• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Grateful Thread

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
To me...the entire road to the phish "break-up" and now the possible reunion etc. just enforces how amazing the Dead were. I mean phish broke up after what, about a third (at most a half) of the years that the Dead were together. Longevity means a lot and says a lot of the band. Agreed, the last number of years were barely a shadow of their oldselves.

Also, I have to agree with Ckofer about Hot Buttered Rum String Band. They are really amazing....all should check them out.

Finally, I have now downloaded all of the PAF official released shows and they are just fabulous. After listening to them extensively, I have to agree with Bob that PAF is one of the best things going these days.

dmc

There are certainly a lot of really good bands out there...

Phish did break up but the Dead also kinda broke up for a while too...

the demands of running a band and the organisation that supports it are brutal...

GGreen

i'd go too

the last trey show i saw at jones beach was pretty bad, but i hope phish can come back solid if they do.

In better news, the New Orleans Heritage Jazz Festival will be going on this year as usual!!!! It will still be hosted at the Fairgrounds and should be a blast! Can't wait!

taul

ckofer said:
Stone Church: holds 200 people, now smoke-free, great shows. Phish played there in the mid 80s. Also saw Melvin Seals with JGB there a few years ago.

http://www.thestonechurch.com/

New England Skiing and Jam/Funk Music, two of my favorite things all in one spot!

I hope that you all come and check out The Stone Church if you get a chance. My name is Paul, and I'm one of the three guys who bought and saved the place a couple years ago. I also lurk about on these boards from time to time.

If your ever there, stop by and say hey. I'm the tall fella with a beard and ponytail. I'm usually working in the kitchen.

Upcoming Shows of interest:
2/3 Percy Hill Trio
2/10 The Mammals
2/16 Ryan Montbleau Band (great funky soul out of Boston)
2/24 Moon Boot Lover
3/2 The Breakfast
3/10 Jim Weider (the Band) with Tony Levin (Bass God)
3/17 Tea Leaf Green (My new favorite band in the universe)
4/13-14 Hot Buttered Rum String Band

Shoot an email or a PM if you ever have any questions about shows.

Vortex

I got on the bus in 1985. I found the Hornsby years my favorite. I enjoyed the Brent years as well. I hear more about the Brent years know than I did then.
I did not think the Dead sucked at any point. I thought they were pretty tight in the later years.

I could not go on tour 3 times a year anymore anyway. Work, family and age started to get in the way.
1995 did look like we were in trouble. I still have all my tickets from the last Boston Garden run. Well the one that never happened. I had a front row ticket for the last night. I did not miss a show there in the 90's.

DMC if Phil is there, you got a roomate. Phil said he would play with Warren this year. Most thought it would be at the Beacon run. Summer tour would be good great.

Here we go on the that 3 tour again thing.

Vortex

Wow, very cool. thankx for not lurking. We are a mixed group of mellow outdoor sports lovers. A few of us have a love for live music as well. I'll check the band options and stop by sometime.

dmc

taul said:
I hope that you all come and check out The Stone Church if you get a chance. My name is Paul, and I'm one of the three guys who bought and saved the place a couple years ago. I also lurk about on these boards from time to time.

If your ever there, stop by and say hey. I'm the tall fella with a beard and ponytail. I'm usually working in the kitchen.

Upcoming Shows of interest:
2/3 Percy Hill Trio
2/10 The Mammals
2/16 Ryan Montbleau Band (great funky soul out of Boston)
2/24 Moon Boot Lover
3/2 The Breakfast
3/10 Jim Weider (the Band) with Tony Levin (Bass God)
3/17 Tea Leaf Green (My new favorite band in the universe)
4/13-14 Hot Buttered Rum String Band

Shoot an email or a PM if you ever have any questions about shows.

Jim Weider Band is from my neck of the woods!!!
What a great band - expecially with Levin - also from my area...

Good luck!! I'l try and stop in sometime!!

Interested in booking a funk band from the Catskill mountains?

GGreen

Hi Paul, I've been hearing a lot of Tea Leaf Green on Sirius radio lately and they're pretty awesome. How far is The Stone Church from Mt Snow, I'd love to come check out that show

taul

I'm actually surprised that was my first post here, I figured I would have chimed in on something before now. We'll the ice is broken now, you're all going to have to put up with me now.

Mt Snow to Newmarket is about 2+ hours dependng on weather/traffic. Take 9 East to Keene, then 101 to Exeter. I grew up skiing over that way at Magic, Bromley, Stratton, and Snow so I've done that drive many, many times.

Vortex

Brettski, have you been around lately?

I know have to miss the Phil Providence shows to go away on business, not to mention our Monday night race. Got hit twice that week.

No on the So Many roads. I would have to check I don't think I was in the meadowlands that fall.

ChileMass

Ther version of "Caution" on So Many Roads is killer.

I was at the Meadowlands on Labor Day, 1978 and caught the last show before the Dead went to Egypt. Marshall Tucker and Willie Nelson warmed up. Put the tiny magic paper on my tongue as we crossed into Jersey and was so blown out by the time we got to Giants Stadium that I lost my college roomie immediately as I walked in with 100,000 of my closest friends. Never saw another person I recognized the rest of the day, so it was a very long, hot, weird afternoon.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Now let's not overlook Lichen-a southern NH Dead covers band. I saw them first while in college (1983 or so) playing downtown Nashua near Railroad Square in a divey little club.

They've had Thursday night gigs in the Manchvegas area for years. I might just go tonight,

Check out:

http://www.lichen.net/

band2.jpg

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
ChileMass said:
Ther version of "Caution" on So Many Roads is killer.

I was at the Meadowlands on Labor Day, 1978 and caught the last show before the Dead went to Egypt. Marshall Tucker and Willie Nelson warmed up. Put the tiny magic paper on my tongue as we crossed into Jersey and was so blown out by the time we got to Giants Stadium that I lost my college roomie immediately as I walked in with 100,000 of my closest friends. Never saw another person I recognized the rest of the day, so it was a very long, hot, weird afternoon.

What a long strange trip it must have been... 8)

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Good start to a morning which should have been an Attitash day but we cancelled with the pending rain: flipping channels I caught the end of "Till The Morning Comes" on FOX news. It was the background music to the weather report (my eyes were still 1/2-shut). This never happens on the NH station.

Vortex

My buddy sits in with lichen sometimes, I caught them play before the dog show at meadow brook. the fat man rocks. Have I heard that before?

Bad news for me I have to miss the Providence Phil shows due to work and I like getting paid.

So anyone need 1 ticket for each night in
providence (face).

I had to buy plane tickets to make the (Phili) Phil shows know, cause of time constraints. The flight will also allow me to get back for the Az race night otherise I would miss that also.

Way to much effort to make this all happen. Well when I'm dancin my ars off I'll think different.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com