• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Baking

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Not quite winter yet, but the baking bug has bitten. Better be careful though... last year this was what aided in gaining back the weight I had lost in the summer prior, even though I gave most of the baked goods away. :oops: In any case, I have sticky buns on their second rise now. I should probably just figure out somewhere to drop them off this afternoon after I bake them so I don't eat them. :lol:

Anybody else like to bake? Food, that is.

Last edited:

drjeff

Made up what I must pat myself on the back and say was a rather killer batch of peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies last night. Although even with the dough really chilled, my attempt to let the kids use the cookie cutters and create some fun shapes for their cookies ended up in a delicous, but rather amorphous looking mass of cookie goodness - guess I should just leave the cookie cutters for good 'ol fashioned sugar cookie dough!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Cut-out cookies are so frustrating. I have so many cool cookie cutters but I rarely use them because of the hassle. Getting the right dough recipe helps, but temperature is a big factor, too. Regardless, as long as they taste good, who cares what they look like, right? :D

I found an awesome white chocolate oatmeal cookie recipe last year that I will definitely be making again this winter. It's a little time-consuming (you have to chop up a bar of good white chocolate--no fake white chocolate chips) but it's so yummy.

snoseek

Hell Yeah a baking thread!

I love to bake stuff at home. I have been baking 7 grain bread every four or so days. It is cheap and taste damn good. Also been playing around with different styles of syrian and flat breads, they also are addictive. I am due for a pie soon, maybe just apple because they're sofa king cheap right now.

Baking is consistantly fun for me (chef) to come home and make. Well maybe soup also. I friggen love making soup, with fresh baked bread!

snoseek

LOVE baking bread. I dabbled a little bit in it last winter but haven't really taken off with it yet. The 5-Minute Artisan Bread is awesome, though, and so little work.

Yeah that looks nice and easy. Will try it Tuesday maybe, I'll resist the temptation to add wheat flour and try it as is.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Yeah that looks nice and easy. Will try it Tuesday maybe, I'll resist the temptation to add wheat flour and try it as is.
:lol: Yeah, it's not the healthiest. Even when I make sticky buns, I replace some of the white flour with wheat. Still, it's a nice indulgence.

snoseek

I'm due for some white bread for sure!

I used to have the same issue with corn bread, I could eat it twice a week in quanity but need to watch weight. I love it but figured it had no redeeming qualities so I opted to grind up some quinoa into flour and slide it in. Slowly everytime I added a little more till it made up almost half the dry mixture without comprimising much! I am now O.K. with corn bread again!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Have you tried KAF White Whole Wheat? It's not bad and pretty good sub for all-purpose in most recipes. At least it's a little better... I haven't tried it for that artisan bread yet though. I can't always find it when I'm shopping.

snoseek

Have you tried KAF White Whole Wheat? It's not bad and pretty good sub for all-purpose in most recipes. At least it's a little better... I haven't tried it for that artisan bread yet though. I can't always find it when I'm shopping.

I'm gonna have to check that out. It sucks when grocery stores don't carry a good selection. The baking isle is slowly shrinking in many stores. Two weeks ago I was in a major chain store that didn't have any king arthur bread flour-unreal. They also didn't have any sanding sugar closest thing was raw sugar and I was looking for really coarse stuff. Their competition is my baking headquarters now!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm gonna have to check that out. It sucks when grocery stores don't carry a good selection. The baking isle is slowly shrinking in many stores. Two weeks ago I was in a major chain store that didn't have any king arthur bread flour-unreal. They also didn't have any sanding sugar closest thing was raw sugar and I was looking for really coarse stuff. Their competition is my baking headquarters now!
Yeah, good baking supplies are hard to find in town. Trader Joe's tends to have the best stuff but they're 45 min away so I rarely go there. I'm not fond of the idea of having to pay shipping for flour either so I tend to make do. But for the longest time, the closest grocery store only had KAF All-Purpose. This week, they have the Bread and Whole Wheat flours, too, and they're all on sale for $2.99/5 lbs.

Grassi21

Hey Sev.....I owned a bakery in Torrington for 12 years.....I can make some killer Brownies!!!!

I want your brownies!!!

I love all types of braking....

cakes, cookies, brownies, breads. I wish I had time for another hobby. Bread making. We eat so much of it and its not all great.