• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Faster way to build strength

hammer

Charlie Schuessler said:
S T R E T C H I N G . . . . .

Where it may not make you stronger directly, it will however enhance your muscles ability to work & recover faster which is more important than strength...
Do you find that static stretching is enough or do you also find that you need to throw in dynamic stretching (e.g., leg lifts) as well? I do other activities that include both static and dynamic stretching, but not that often (twice a week).

I'm also starting to do some abdominal exercises on a regular basis (it's an unofficial New Year's resolution of mine)...not sure how much it will help skiing, but I know I need them in any case.

One question that I have is whether adding anaerobic activities (interval training) would also help in skiing. While aerobic activity is always good to get, it seems that skiing is more of an anaerobic activity...

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
Well, I think you understand there's not much you'll accomplish for this particular trip in less than a month, however, it does not mean you can't help yourself out. As has been said, the best way to get into skiing shape is to, well, ski. But there are other things you can do to help.

All of the things listed here can help out. Just remember, you're trying to get your legs into shape, not so much to make them STRONG. What I mean is, you don't need to be able to squat your house to be in good skiing shape. You're better off if you work some weights for a lot of reps. Ride a bike uphill for a long time. Hit the eliptical trainer HARD for more than the 25 minutes you're doing now. It ain't easy but the benefits you will reap are well worth it.

If you're the type of person who skis a few days a year, well, it's tough to get your legs into skiing shape. But if you're a hard core skier and do 30 (or more) days a year, you shouldn't be that bad off.

When we go out West, we have to remember the runs are longer (sometimes) steeper and more powder. Add these three things together and you'll find we all probably have some burn when we go out there. We're not used to that kind of skiing. Oh yeah, you've also go the altitude to deal with. A lack of oxygen isn't helping much either.

Remember, to eat well and drink a LOT of fluids. Not talking alcohol here, water or some type of sports drink. Hydration is a huge issue and many people don't pay attention to it. I, typically, drink a gallon (or so) of water on any given day. When I'm going West, I up the amount I drink. It helps.

Have fun out there.

smootharc

Ditto on the Lunges....

....walking lunges with hand weights. They are a laugh riot....

And, don't know if I missed it, but, just perhaps, how about as much actual skiing as possible between now and then. Small hill ? Then do non stop runs with leg lifts on the ride up (lift and hold legs an 1" off the footrest. Repeat, then repeat again....all the way up.).

Don't forget core stomach and back muscles, sorry again if I missed that mentioned above.

Best of luck, and say bye to the tram for me. I'll be buying the right one on eBay after they dismantle it. It will become my "home theater/ski workout" room.

Skierman

What I did to build up my legs was one-ski skiing.

Just go down to the bunny hill, once your at the top take off your of your skis and hold it as you ski down on one ski. Then do it with the other leg. It helped me.

tirolerpeter

Conditioning

ALLSKIING said:
This work well if you can't get to a MT often enough.

http://www.skiersedge.com/

Ditto to this. I'm 59 1/2 and the only way I can stay on the mountain all day with people in their 20's is to keep hammering my "Skiersedge" machine. I am now doing "maintenance" at 2,000+ turns per day during non-skiing periods. It not only gives you a very aerobic "non-impact" workout, but it does wonders for your balance (especially if you have the "Slope Simulator" attachment). Go find a gym (or friend) that has one, and do 3,000 turns a day on ituntil you leave for the west. You won't believe how you will feel on the hill!

powers

Try "Sportlegs". It's a supplement containing Calcium Lactate and Magnesium Lactate. The burning is from lactic acid build up. This stuff is basically an antacid for your muscles. You can also go to the store and buy CalMag in the vitamin isle but its usually a different form/slightly less absorbable but cheaper. Take some before you go to bed, first thing in the morning and at lunch. You will be able to push yourself harder so make sure you have plenty of recovery food. When you bonk, you are EMPTY. Try this routine before you go on your trip to see if it works for you.

Vano

dmc said:
ctenidae said:
After that, MAN UP, Nancy Boy. What's a little leg pain? Do you want to ski, or do you want to go sit in the hot tub with the women? (not that that's a bad idea either, but that's not the point) Three things I can not give you- Desire, Determination, and Discipline! Hit! Hustle! Win!

ummm..... BAH HAW HAW!!!!!
Could'nt agree more..

Buck up... Ski your ass off, eat well, drink early, go to bed.. Maybe do a transition day at Snowking..

Enjoy...

I'm am VERY envious of you... Can't say if your going to get deep - but I KNOW you'll be getting steep!!
JH rocks... Have you been??
Targhee's pretty cool too..

DMC, this is my first time going to JH. I have done Snowlta and Solitude in Utah and a bunch in CO, including Silverton, but never been to JH.

Why do you say that it won't be deep? From the looks of it JH gets some serious snow.

Vano

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I might as well give a one week update.

Did 6 days in a row last week:
Appoximately 25 minutes a day on the elliptical, including some reverse (my quads were killing in reverse). Did 3 days of squats and 3 days of one leg dips. Did pushups and situps all 6 days to strengthen the core. Been stretching quite a bit as well, eating about 200 grams of protein and taking an ameno acid powder to help recover faster.

Took a break on Sunday and soreness set in - I can could barely move my legs by the afternoon. Somehow have to force myself back into the routine when I get home from work today.

I also agree that skiing is the best way to get ready, unfortunately I would be lucky to get out on the mountain one or two days between now and the trip; being from NJ and all - the weather isn't exactly helping either.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Don't force yourself to work through extreme soreness, it won't aid you at all.

Your legs are sore because you have micro tears in your muscles from working them. You need to let them recover for maximum gains. Unfortunately, they take a while to recover after the first workout in a while. While recovering for an activity like skiing I shoot for a 3:2 carb to protein ratio. When I bike I go for more like 2:1 or 3:1.