• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Grateful Thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
also, another thing I noticed was during the 2nd set, from my vantage point it really seemed like John K was the band leader. 1st it seemed like typical ego Bobby taking charge, but the 2nd set he clearly was deferring to John and John was more than up to the part.

Vortex

Phil was running the show IMO.

He was telling bobby what to do when. Same with john, well at least a the beginning of each song.

Once the songs started John "most obvious to the naked eye" had complete control of his jams and orchestration. I too was surprised how much control he had. john did not have it in Money for gasoline. bobby really sadly cut that off, that was my favorite Jam of the first set. Dead horse done being beaten.

TrailsEndChazyLake

It looks like as of 7:15 Sat. AM,,,,I have 3 extra tickets for FURTHUR in Utica, if anyone is interested.
You can PM me here or best bet, e-mail me at tmryan@twcny.rr.com ,,,,,I will be getting up early to ski most of the day then coming home checking e-mail and then heading to the show....Thanks!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Radio city is by far and away the best indoor venue! Sorry for the typo's this is a live report! They sound awesome. Great first set. Jeff is ripping. John is singing. They went into a great dear mr. Fantasy and now Jeff is ripping a piano solo!

marcski

They went into a sucky ratdog song. I went to pee and get a new beer. Was back just in time for a very high energy Sampson & delilah to close the first set. They teased The other one to start the 1st set and then went into playing. They never finished that last verse of playing. So i'm looking for those somewhere in the 2nd set. They are playing Ray LaMontagne now during the break.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
nice

looks like a sweet set. I was in the city for work the past couple of days. One of our customers joined us for dinner. He's there tonight, 4th row center. He mentioned wanting to hear a Two djinn, so I'm sure he's psyched.

I wept going past RCMH in a cab last night.......wish I could've stayed down.

marcski

2nd set so far:

Viola lee blues
Shakedown
Hard to handle
Deal
Masons children
Days between
Let it grow
Help on the way
Slipknot
Franklin's
(Phil)
e. Johnnie B. Goode

Good show. John is really good. They should have let him sing Franklin's. I could have certainly done without that shitty bobby/ratdog song in the 1st and days between in the 2nd. But hey, you need to pee and get a refill at some point.

There were some nice highlighs. After midnight, they loved each other, masterpiece and The Race is on from the 1st. And Mason's Children from the 2nd. Bobby sung Hard to Handle. Note the word sung?...he really did a good job, no screaming or screaching.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
They went into a sucky ratdog song. I went to pee and get a new beer. Was back just in time for a very high energy Sampson & delilah to close the first set. They teased The other one to start the 1st set and then went into playing. They never finished that last verse of playing. So i'm looking for those somewhere in the 2nd set. They are playing Ray LaMontagne now during the break.

you just hate Bobby :lol:

It Two Djinn was a Garcia song that John sang you'd like it. :lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm just busting stones. I think every head has a love/hate relationship with Mr. Weir.

Two Djinn I enjoy. Did he sing Days Between? I'd be ranting over that. That song and Bird Song my ears bleed when he sings them. I was SO happy Phil sang Bird Song in Manchester instead of Bobby. I would've obviously preferred John singing, but not having Bobby singing it was a relief.

marcski

I'm just busting stones. I think every head has a love/hate relationship with Mr. Weir.

Two Djinn I enjoy. Did he sing Days Between? I'd be ranting over that. That song and Bird Song my ears bleed when he sings them. I was SO happy Phil sang Bird Song in Manchester instead of Bobby. I would've obviously preferred John singing, but not having Bobby singing it was a relief.

Bobby did Days Between. That song sucks. lol. I did forget to mention one thing. The lightshow was beyond amazing.....Really cool, they had spots, a backdrop, some fun kaleidoscope things on the rear screen....just great. Definitely added a good dimension.

Vortex

I did a m/o for lowell. I will buy a day ticket for maine when day tickets become come availible. Got to talk to the wife about July 3rd. Long ride between venues and how to handle the dog comes into play.

deadheadskier

Staff member
apparently there was another thread which was removed where some nasty things were said about Jill.

the gist was they felt the need to defend themselves. great double bird webcam photo to validate themselves.

deadheadskier

Staff member
summer tour announced.

Thinking of hitting the Brooklyn shows and Lowell

http://furthur.net/

hotel booked for Brooklyn shows

going to skip Brooklyn and do the Estate show in Albany instead. Free place to stay. need to keep ticket expenditures in check.

hopefully we hook up at Lowell Bob. Putting in my ticket requests tomorrow for those two shows. Still might swing Vibes. rumor has it they're headlining two nights.

Vortex

I have heard a pretty big leg 2 around NYC.

I am working with my wife on the estates show to see if it works or not.

A long ride from there to Oxford. Basically if Mrs comes to Maine then I will just go there. If not I will do both. Easy to hook up a GA show.

Vibes two days would be awesome.

Did the early bird deal there. Something like $125. The March 19th artist list make sense. Two weeks after the announcement of their own tour and leg one.

My guess is leg two comes out a right around the same time.

I met Jill and Phil at a organ donor blood drive thing in Phili. Phil took a picture with me. Jill asked if security had mellowed at venue. Electric factory. Q era.

The dead is very similar to skiing, People spend quite of bit of time bitching about what they love to do.