is very easy to see and the updates we've found to be very timely (even when driving through many areas of newly set up road construction detours)

I was going to get one for my car last winter, but then I bought my new car this past spring which has the ONSTAR service, it came with a free trial period of ONSTAR turn by turn audio directions which I used a few times and liked, so I picked up that extra feature for my ONSTAR

Sky

I was travelling in PA a year ago and my partner had the Verizon Wireless navigator option. Even if the veiwing screen is small...you put the phone into speaker mode and you get all the prompts...."Take exit in one mile"..."approaching exit for Rt 77South on the right in 1/4 mile." etc

You can use for a few days and shut it off...like a fee for service thing. It wasn't expensive....but it wasn't all that cheap either. The up side would be...you'd only use it when you needed it (close to destination, or when you are heading to wherever for the first time).

my %0.02 *I should add this to the "what I'm tired of seeing in threads" thread*

wa-loaf

Cool. The screen on my Samsung is pretty small though and not exactly bright so consider that when selecting the unit. Also, if you want to use Google Maps you will obviously need a data plan and have reception to download the maps real time. I imagine the Garmin products have map data built in.

If you are relying on google maps you are SOL if you are out of cell (data) reception. There are gps apps (tom tom and nuvi) you can download for the iphone that have preinstalled maps. These will work as long as you can get a gps signal.

ComeBackMudPuddles

If you are relying on google maps you are SOL if you are out of cell (data) reception. There are gps apps (tom tom and nuvi) you can download for the iphone that have preinstalled maps. These will work as long as you can get a gps signal.

thanks. any first-hand or second-hand knowledge about how well they work?

tjf67

i've always wanted GPS for my car, but have managed to convince myself not to spend the cash since i'd only need it on an occassional basis.

now you can get special "navigator" cellphones and even apps for iphones and other smartphones. i like the idea combining the two, so that i wouldn't feel like the stand-alone unit would be sitting at home collecting dust.

anyone have experience with using "navigator" phones or smartphone apps (e.g., tomtom for iphone)?

thanks....

You can pick the stand alone ones up for like 100 bucks now. Was always in the same boat and my Jimapco always did the trick. they are nice though for the twice a year you might use it. I have not purchased one yet but have been looking. If you find a good cheapy let me know

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I was travelling in PA a year ago and my partner had the Verizon Wireless navigator option. Even if the veiwing screen is small...you put the phone into speaker mode and you get all the prompts...."Take exit in one mile"..."approaching exit for Rt 77South on the right in 1/4 mile." etc

You can use for a few days and shut it off...like a fee for service thing. It wasn't expensive....but it wasn't all that cheap either. The up side would be...you'd only use it when you needed it (close to destination, or when you are heading to wherever for the first time).

my %0.02 *I should add this to the "what I'm tired of seeing in threads" thread*

Well Sky, if you have 99.98% more to add, then you must be a freakin savant with navigation units :)

bvibert

Staff member

We have verizon. I've never used the navigator, but I played with on the demo phones in the store, it seemed pretty cool. You can either add on the package where you get unlimited usage of the navigator for a monthly fee, or use it when you need it and pay a smaller fee per day.

Geoff

Work gave me a Sprint Blackberry Tour. The native Blackberry map program knows how to talk to the GPS and gives precise location. The Google Maps application only knows how to use cell tower triangulation. I flip between the two because Google Maps gives me very useful information like traffic and has a better map database.

Example: Yesterday, I drove from my office to the Denver REI to buy my Colorado Pass (which I couldn't do because I neglected to read the fine print that I could only do it Fri/Sat/Sun). I then drove up to Evergreen to have dinner with friends on some pretty obscure roads. I used Google Maps to avoid traffic jams and Blackberry Maps to avoid getting lost along the way.

Glenn

I use google maps on my BB Curve. It uses the GPS, so that's pretty slick. It's kinda like maps on the computer, but you're a blue dot on the purple line. I don't like how the maps are stationary; it can get confusing if you're not heading straight. But for a free ap, no complains.

AmazeGPS is a free ap you can get. It has turn by turn directions. It's pretty slick. But it does flake out every now and again. We used it last Thanksgiving and it just stopped talking to me when we crossed the Mass boarder. I didn' t take it personally. But I did need an extra few beers when we finally got to our destination.

deadheadskier

Staff member
have a blackberry curve, the gps on it SUCKS in Boston with the verizon network. 50% of the time I'm through the intersection before it instructs me to turn.