• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow Shooting for Sunday Opening

jerryg

Ooops.
Well, I wish Mount Snow the best of luck getting open some time this decade. 2010 is right around the corner....

Oops is right. 2010 will be the last year of the decade. I don't have a graph for this, but there is no calendar or similar measure of time that starts with 0. :idea:

drjeff

It's interesting that you say, "a big part of the snowmaking answer" cus the question had nothing to do with the fanguns or the process of snowmaking, just simply a question about drawing water from a few locations for snowmaking. Other than talking about that, which was never even asked, it was a lot of: I don't know, we got plans, we're thinking over our plans, we can't talk about our plans, our plan is not to leave these people behind or these areas behind, thats a great question and we might consider that in our plans.

Regarding the snowmaking - All I know is that Killington was blowing snow all day long today in temps at the mid to upper 30's, meanwhile Mount Snow was reporting that they wanted to make snow early this morning, but it just wasn't cold enough. I also know that Killington has fanguns, right next to running air/water guns, that are sitting idle because it is too warm for them to operate.

Umm, last time I checked, Mount Snow was located about 45-50 Miles South of K, and in these MARGINAL temps, latitude matters, and K has that.

The big part about Tim Boyd's answer that is really cool, is when's the last time a senior member of the k staff, let alone the OWNER of the entire company gave an answer (let alone multiple answers) in detail like that, and then mentioned how he (the owner of the whole company) looks to and values the direct customer input from online forums?????

Newpylong

I'm a bit disappointed with Mt Snow. I think they could have easily opened if tried to get the North Face going and maybe throw in Cascade(Canyon)-River Run. I think they get about 10 minutes of sun a day over there this time of year. Of course downloading would have been required, but they did that under ASC a couple years. The place is set up quite well for that. They seem to insist on this terrain for everybody opening though, not very flexable about it I guess. Not sure I'll get my pass worth this year without the early season stuff. To many mid-season trip elsewhere. :) I'll definitely give it some serious thought before I plunk down my $$$ next year.

Jay,

It is simply not their fault. Do you think they enjoy watching empty slopes? The weather was not there for snowmaking, even on the North Face. It has nothing to do with trying for a top to bottom product. If you're thinking about where to plunk your $$$ next year it would come down to either the North Pole, Killington, or Sunday River - because no one else has been able to really make snow in these temps.

mtsnowfish

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Mount Snow Opening Monday

While we have good temps we are continuously making snow on the lower mountain. Right now 145+ fans are running on Cascade, Canyon, Launch Pad, Nitro, Titanium, the Gulch and Long John.

http://mountsnow.com/camfull.html?sid=1208

We will be pushing to open on Monday at 9am with skiing and riding for all abilities including a park on Nitro/Titanium.

More updates to come.

Newpylong

Oops, you're clueless again. They did pack down what they had been able to make up top... it couldn't have been the fog, rain, and 45 degree weather every day, even at the summit right?
nahhhhh

We will be at Killington! Have to follow the snow...

Ooops. Looks like they blew (relatively) low density snow and didn't get a chance to pack it down or have it set up before the rain came in.

From what I have heard, Killington packed Lower Bunny Buster very hard before the storm and it held up pretty well.

Well, I wish Mount Snow the best of luck getting open some time this decade. 2010 is right around the corner....

You guys should come take a day trip to Killington, they should have 17 or more trails open with 3 lifts and some nice fresh snowmaking packed powder.

:daffy::spread:

mtsnowfish

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Jay,

It is simply not their fault. Do you think they enjoy watching empty slopes? The weather was not there for snowmaking, even on the North Face. It has nothing to do with trying for a top to bottom product. If you're thinking about where to plunk your $$$ next year it would come down to either the North Pole, Killington, or Sunday River - because no one else has been able to really make snow in these temps.

That's the truth. We have had bad luck. We have made snow only to watch it melt or go get drentched by inches of rain the other day. No one wants to sit and watch weekends go by without anyone on the slopes, in the base lodge, or on the lifts. K-ton and the River are further up the northern ladder than us and good for them for being open. No one is knocking their snow or conditions I wish I had the time to get up there and ski it but we're busy enough down in Dover.

I have friends at both places and wish them nothing but the best in early opening. We'll open with the product Mount Snow is proud of..

jaytrem

Jay,

That's the truth. We have had bad luck. We have made snow only to watch it melt or go get drentched by inches of rain the other day. No one wants to sit and watch weekends go by without anyone on the slopes, in the base lodge, or on the lifts. K-ton and the River are further up the northern ladder than us and good for them for being open. No one is knocking their snow or conditions I wish I had the time to get up there and ski it but we're busy enough down in Dover.

I have friends at both places and wish them nothing but the best in early opening. We'll open with the product Mount Snow is proud of..

Okay Rob, I'll ask you a simple question. If you had to get 700 vert open by Thanksgiving or you die. What would you do?

As for it not being cold enough, I disagree. I think if they blew Chute whenever they had the chance it could have opened a while back and withstood a lot of the negative weather. I've seen the front get wiped out a number of time over the years and the North Face held up fine. That doesn't seem to be the product they want to open with though. I can see how that terrain wouldn't appeal to as many folks. That's fine. But if they don't get something going early it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to by a pass. Especially with all the other discounts out there for MS. I like a lot of what they're doing. But if the goal is to really open early I think they need to learn from the past a bit. If the goal is to please everybody on opening day, then opening day will have to wait.

filejw

Guys, been skiing for 52 of my 57 years and I've seen many a early and or late start to the season, just the way it is. What i don't see to often written is how much it cost to make snow .If these resorts make snow just to have it melt away 3 days later they will not be around for long. There has to be a reasonableness that the snow will around for a while.

RISkier

It's really unreasonable to blame Mt. Snow or any other area for not being open. Given the continually warm weather, the temperature inversions, and the rain events. If you can't make snow you can't make snow. If temperatures are marginal snowmaking efficiency is sharply reduced. Economically it is just bad business to try to make snow in marginal weather when the forecasts are are very dismal. Who else is really open with much. Stowe wasn't open today and they have the advantages of more elevation and being considerably further North. I don't think Stratton was open today. I think Okemo managed to get open on very minimal terrain. I was very impressed by the both the quantity and quality of snowmaking at Mt. Snow last year. The weather has sucked but I have no doubt that Mt. Snow will do everything they can to get as much terrain open as possible.

skiingsnow

Umm, last time I checked, Mount Snow was located about 45-50 Miles South of K, and in these MARGINAL temps, latitude matters, and K has that.

The big part about Tim Boyd's answer that is really cool, is when's the last time a senior member of the k staff, let alone the OWNER of the entire company gave an answer (let alone multiple answers) in detail like that, and then mentioned how he (the owner of the whole company) looks to and values the direct customer input from online forums?????

I was comparing Killington's afternoon high (which was 10+ degrees higher than the early morning low at K) to Mount Snows early morning low. K it was Upper 30's in the late morning into the afternoon. I was saying that Mount Snow had to have had temps lower than that, in the early morning hours, yet they didn't make any snow and blamed the weather.

I didn't see any questions answered in any detailed way, the only detail was in his talk about making snow WHICH WAS NOT A QUESTION. As in THERE WAS NEVER A QUESTION ASKED ABOUT WHAT HE WENT INTO DETAIL ABOUT, incase you didn't understand that the first two times.

Weather.com for Mount Snow shows a low of 29 degrees Friday Morning, where ever the nearby area that that actual temp was reported from in southern Vermont. And there was no inversion yesterday morning so you know it was colder than that on the mountain - top and bottom. http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/monthly/USVT0153?from=36hr_topnav_ski

Newpylong

Yes, and you must know more about snowmaking and the weather at Mount Snow than Mount Snow themselves and people who actually ski there.

I have criticized both Mount Snow and Killington plenty, but when someone from the mountain routinely visits up this forum and speaks pretty much the truth and gives a reason for not opening - please don't spew Killingtonzone garbage for the sake of hearing yourself.

I simply don't understand where the confusion is. The temps would have only allowed them to run the guns for a few hours at a time - and that surely to melt soon therafter. Management felt it wasn't worth it. End of story.

I was comparing Killington's afternoon high (which was 10+ degrees higher than the early morning low at K) to Mount Snows early morning low. K it was Upper 30's in the late morning into the afternoon. I was saying that Mount Snow had to have had temps lower than that, in the early morning hours, yet they didn't make any snow and blamed the weather.

I didn't see any questions answered in any detailed way, the only detail was in his talk about making snow WHICH WAS NOT A QUESTION. As in THERE WAS NEVER A QUESTION ASKED ABOUT WHAT HE WENT INTO DETAIL ABOUT, incase you didn't understand that the first two times.

Weather.com for Mount Snow shows a low of 29 degrees Friday Morning, where ever the nearby area that that actual temp was reported from in southern Vermont. And there was no inversion yesterday morning so you know it was colder than that on the mountain - top and bottom. http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/monthly/USVT0153?from=36hr_topnav_ski