Mount Snow Shooting for Sunday Opening - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That sucks. Was rooting for them to open.

Can't believe how warm it is in Boston today. Absurd weather.

Here's my "Glass Half Full" take....

It looks like it'll cool off tonight; enough so that they're calling for snow showers. If so, that's enough to fire up the fans. Friday looks cold and Saturday looks cold. In theory, that should be enough time to let the fans do their thing.

SoVT

What a breath of fresh air with that very truthfull report.The weather forecasted for tonight, to be brutally honest, is down right ugly with an inch or more of rain possible in the area.
    SIKSKIER

While I wish I was reporting that we've had some awesome snowmaking temps roll in, I am not. We just heard from the top (managment not the summit) that the weather outlook again changed and is not good for the lower mountain to make enough quality snow to open on Sunday.

According to our head snowmaker - Randy - we lost about 75% of the snow we made due to the 1.5" of rain we rec'd last night. (Driving around here the rivers and streams were absolutely overflowing with water). Now I'm not ruling it out, we still hope to open Sunday but unless it is top to bottom and up to the standard of our snow and grooming we will not open.

The snowmaking lines are all charged and ready to go. We had anticipated making snow this morning but the temps never dipped enough to allow our snowmakers even on the top. We'll know more tomorrow morning first thing and will let you know.
    Life, Liberty, and Powder. :snow::flag:

Bummer, so it looks like Mt. Snow isn't opening again. Wow.
    "For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

Lost 75% of their snow. Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Lost 75% of their snow. Jesus.
    Ooops. Looks like they blew (relatively) low density snow and didn't get a chance to pack it down or have it set up before the rain came in.

From what I have heard, Killington packed Lower Bunny Buster very hard before the storm and it held up pretty well.

Well, I wish Mount Snow the best of luck getting open some time this decade. 2010 is right around the corner....

You guys should come take a day trip to Killington, they should have 17 or more trails open with 3 lifts and some nice fresh snowmaking packed powder.

"For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
    Ooops. Looks like they blew (relatively) low density snow and didn't get a chance to pack it down or have it set up before the rain came in.

From what I have heard, Killington packed Lower Bunny Buster very hard before the storm and it held up pretty well.

Well, I wish Mount Snow the best of luck getting open some time this decade. 2010 is right around the corner....

You guys should come take a day trip to Killington, they should have 17 or more trails open with 3 lifts and some nice fresh snowmaking packed powder.

I know it's more than Mount Snow will offer, but 17 "trails" at K, what's that like 2 1/2 - 3 actual top to bottom runs?

And HS, if you want to realize (or maybe not) how much you got schooled in your snowmaking knowledge, may I suggest if you haven't already, that you read Tim Boyd's responses to the Peak Resorts AZ Challenge - I'm pretty darn sure that a big part of the snowmaking answer with facts, not theory was meant to school you

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I know it's more than Mount Snow will offer, but 17 "trails" at K, what's that like 2 1/2 - 3 actual top to bottom runs?

And HS, if you want to realize (or maybe not) how much you got schooled in your snowmaking knowledge, may I suggest if you haven't already, that you read Tim Boyd's responses to the Peak Resorts AZ Challenge - I'm pretty darn sure that a big part of the snowmaking answer with facts, not theory was meant to school you
    It's interesting that you say, "a big part of the snowmaking answer" cus the question had nothing to do with the fanguns or the process of snowmaking, just simply a question about drawing water from a few locations for snowmaking. Other than talking about that, which was never even asked, it was a lot of: I don't know, we got plans, we're thinking over our plans, we can't talk about our plans, our plan is not to leave these people behind or these areas behind, thats a great question and we might consider that in our plans.

Regarding the snowmaking - All I know is that Killington was blowing snow all day long today in temps at the mid to upper 30's, meanwhile Mount Snow was reporting that they wanted to make snow early this morning, but it just wasn't cold enough. I also know that Killington has fanguns, right next to running air/water guns, that are sitting idle because it is too warm for them to operate.

I'm a bit disappointed with Mt Snow. I think they could have easily opened if tried to get the North Face going and maybe throw in Cascade(Canyon)-River Run. I think they get about 10 minutes of sun a day over there this time of year. Of course downloading would have been required, but they did that under ASC a couple years. The place is set up quite well for that. They seem to insist on this terrain for everybody opening though, not very flexable about it I guess. Not sure I'll get my pass worth this year without the early season stuff. To many mid-season trip elsewhere. I'll definitely give it some serious thought before I plunk down my $$$ next year.

Thread Information