• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RUMOR - Mount Snow not opening on Thanksgiving Weekend...

Highway Star

.........?

From snowjournal/NELSAP:

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic15796

Rumor is that in the next 48, Mt. Snow will say they are packing it in for T-Giving weekend....

Facts from Mount Snow's head of Mountain Ops, Dave Moulton, as posted on Mount Snow's passholders website yesterday:

"In the past I might have put some spin on the weather to make it sound good but plain and simple we are just not getting the cold temps to make snow. Yes, there may have been an hour or two on some nights where we could have made the ground turn white but in the scheme of things it would not have done much good.

The forecast for tonight shows cold in the low elevations but lately the inversion has left us in the upper 30’s up high. Frosty in Wilmington and warm in the base area.

We are watching and waiting, will go like crazy as soon as possible."

All they have officially announced so far is that they won't be open this coming weekend, the 21st/22nd

......which is somewhat suprising given that they have a decent downloading setup with a north face lift and their canyon lift. Guess they are insisting on the T-B open.

drjeff

.........?

From snowjournal/NELSAP:

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic15796

......which is somewhat suprising given that they have a decent downloading setup with a north face lift and their canyon lift. Guess they are insisting on the T-B open.

Now HS, would you PLEASE show me anywhere in that post (most of which was mine copied directly from the head of Mountain Ops) where it says anything official about them not opening for Thanksgiving????

WJenness

Did you miss the note on the inversions? Tough to download when you can't make snow at the top of the hill.

-w

jerryg

Now HS, would you PLEASE show me anywhere in that post (most of which was mine copied directly from the head of Mountain Ops) where it says anything official about them not opening for Thanksgiving????

It seems we covered this in the other thread where the "rumor" was discussed. Apparently HS wants to perpetuate that rumor further by twisting the words of Mount Snow's Mountain Ops dude. Very "extreme" of him... :smash:

Highway Star

I didn't say they weren't, hence the "..........?"

So, we'll see you at Killington if MS doesn't open?

Highway Star

This would be a nice comeback for Killington (being open Thanksgiving and MS not) after Mount Snow opened a week before Killington in '07-'08....JMHO.

drjeff

I didn't say they weren't, hence the "..........?"

So, we'll see you at Killington if MS doesn't open?

No Turkey Day weekend turns for me this year reguardless of Mount Snow's operational status :( WAY to many family things going on down in the flatlands this year. :( :(

Unfortunately that means that the only chances I'll have to make November turns this year would be the Monday after Thanksgiving, November 30th, and even then it will take a herculean effort to coordinate the schedules of my family to allow it to happen :eek: The only way that I'm holding out hope for that to happen (resolution of the schedules) is that since Thanksgiving Day is my birthday this year, that my b-day present from my wife will include her making the family scheduling issues happen herself, thus freeing me up for a late night drive upto VT on Sunday the 29th so I can make so AM turns on Monday the 30th and make it back down to the Hartford area for the early afternoon course I help teach.

jaywbigred

I'm happy that Mount Snow opened their jib yard, but jibbing just isn't real skiing.

I'm not saying its the same as top to bottom skiing, but when you start with the "___________ just isn't real skiing," its a slippery slope. They were open, they drew thousands of people who rode lifts with boards strapped to their feet and then slid downhill on snow for hours on end. That is more "real" skiing than anything Kmart did at the same time/earlier.

jaywbigred

Also, it seems to me that this thread runs up against the AZ policy against trolling. Esp. since it appears that the orig. poster intentionally entitled the post "Mount Snow not opening on Thanksgiving Weekend...", requiring the casual reader to click on the post to see the "...........?" continuation.

Why would anyone do this other than to insight the ire of Mt. Snow fans?

Highway Star

I'm not saying its the same as top to bottom skiing, but when you start with the "___________ just isn't real skiing," its a slippery slope. They were open, they drew thousands of people who rode lifts with boards strapped to their feet and then slid downhill on snow for hours on end. That is more "real" skiing than anything Kmart did at the same time/earlier.

I draw the line at a jib yard on a beginner slope. It's just not real skiing. Maybe if they didn't have the jibs...

Killington has previously offered real skiing (bump skiing no less) in mid-october, and in all likelyhood they will again in coming years.

Also, it seems to me that this thread runs up against the AZ policy against trolling. Esp. since it appears that the orig. poster intentionally entitled the post "Mount Snow not opening on Thanksgiving Weekend...", requiring the casual reader to click on the post to see the "...........?" continuation.

I think you're reading too much into it. It's a topic worth discussing, especially since the reverse was discussed several weeks ago.

Glenn

It's still a week and a half away. I read Dave's post on the season pass site and I'm still trying to figure out how one would read between the lines that he said no Thanksgiving operations.

Highway Star

A bit under a 1000 PAYING customers may disagree with you on that one

And they would be wrong.

You could take a warehouse, build a slope, cool it, and keep snow in there year round for a jib yard.....and even get people to pay to use it. It would be nifty, but still wouldn't be real skiing.

drjeff

And they would be wrong.

You could take a warehouse, build a slope, cool it, and keep snow in there year round for a jib yard.....and even get people to pay to use it. It would be nifty, but still wouldn't be real skiing.

HS again just proving that he doesn't get the true essence of the sport

deadheadskier

Staff member
I recall this argument when they opened with the jib park. I think some people questioned whether SRs opening T2 was truly 'open'.

I see HWS's point. I'll stop short of saying that a jib park isn't 'real skiing'; it's most definitely real to numerous people. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Highway Star

You guys might not see anything like this at Mount Snow for a while, so here's a reminder of what it looks like:

skiingsnow said:
Snowmaking continues this afternoon at
thebeast-1.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

pepperdawg

Lifetime BAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vortex

I think Sr had to shut the guns down for a few hours. Elevation helped big time today. The Mt snow thing has been hashed out enough. Everyone has an opinion. Open or not it was more than K offered to start. Mt snow does a good job.