• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 77.6%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Simple question. Poll results are kept private so please vote regardless of your response. Feel free to elaborate by replying if you want, or not. No pressure to clarify your opinion, but please at least vote. I'm trying to take the overall pulse of the community. If you're not sure, or don't have an opinion or don't care, simply don't vote.

dmc

It's not overly moderated... It's subjectively moderated.

The way one person is moderated is different from another.

gmcunni

i agree with DMC. different people are moderated differently. those that whine, complain, troll, insult and generally annoy others are moderated differently than people who come here to enjoy the forums and participate in a constructive manner.

dmc

i agree with DMC. different people are moderated differently. those that whine, complain, troll, insult and generally annoy others are moderated differently than people who come here to enjoy the forums and participate in a constructive manner.

Please be nice thats not what I was referring to.

We can be cool - right?

oh wait - your a Sundown guy... nevermind.. your ok... :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would argue that there will always be some level of subjectivity in all walks of life. I got off without warning going 48 in a 30 mph zone last week. Not every cop would be as forgiving.

In general, and I feel confident in saying this for all the moderators; 'moderating' is something we try and avoid. Generally speaking, when one of us steps in, 90% of the time, the person who is the subject of moderation is looking for attention often in a negative way to begin with.

but, it's all subjective. Not every decision will be popular. If you really want a boring forum, then I supposed we could be 100% objective and make things completely black or white. Lots of gray area here, some just refuse to see that.

2knees

I would argue that there will always be some level of subjectivity in all walks of life. I got off without warning going 48 in a 30 mph zone last week. Not every cop would be as forgiving.

In general, and I feel confident in saying this for all the moderators; 'moderating' is something we try and avoid. Generally speaking, when one of us steps in, 90% of the time, the person who is the subject of moderation is looking for attention often in a negative way to begin with.

but, it's all subjective. Not every decision will be popular. If you really want a boring forum, then I supposed we could be 100% objective and make things completely black or white. Lots of gray area here, some just refuse to see that.

no offense, but you've been a moderator for 3 or 4 months and I've read some version of this speech from you at least 10 times. my suggestion is to back off a bit. We get it. its not an easy job. You CHOSE to take it. Thats YOUR issue, we dont need the lectures. And I dont see Greg, Dave, Jimg or Brian posting this same message very often.

my .02 cents.

dmc

true... but as much as there are levels of subjectivity being imposed there's different tolerance levels to said subjectivity.. And to some it may not make a difference if they are not part of the decision to moderate.

if your going to be subjective then have at it.. As a long standing member of the AZ community - I'd love to be treated differently the some gaper off the street if there's a decision to be made. Or a guy that skis with you all the time and you know from years ago should get different treatment then me - who's never met you.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
no offense, but you've been a moderator for 3 or 4 months and I've read some version of this speech from you at least 10 times. my suggestion is to back off a bit. We get it. its not an easy job. You CHOSE to take it. Thats YOUR issue, we dont need the lectures. And I dont see Greg, Dave, Jimg or Brian posting this same message very often.

my .02 cents.
He is posting this in defense in a thread about the moderation on AZ. Don't think it's all that wrong of him to do so....KWIM?

This seems to be a topic that comes up regularly and in the end, the general consensus is that the forum is not over-moderated.
http://forums.alpinezone.com/56970-az-time-out.html
http://forums.alpinezone.com/6902-note-about-our-moderators.html

I agree that you can't really ask a human being to be anything but subjective. There is some skill in figuring out when the line is crossed, when something is meant in jest versus to flame, etc. Black and white rules seems great on paper, but likely would be problematic and cause more uproar if instituted. Since it's mentioned in another thread recently, let's take the language question. What if Greg put to use some sort of software that kept track of every time you swore in your posts and after x number of times, you were banned? Is that the sort of moderation you (the community) would prefer?

deadheadskier

Staff member

my .02 cents.

It's a thread on whether or not people feel this place is over moderated. Seems like a fairly appropriate place to post my feelings on it no? And I would also disagree in that in the Skidbump thread, both Greg and Brian have defended how and why they've moderated certain situations.

As if often said, if you don't like it, don't read it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
. As a long standing member of the AZ community - I'd love to be treated differently the some gaper off the street if there's a decision to be made.

I've seen you been given the benefit of the doubt more than most dmc. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Greg

Staff member

my .02 cents.

I get what you're saying, but I think Ryan has a good way breaking things down, and I think he addressed the subjective argument quite well. Look. We're all here for the same reason, and the last thing the mods want to do is "lecture" any of you. So don't act like a bunch of idiots and everything will be cool. ;) :razz:

2knees

He is posting this in defense in a thread about the moderation on AZ. Don't think it's all that wrong of him to do so....KWIM?

I dont speak acronym.

Greg started this topic for honest answers. I gave mine. I stand by it. I dont need the lectures. If they dont bother you, great.

Greg

Staff member
Greg started this topic for honest answers. I gave mine. I stand by it. I dont need the lectures. If they dont bother you, great.

Your kids probably don't like them either...

dmc

Watch how this thread gets nasty(mean) quickly...

SKIDORK: "Been busy this morning I see..."

Glenn: "Some people just can't let things go apparently. How long until I'm "waaahwahhh'd" elsewhere?"

Greg: "The fact that grown adults insist upon acting this way is amazing to me. It should pretty embarrassing really. It appears to be a small group that does it just so they actually have something to talk about elsewhere."

deadheadskier: "pretty much

Also somewhat like a young kid messing with the neighbors dog to see how far he can push it before it bites. In this case the 'bite' is a warning from a moderator of which they go and brag about to their friends. What ensues is a brewhaha about the over moderating here. Pretty pathetic"

DMC: "You can be very mean.

Are there bylaws against bumping a thread that just happened to be started by someone that is not in "favor"?

I think it's cool to see some of the really good and entertaining threads that these people started. It shows the good things about them to help temper the negativity.

There were some really good threads created by him.. He did participate and add positive information to the group..."

deadheadskier

Staff member
I dont speak acronym.

Fair enough

but my words were directed at dmc. You were the one who made it about me lecturing you.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
No, but sometimes when a redundant thread is posted (and locked) I would have like to seen it merged with the "original" topic. On that note, I mentioned that in a (redundant) thread recently, and poof! Threads were merged and conversations continued.