• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NY License Plates Change = More Tickets in VT

Geoff

License plate color has no impact at all in Vermont. The towns get rent-a-sheriffs from the county. Their only job is to write tickets and that funds their pay. Green plates are no help at all even if you live in the town.

On secondary roads, even speed limit + 5 isn't safe. If the county sheriff is having a slow ticket writing day, he'll pull anybody over.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I think NY residents traveling to VT are going to get more speeding tickets with the proposed license plate change in NY State. Those new ugly NY license plates will be obvious a mile away. The VT police will be giving out speeding tickets just for having ugly license plates. NYers have enough problems in other states. We don't need this.

Cool...maybe my property taxes will go down. :lol:

As Riv alluded to here is the key to not getting a ticket, anywhere. Look at the speed limit sign, in Vermont all state highways are 50 with a couple of exceptions, and match that number to the round thing with numbers called a speedometer. I guess some are not round but it's right in front of you. Remember it the mph not the kph you want to match with. You can drive that number plus 5mph and you won't get a ticket. :wink: :lol:

My father, a retired NYC cop, says everyone who gets a speeding ticket lies about how fast they were really going. I never believed him. It's not everyone just most everyone. :wink: Getting ready to duck. :lol:

Small towns do have contracts with their County Sheriff Departments, it's the deputies tho that are out there writing tickets not the County Sheriff, 99% of the time. All the cars do say County Sheriff cause it's the County Sheriff Dept not because it's the actual County Sheriff. The State Police performs the same service for some towns. Some of these towns can't afford their own police departments and they need a police presence to protect their kids from getting run over from people, from Vermont and other states, speeding thru town.

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You can drive that number plus 5mph and you won't get a ticket. :wink: :lol:
Except in Woodstock, VT. 1 MPH over the limit there and you are toast ;)

My father, a retired NYC cop, says everyone who gets a speeding ticket lies about how fast they were really going. I never believed him. It's not everyone just most everyone. :wink: Getting ready to duck. :lol:
Must be why I have never received a speeding ticket. Got pulled over at least a half dozen times. "You know why I pulled you over?" "Yes, sir. I was going a bit too fast back there, I was not watching how fast I was going." "Thank you for the warning, sir."

Geoff

Must be why I have never received a speeding ticket. Got pulled over at least a half dozen times. "You know why I pulled you over?" "Yes, sir. I was going a bit too fast back there, I was not watching how fast I was going." "Thank you for the warning, sir."

No. No. No!

The response to "Do you know why I pulled you over?" should be. "Yes. Because you are hassling me instead of arresting real criminals. Sack up and do something useful with your life."

Works like a charm.

bigbob

No. No. No!

The response to "Do you know why I pulled you over?" should be. "Yes. Because you are hassling me instead of arresting real criminals. Sack up and do something useful with your life."

Works like a charm.

So this is why you collected all those "Points" in Vt. What you are saying is true, but not helping your cause.

And SRO, Kids should not be playing in the streets. Thats why we spend all the money building playgrounds!

Glenn

We watched the news up in VT before heading to the flatlands last night. The new license plate plans are somewhat in limbo now. Seems that cash strapped tax payers are a bit p!ssed the government is trying to fund their budget shortfall with another half baked plan. I "think" the govenor is dropping his support for the new plates.

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Fwiw

If you have a Special Plate you are safe from the mandatory change out for a little while at least.

nyss592.jpg.w560h269.jpg

ComeBackMudPuddles

I think NY residents traveling to VT are going to get more speeding tickets with the proposed license plate change in NY State. Those new ugly NY license plates will be obvious a mile away. The VT police will be giving out speeding tickets just for having ugly license plates. NYers have enough problems in other states. We don't need this.

Help decrease the cost of your ski vacation to VT and sign the petition started by Oswego County Clerk. County Clerks from across the state will be presenting these petitions to the lawmakers in Albany No New Plates

1112nyplate.jpg

except that the current blue and white plates look nothing like vermont's green plates, so there's probably no difference in terms of being out-of-staters.....

i like the new plates, but i'll miss the nod to the state's different regions along the top of the border of the current plate:

ny2001.jpg