• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A warm welcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidmarks

I joined your forum today and wanted to make some posts. One for a local SkiClub's learn to telemark clinic and another for a bus trip. They were both pulled and I was told to "read the rules" and no hint about the problem. What gives?
I'm not real happy.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
skidmarks said:
I joined your forum today and wanted to make some posts. One for a local SkiClub's learn to telemark clinic and another for a bus trip. They were both pulled and I was told to "read the rules" and no hint about the problem. What gives?
I'm not real happy.
Clearly you did not read the rules as your only two posts were promotions. Thats why your posts were deleted. The best approach is becoming a contributing member to build some credibility before promoting anything.

skidmarks

Dave your rules state:

Advertisements/Promotions: Historically, messages containing links to products or relevant Websites have been allowed. Provided the link is in direct response to a message requesting such information, or is on topic and considered valuable enough that it warrants its own thread, these types of links will continue to be allowed. However, links posted by a non-contributing member (e.g. a member posting a product link as their first and only post) may be deleted. The administrator and moderators reserve the right to edit or delete any topic containing an advertisement/promotion at any time. The best approach is to become a contributing member to build some credibility before promoting anything.

So under your Trips and events forum I listed a Bus Trip to Stratton, (Everyone want's a way to ski and ride cheap) and I want to make sure the Bus is near full so that we can do it again plus you can meet some cool people. If we get 45 people we may just break even. Clearly we are going out of our way to put on this trip.

The other event was a learn to Tele event at the Springfield Ski Club where Rossignol and Crispi are demoing the equipment free of charge and a $25 Donation goes to the Ski School. I've donated my time as well as others to promote only the sport of Telemark.

If your rules were clear I would not have may the mistake of Posting both a trip and event under your "Trips and Events" Forum

Your reply emails were very helpful. First "read the rules" then a Copy of the rules when I requested clarification. I think I understand now. Because I'm new to the forum I can't post events and trips that are useful to your membership. I didn't post a product link as my first post as your rules forbid.

I would realy like to post my Bus Trip and learn to Tele event.

Thanks

Peter

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Skidmarks,
The problem, as I see it, a non-administrative member, is that many people come and "SPAM" the site with ads for various things...some related...and then never again participate in the forums. There are people here that are good contributing members that ocassionally drop a line about special events and deals, but that is not their only purpose here. It becomes a little suspicious when a new member's first (and second) post are promotional. Some people who have wanted to post promotional stuff have run it past the Administrator first then posted stating they had his permission to post...maybe that would have been a good option.

I have a website that I ocassionally promote here, but I do so on a limited basis. There are others her that have websites, etc. that they also promote, but again, it's on a limited basis.

Stick around, get to know people, talk about tele, I'm sure there will be people interested in what you have to say. It's not that we do not want new members, we do. We want people who participate in the forum and welcome them openly. The problem begins when new people sign in and their only posts are promotional (products or other websites).

Welcome to the board, hope to see more posts by you!

Laurie

Greg

Staff member
teachski said it very well. Don't be so offended by Dave's response, Peter. We got a lot of "drive-by spammers" so when a poster's first posts are "ads", we get a bit leary. A question for you though - do you in any way profit from the events you're strying to shill here (please note, I didn't see your initial posts)? If not, go ahead and post them, and as teach says, hope to see you contribute more than just promotional posts in the future. Welcome.

skidmarks

Sure I profit from them, I love to see people enjoy the sports I love. This is how I've made a living for my entire adult life. I posted a bus trip to Stratton for $60.00 (bus and lift ticket with some comp beer to boot) Why do we do it? We/I want the sport to grow beyound the "rich person condo owner" sport skiing has become. Again if we get 35-40 people we'll break even and consider doing another trip.

My other post was a Learn to Tele event with free use of equipment and the procedes going to one of the countries oldest ski clubs. Lot's of history here. How can one learn to tele without emptying ones wallet? Check out this clinic.

In answer to Lauri the forum did not ask me to bounce anything off the Admin. I read the rules. If asked for permisson, I would have done so first.

The deal is it's was like the Wizzard of Oz when the hidden man behind the curtain starts to berate you and you don't know why.

Before I go to far and bring the Nazi's in I'll sign off.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
interesting that you look for a warm welcome when you are being beligerent about a communities' rules. everyone here highly respects the mods and admin and most if not all fully agree with the rules. what really makes me scratch my head is that you quoted a section of the forum's rules above but didn't seem to comprehend their meaning, such as:

However, links posted by a non-contributing member (e.g. a member posting a product link as their first and only post) may be deleted. The administrator and moderators reserve the right to edit or delete any topic containing an advertisement/promotion at any time. The best approach is to become a contributing member to build some credibility before promoting anything.
your first two posts were promotions/advertisements, so i hope you can see how that does not look like you are a contributing member yet. if you frequent other forums, you will notice similar policies meant to keep the forums free of SPAMers and one post advertisers. no one is crapping on your noble efforts to promote cheap skiing and tele, a lot of folks on this forum promote such events and we even have an entire thread devoted to sliding on the cheap. but if you want a warmer welcome, you should try not to be so beligerent after breaking the forums rules and make a few posts instead. alpine zone is amongst THE most welcoming communities around.

hope this doesn't sound like a harsh reply and i don't want to speak for the mods or admin on this one, but i don't understand your posturing in this thread. especially when this should have been dealt by PM. looking forward to your posts and welcome to alpine zone.

skidmarks

Okay the dead horse has been beaten. Let's talk about something worthwhile like cheap bus trips and tele events

Status
Not open for further replies.