• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Grateful Thread

Funky_Catskills

Lots of my Phish friends are worried we are at the dreaded "Touch of Grey" part of Phishes career.. Thinking there will be an influx of new fanners that may not be there for the music... I think that will happen.. I'm not a lot guy - but I'm sure the GDF presence will increase and all that.. It's like squeezing a balloon..

Your sentiment seems to be shared amongst many(people I know) Bob..
Take it easy(but take it) - you deserve it... :)

We have a ton of new people that love Trey's playing but still don't enjoy Phish lyrics and style..
They won't even walk through the gates of the next Phish show.. But have awesome memories of "red" crushing it in Chicago..

Sure don't know what I'm going for...
But I'm gonna go for it for sure........

Vortex

Lots of my Phish friends are worried we are at the dreaded "Touch of Grey" part of Phishes career.. Thinking there will be an influx of new fanners that may not be there for the music... I think that will happen.. I'm not a lot guy - but I'm sure the GDF presence will increase and all that.. It's like squeezing a balloon..

Your sentiment seems to be shared amongst many(people I know) Bob..
Take it easy(but take it) - you deserve it... :)

We have a ton of new people that love Trey's playing but still don't enjoy Phish lyrics and style..
They won't even walk through the gates of the next Phish show.. But have awesome memories of "red" crushing it in Chicago..

Sure don't know what I'm going for...
But I'm gonna go for it for sure........

Very good post. Semi touring retirement is a good place.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The lot wooks don't really affect me too much and I think you're right Funky, there will be more of them now at Phish shows. Hopefully that doesn't translate to more difficulties in getting tickets. I doubt it will, but you never know. Maybe it will for this year due to new curiosity, but will likely taper off.

All I care is the band maintains creativity and has fun still.

But tbh though, I'm kind of where Bob is at and have been for sometime now. I still love live music, just in smaller settings instead of the huge arenas. Less hassle, more intimate and the setting often makes the performances more spontaneous in where the jams go.

Glad we still have so many options and likely always will.

crank

Going to GOTV just for Friday. Kind of excited to see David Grisman and Peter Rowan playing with the band String Cheese Incident. I have no idea what SCI sounds like but I am hoping for a few OLD And In The Way tunes.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Going to GOTV just for Friday. Kind of excited to see David Grisman and Peter Rowan playing with the band String Cheese Incident. I have no idea what SCI sounds like but I am hoping for a few OLD And In The Way tunes.
String Cheese are awesome. One of my favorite bands. They play a mix of bluegrass, funk, some dancetronica, and jammy rock. Cool sound with one lead acoustic guitar and a 2nd lead on a mini electric guitar and electric mandolin.

ScottySkis

So does this rule out a reunion tour with Dylan???

I heard him live 2 years ago at Bethel woods I glad I did but his voice is really shot and he only sang 3 hits from 60s osychelioad all other be sang was definitely after be found religious I guess 1980s?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Last time I saw Dylan was I think 99. He co-billed a tour with Phil and Friends. Derek Trucks was called in at the last minute as Kimock had quit the band. For the tour Phil and Dylan would alternate which band opened and which band closed each night.

The Phil set was absolutely incredible. Derek just crushed it with only a day's notice to rehearse. Dylan was such an epic let down after, we walked out half way through the set.

I've always loved Dylan's work, but not his performance. I prefer other people play his tunes.

ScottySkis

Guess the motorcycle accident changes life style for Bob. Love living so close to where he and many great legend s from 60 s lived near and real Woodstock .got go to levons home one night for the music and groove s.

Funky_Catskills

Wow... yeah... SCI is great... I'm thinking of heading down for this - they don't tour much in the NE...

You wont regret it... So good...

crank

So SCI came out mostly acoustic with David Grizman, Peter Rowan, a great bluegrass fiddle player who's name I can;t remember and a great banjo picker who's name I also can't remember. The did an entire set of Old And In The Way material along with some Grizman songs and some Peter Rowan songs and a Vassar Clemens fiddle number.

Some of the songs they played: Old And In The Way, Midnight Moonlight, Panama Red (NRPS hit that Rowan wrote), eat My Dust (Grizman tune), a nice bluegrassy Wild Horses, and they ended with Ripple. M0re songs were played but these are the titles I remember. THat set was a real treat for an old Old And In The Way fan like myself.

I worked my way up pretty close to the stage, mainly because the SCI fans were kind of rowdy and talking a lot which was, I admit, annoying me quite a bit. I just kept moving up so I could hear without so much background noise in the foreground.

When the band went electric I could see that the SCI fans were there for a dance party and I really liked the band's eclectic mix of styles...some electronica mixed with sone bluegrass, hard rock, jazzy themes and even some classical notes. We were sooo tired from a long day in the sun and took off to beat the crowd out to the shuttle busses around 12:30ish. Will definitely go see String Cheese Incident again. Fantastic players! The keyboard player had a boatload of really nice patches and used them well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I lived where you do, I'd go to the MSG show. No Phil (and I do love Otiel) and Mayer doesn't excite me enough to spend likely $400+ and head to Manhattan. If they come to Boston which cuts the expense for me in half? I'd consider it.

Still feel a bit weird about Mayer. There are so many better choices even though he's a great guitarist and has a good voice. It kind of seems to me that the band is trying to spread the music to a new, young, mainstream crowd. That will bring in new sources of revenue for future generations of the Dead family, which I get. However, with their advancing age, I'd rather see collaborations more true to the history of the band.