• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I'm skiing Sunday River next year. Killington = Fail.

jerryg

People who spend their time trashing other mountains instead of just getting out and having a blast on the snow, tend to be the biggest gapers of all... :roll:

If Sunday River received another 100" of natural snow, I would have changed mountains years ago. I prefer trees and ungroomed natural snow trails. When they're open, the trees at Sunday River are great fun but you end up spending far too much time on a manmade surface. .
Yeah, not the greatest avg snowfall around but 5 of the last 7 years have been really good...i've spent a good number of days on 90mm+ skis. Some good natural terrain in Oz...plenty of other places around are left ungroomed the majority of the time...I think it has more variety than it gets credit for... There are better trees off the map...and while there's typically more manmade than natural, the snowmakers at the river make some very nice snow on a regular basis.

I probably should have bailed out of Killington years ago to somewhere farther north in Vermont that better aligns with my preferences but I have all the inertia of my social circle at Killington that makes it tough to leave. It's been my winter home for almost 30 years.
yeah, the social circle at the river is a big draw for me...can show up alone and end up with a dozen friends throughout the day without making a phone call. Plus you know it well...know how to find what you want and avoid what you don't.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Nazi Nazi just stepped in to remind everyone that the Nazis were really evil people, and using terms like "Spelling Nazi" or "Soup Nazi" makes light of the Nazis and diminishes the suffering of those they harmed, tortured and killed.

Major super duper pet peeve of mine!!

That is all.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Nazi Nazi just stepped in to remind everyone that the Nazis were really evil people, and using terms like "Spelling Nazi" or "Soup Nazi" makes light of the Nazis and diminishes the suffering of those they harmed, tortured and killed.

Major super duper pet peeve of mine!!

That is all.

I suspect yours is going to be an even tougher sell than mine. Particularly since it was a bunch of Jewish comedians that came up with the Soup Nazi.

skibumME2009

Website
apres4eva.ning.com
But what if the top ten skiers at SR won't ski with you? Or, what if they are better than the top ten skiers at K and you can't keep up (as would be the case at Sundown 8)?

you can count on that, the Loaf" has a breed of its own, we play REAL hard up there

try to keep up and dont get lost in my powder trail!

powbmps

yeah, the social circle at the river is a big draw for me...can show up alone and end up with a dozen friends throughout the day without making a phone call. Plus you know it well...know how to find what you want and avoid what you don't.

I must be a real loser. I always found myself skiing alone at SR. Ended up following kids around looking for someone to hang with. They probably thought I was some kind of pedo :p.

skibumME2009

Website
apres4eva.ning.com
I must be a real loser. I always found myself skiing alone at SR. Ended up following kids around looking for someone to hang with. They probably thought I was some kind of pedo :p.

Powbmps i KNOW exactly how you feel, i found the same feeling at saddleback, just start talking with someone and before you know it your hanging with them for the day, i used to hate skiing alone, but i have found when your "single" on the lifts, it only takes a 6 minute ride in a quad to have pals for the day

Now when Apres4eva gets going again (the social side of it, not the media team side) we hope people will use that to network for ski trips, i know there are already 10 planned, but change is tough, and never easy,

I saw a "skiing singles" site last year, but it turned out to be some startup site that only had 10 members and "no matches" in my area, i found a gurl taught her to ski and now we are going out been that way since the first day i taught her to ski at the loaf"

jerryg

Just head over to the Sunday River board and introduce yourself. You would be amazed at the warm reception you will get and you'll find more than enough people to ski or ride with.

I worked at a shop there from 92-96 then again in 2000-2002 and worked in Bethel full time from 02-07...daughter went to SR daycare, wife worked at the mountain for a winter...so the social circle has been developed over nearly two decades...but, like JerryG said, jump on the SR forum for a bit and hit up one of their meet and greets, you'll have plenty of people to ski with in no time...and the pipe and park kids will stop trying to hide from you. :-D

powbmps

I worked at a shop there from 92-96 then again in 2000-2002 and worked in Bethel full time from 02-07...daughter went to SR daycare, wife worked at the mountain for a winter...so the social circle has been developed over nearly two decades...but, like JerryG said, jump on the SR forum for a bit and hit up one of their meet and greets, you'll have plenty of people to ski with in no time...and the pipe and park kids will stop trying to hide from you. :-D

I skied SR from 95-96 through 04-05. Haven't been there since. Some fun runs there for sure. Seemed to be going downhill during the ASC years. Similar to the complaints about Killington I suppose. How has it been under the new owners?

I skied SR from 95-96 through 04-05. Haven't been there since. Some fun runs there for sure. Seemed to be going downhill during the ASC years. Similar to the complaints about Killington I suppose. How has it been under the new owners?

There were a couple years under ASC where SR wasn't getting as much love as they needed, but the last 2 years with ASC they put some money into the place...some upgrades in the Barker Lodge and Southride lodge...totally rennovated Sunday River Sports, etc. Since Boyne has come in, they've added the chondola...added to the snowmaking capacity with the boyne guns (not that the snowmaking wasn't already really good) and brought back mtn biking...but its the exact same management team running the place as it was with ASC. So I don't think the changes have been drastic, just a process of continued improvement. I avoid SoRidge so the only benny I get from the Chondola is that a whole bunch of folks want to go ride it and its made the lines at Barker shorter. Bringing back mtn biking is a good thing...which you could credit to Boyne...and they've added the Boyne beds to all the rooms...which I'll never sleep in so IMO the million or so $$ would have been better spent on hill. They've throw a bunch of paint around, spruced the place up and they're financially better suited to make continued improvements going forward. The one big thing everyone want to see is the SouthRidge lodge being bulldozed over and rebuilt..."upgrading" SouthRidge is like putting lipstick on a pig. Its high time for a barbeque.
SR didn't seem to get the same sort of complaints that I heard out of KL with ASC...and new owners at KL only seemed to give the faithfull more to complain about.

2knees

People who spend their time trashing other mountains instead of just getting out and having a blast on the snow, tend to be the biggest gapers of all... :roll:

couldnt agree more.

steve-o-thumbs1.jpg