• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Faster way to build strength

Vano

I am exactly 30 days away from my trip to Jackson Hole in February. I will be skiing 4 days in Grand Targhee, resting one day, and then skiing 4 days in Jackson Hole as part of a steep and deep ski camp.

Problem: I NEED to get stronger!!

I have noticed that my biggest problem on trips out west and south america have been leg strength and endurance. I am constantly skiing tired and with my legs burning which doesn't allow me to focus my strenght on skiing well. Therefore, I am on a mission to quickly (and safely) build strength and endurance for skiing.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how I can most effectively get good ski legs in 30 days?

I have a pretty nice elliptical that I have been using for 25 minutes a day at high resistance until my legs are ready to explode. I have been doing 100 squats with no added weight every other day and I have been eating about 250 grams of protein. Anything else I should be doing?

Rushski

I'm in the same boat. After blowing my Achilles last March, I'm still in lousy shape. Believe I'll be better after continuous two leagues of Vball per week and skiing at least once a week. by April maybe I'll be in so-so shape.

Sounds like a sweet trip ahead for you, good luck...

sledhaulingmedic

Try adding Lunges to your routine. Mixing up the eliptical with a stepmill for some variety isn't a bad idea either.

You can also try adding some light weight to the squats and lunges but still keep the reps high. Don't forget to throughly stretch hamstring, quads, glutes, calfs, and anything around the hips.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Phildozer

Strength eh?

I just got an email from someone touting an herbal product called R*(kH@rD and it is supposed to help you "go for hours".

Sounds like they're talking about skiing...

dmc

YardSaleDad said:
Hiking steep trails (1000+ ft of elevation gain) is what I do 3-5 times a week. Works for this 43yo.

yup... thats what I do to get in shape... Hike or skin...

mountaindude

There isn't really a whole lot you can do, especially only thirty days away. Of course you could have made up for some of your lack of strength in the off season. I've been in your situation before and have paid my dues in the weight room. The only suggestion I can make now is to ski more frequently and harder before you leave. Plenty of rest and quality nutrition. :beer:

Vano

Phildozer said:
Strength eh?

I just got an email from someone touting an herbal product called R*(kH@rD and it is supposed to help you "go for hours".

LOL. With this herbal product will my 'strength' last more than 4 hours? I have heard anything after 4 hours is dangerous.

Thanks for the responses guys (especially the last encouraging 'you are SOL!' one). I think I will go with this approach:

- elliptical at high resistance between 20 and 40 minutes, 4 Days a week
- Squats with light weight 2 days a week
- Stairs and balance 2 days a week
- Rest on Saturdays
- Ski as much as I can (which will probably be 3 days tops between now and the trip)

John84

Remember not to overtrain. You've got to give your muscles time to recover from all the stress you'll be putting them through.

ctenidae

Be sure to eat well when you're there, too- hit some carbs (unfortunately, not the liquid kind) after skiing to help your muscles recover.

After that, MAN UP, Nancy Boy. What's a little leg pain? Do you want to ski, or do you want to go sit in the hot tub with the women? (not that that's a bad idea either, but that's not the point) Three things I can not give you- Desire, Determination, and Discipline! Hit! Hustle! Win!

Woof- flashbacks of the "motivational" tape played by my high school football coaches in the off season. You should probably load the Collected Works of R Lee Emery on your iPod, too. Crank it up when you start to feel tired.

R__Lee_Ermey_i_Full__20650f.jpg

I'm talkin' to you, maggot!

Talisman

Have you considered adding running to your regime? On either the road or a treadmill with some incline running a few miles every other day for the next few weeks will help with endurance, wind and get the legs in shape. Push for a 10% distance gain each time you run and do some stretching before and after.

John84

Vano said:
I have been eating about 250 grams of protein. Anything else I should be doing?

Depending on your weight you should definitely decrease the amount of protein you're eating. Generally anything over a 1:1 ratio of protein to body weight (lbs) is going to be harmful to your liver and kidneys.

dmc

ctenidae said:
After that, MAN UP, Nancy Boy. What's a little leg pain? Do you want to ski, or do you want to go sit in the hot tub with the women? (not that that's a bad idea either, but that's not the point) Three things I can not give you- Desire, Determination, and Discipline! Hit! Hustle! Win!

ummm..... BAH HAW HAW!!!!!
Could'nt agree more..

Buck up... Ski your ass off, eat well, drink early, go to bed.. Maybe do a transition day at Snowking..

Enjoy...

I'm am VERY envious of you... Can't say if your going to get deep - but I KNOW you'll be getting steep!!
JH rocks... Have you been??
Targhee's pretty cool too..

bigbog

Phildozer said:
Strength eh?
Jeez, Phil...I just got the same darn thing...only it's supposed to...to boost my 2000 Xterra's Low-gear torque by ten fold!
Maybe it'll do all three 8)
:-?

sledhaulingmedic

"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!"

Seriously, be carefull of overtraining! If you have, or have access to, or don't mind checking your pulse often, try to make your eliptical routine (or cardio workout of choice) an interval extravaganza. Warm up for ten minutes or so, the push yourself and your heartrate up for a minute, then drop the intensity to recover for a minute. Repeat five times, increacing the intensity till you're around 85% of your max HR in the last couple of intervals.

Better yet, rather than listening to a contemporary American Folk Hero such as me, spend a couple of bucks and get a routine from a professional. It'll be worth it.

Most importantly, stick with it and enjoy your trip!

Robert Goulet

Honestly, if you are leaving in a month or so, it may be too late to really make the burn go away unless you can get out skiing everyday and ski bumps. The best way to prep for a ski trip is to ski. I worked on the Appalachain trail this year and hiked every day this fall but was still getting my ass kicked when I moved out to colorado to ski bum. It took about two weeks of skiing everyday to be able to make it down A-basin without having to stop to rest. I don't know where you live, but get out as much as possible and ski bumps and don't stop until you can't ski anymore. Then give your body about five days to rest before you fly out. That should help. If you can't ski everyday, do leg dips on one foot with your heel on the ground and your other foot in front of you for as many repititions as possible. hopefully this will help. Steep and deep camp, eh? you should come to A-basin, tons of snow and plenty of steeps. Colorado has the most snow out west right now.

dropKickMurphy

This may just what you are looking for...

"With merely a month to train before your annual downhill ski trip, is it possible to prepare in time? Certainly. However, next year try to allow 2-3 months for optimal results.

Here is a sample four-week training program that incorporates those conditioning characteristics necessary to enjoy your ski season, including:

1) muscular strength with emphasis on the hips, lower back and legs;

2) muscular endurance for the whole body specific to downhill skiing;

3) general cardiovascular aerobic and anaerobic endurance, especially important for higher-altitude ski areas;

4) balance, agility and coordination;

5) core strength and control; and

6) muscular power and speed for those of you who enjoy moguls or jumps.

This program includes three parts: a strength circuit, interval workouts, and a strength endurance workout. The circuit exercises are ones that you can perform at home, at a hotel, or just about anywhere else you may find yourself with limited access to training equipment."

You can find it here, starting on page 15:
http://www.nsca-lift.org/perform/issues/0201.pdf

Charlie Schuessler

S T R E T C H I N G . . . . .

Where it may not make you stronger directly, it will however enhance your muscles ability to work & recover faster which is more important than strength...