• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Grateful Thread

gorgonzola

1980 RCMH.... :)

First year I was really Dead aware... Saw them once before 80 at Nassau... But in 80 we saw them early in the year at the Capital Theater and then in Oct at Radio City... And really started to know more then just Truckin and Casey jones.. :)

Had to lie to my parents..

RCMH is an amazing place... A gem!

+ a buzzillion - one of my first shows was halloween night '80

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jealous of you all who saw them during earlier times. I didn't get on the bus until 89.

I'm not jealous of your ages though. :grin:

dmc

Jealous of you all who saw them during earlier times. I didn't get on the bus until 89.

You should be... :)

One of my favorite attended shows - 10.11.83... We got tickets the day of at Scotty's Records in Summit NJ.. had tickets already for the next night from Mail order...
http://www.archive.org/details/gd83-10-11.sbd.bertha-ashley.26459.sbeok.flacf

When they busted out St Stephen... The crowd went ballistic.... And at the time I really didn't understand why everyone was so stoked... I do now... :)

1st show-9/20/88-MSG...i think the price was $16...waited in line at the local video store/ticketmaster outlet

(i actually snuck into the spectrum for the last 3 songs when someone kicked open a door a couple weeks prior, but don't count that as my first 'show')

gorgonzola

thats ok well worth being old's kewl - also saw jerry and merl the pearl do harder they come at the tower theatre in reference to some other posts earlier in the thread

gorgonzola

'74? my boss was at one of those shows...the tower is a great place to see a show

naah not quite that old - had to be between early to mid '80's... tower's awesome, memorable shows besides jgb were dave bromberg, jimmy cliff/peter tosh, bobby and the midnites, hot tuna.... although that might have been the capital, gets a little hazy :blink:

edit: the best part of those shows sometimes was the supporting cast - turned me on to whole other genres of music...alphonso johnson, billy cobham, just f(#*$&% amazing

Last edited:

WWF-VT

Ok I will play, 1985 Springfield MA 2nd night spring tour. I had no idea, and I was hooked instantly.

My first show was May 11, 1978 at Springfield,MA which is one of the shows on Dick's Pick's Vol 25.
Thanks to my older brother who thought I was cool enough to go with him and his friends

I went to Radio City for the Oct 30, 1980 show

My last was Oct 1, 1994 at the Boston Garden.
Thanks to my younger brother, who spent a few years going to every east coast show, and thought I was cool enough to go with him and his friends

ZYDECORICH

My first show was aug 4 at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ. It was an old semi pro baseball stadium. what a rat hole,but the show was when the Dead were still using the wall of sound. i would say my favorite show was Englishtown NJ 9/3/77 with the new riders and marshall tucker. instead of using fencing they had the entire area surrounded by tractor trailer cars with security on top.

Vortex

My first show was May 11, 1978 at Springfield,MA which is one of the shows on Dick's Pick's Vol 25.
Thanks to my older brother who thought I was cool enough to go with him and his friends

I went to Radio City for the Oct 30, 1980 show

My last was Oct 1, 1994 at the Boston Garden.
Thanks to my younger brother, who spent a few years going to every east coast show, and thought I was cool enough to go with him and his friends

I hit all the Boston shows in the 90's. I think it was 18 and I had 6 tickets, well 2 to each show so 12 tickets to the final Garden run. I got to keep the tickets from GDTS. I had front row for the last night. I also had a Sat MSG ticket for that run. That is all they sent out before the news.
Jersery Joey leads the gang in show attendance. Would have loved to catch some of the mid seventies.

Ryan am I going to see you tomorrow?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll be there, but not until close to show time. Several friends are pre-gaming at I forget where, but the Kind Buds are playing a bar in town. Good acoustic duo that covers a lot of dead.

Vortex

I have seen them several times. They are playing at an irish bar across from city hall I think. I have to work till 5. In a perfect world I could be parked by 6.30 probably 7. A quick lot beer and in unless I have quick ride. Set break maybe. Trying to get Maineskier 69 to come along.

Vortex

Furthur to play here. We kind of knew this anyway http://natevafestival.com/

lazy, copy of list from the phil zone

Live Free Or DIE!!!

2/18/10
Manchester, NH
Furthur

stranger
loose lucy (BW),
Roses,
Deep Elem,
Little Light,
Money For Gas,
Loser,
Sugaree (BW)

Set 2

Truckin' >
Deal,
Viola (v1-v3) >
Nobody Girl >
Birdsong (PL) >
Born Cross Eyed >
Scarlet >
Fire,
Sug Mag

E: The Weight

looked for DHS saw Maineskier quickly

2nd set better than first. Had the vegas as in manch vegas feel with loser and deal. Fire on the mtn and sugaree took into account the mountains and snow. Phil gave nh props in the doner rap. Bob has some memory issues. money for gasoline had a nice jam going, was cut a bit short IMO.

Quality show. I think the Ct show I saw last fall was better. Sound was great venue was almost full.

Saw maineskier, tired to find DHS. hard to move around.good crowd. Phil had more fun than anyone.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Furthur to play here. We kind of knew this anyway http://natevafestival.com/

lazy, copy of list from the phil zone

Live Free Or DIE!!!

2/18/10
Manchester, NH
Furthur

stranger
loose lucy (BW),
Roses,
Deep Elem,
Little Light,
Money For Gas,
Loser,
Sugaree (BW)

Set 2

Truckin' >
Deal,
Viola (v1-v3) >
Nobody Girl >
Birdsong (PL) >
Born Cross Eyed >
Scarlet >
Fire,
Sug Mag

E: The Weight

looked for DHS saw Maineskier quickly

2nd set better than first. Had the vegas as in manch vegas feel with loser and deal. Fire on the mtn and sugaree took into account the mountains and snow. Phil gave nh props in the doner rap. Bob has some memory issues. money for gasoline had a nice jam going, was cut a bit short IMO.

Quality show. I think the Ct show I saw last fall was better. Sound was great venue was almost full.

Saw maineskier, tired to find DHS. hard to move around.good crowd. Phil had more fun than anyone.

Looks good...except for Bobby and Phil still singing those Jerry classics :(

deadheadskier

Staff member
As soon as they rolled into Birdsong I was assuming Bob was going to sing it. I hate, hate, hate Bobby's take on this tune. I've probably mentioned it prior in this thread in fact :lol: Was much relieved to have Phil sing and actually kind of happy he did as he did the song justice.

Loved the Viola > Nobody Girl (had not heard that before)

Fire was hot as was Sugarmag, but I was spent by then.

Really happy with the show overall. MUCH better than the Dead show I saw in Worcester last spring.

While Chementi impressed me more this show than what I've seen of him in the past; still think they need a strong singer / more dynamic keyboardist in that slot. He's kind of like Keith Godchaux in his later years to me. You hear about 10 minutes of brilliance per show and then the rest of the time you forget he's there.

As Bobr mention, excellent sound in the venue.