• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question about Snowmaking

bvibert

Staff member
I think it depends alot on the weather and how much they were able to blow early season. My local mountain has already drastically slowed or maybe even stopped snow making operations. Of course we're pretty small and don't have as much terrain to cover as the big mountains. We do have plenty of coverage though...

sledhaulingmedic

That will vary greatly, depending on location, skier traffic and weather.

Generally speaking, you're not likely to see guns a-blasting after the February school vacations are over.

snowmaker4191

Website
www.snowhill.com.50megs.com
it all depends if it's economical. will the snow stay for long? will it realy make a big effect on the snow quality? resorts normaly make snow in the terain parks for along time (into late season) to keep up the features.

NYDrew

Snowmaking for the most part is usually over. Resorts will only make it in high traffic areas and vunerable spots as a preventative measure. Expect a complete cut off by MLK Jr. day except in beginner areas and High traffic zones (base area).

The longevity of a slope depends more on grooming, which will continue all season.

Vortex

Seems like Killington and Sunday River will make a bit into March in high traffic area and base buiding for late season ability to stay open.

Last year one of the NY mountains made it late into March... Belleayre I think. W had a thread on that last year.
Loon stops just before Mass Feb Vacation, but I have seem Cranmore make it much Later. Feb vacation seems to be the norm for most of the mid to larges size resorts.

Powdr

In Utah, the snowmakers get laid off around Jan 1st. Only a skeleton crew remains to keep lines from freezing. The last guns I saw running this season were on the terrain park at the bottom of PCMR on 12/23.

Powdr

awf170

Powdr said:
In Utah, the snowmakers get laid off around Jan 1st. Only a skeleton crew remains to keep lines from freezing. The last guns I saw running this season were on the terrain park at the bottom of PCMR on 12/23.

Powdr

poor utah :( they dont have nearly the snowmaking as the awsome east coast :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
All depends on money and weather. Most places will work through the week of school vacation and then pull the plug. Burke pulls the plug, except for a couple guys, after MLK day.

NYDrew

Bob R said:
Seems like Killington and Sunday River will make a bit into March in high traffic area and base buiding for late season ability to stay open.

Last year one of the NY mountains made it late into March... Belleayre I think. W had a thread on that last year.
Loon stops just before Mass Feb Vacation, but I have seem Cranmore make it much Later. Feb vacation seems to be the norm for most of the mid to larges size resorts.

Try labrador. It was like the miricle on Ice...except snow. Little local mountain closes the last week in march not because of lack of snow but because of lack of people.

Were looking at a repeat this season.

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
It all depends on the resort. At Belleayre, we rent generators to produce the power for blowing snow. I believe in February the ones we rent go back. We do still have some snow making capacity after they go back but it's drastically reduced.

It's all about economics. It's very expensive to make snow.

It also depends on water supply. I don't think anyone this season will have a water supply problem but, in the past, some resorts have not been able to make enough snow due to a lack of water.