• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need Info on Attitash /Bear peak

Warp Daddy

My wife and i weer just given a a slopeside pkg fro mid feb to Attitash /Bear peak :beer: .

I 'd be interested in any impressions/experience YOU may have of the skiing there . i'm an advanced 30 day/yr skier who skis everything but bumps luv hi speed GS and crusers of any color 8) .

My wife is also in great shape and skied XC for many yrdsBUT she's new to DH but has pretty good skills ( balance , turns etc)for a newby . She Can handle all greens and low level blues

What trails are best for HER there ?? Our pkg includes interchangeable lift tickets to 7 areas around North Conway region--any suggestions .

We are familiar with North Conway but have never skied there

Thanx for any help PS any suggested restaurants ?? :roll:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I've been only once, but from how you describe the abilities of you and your wife, it sounds like A/B will be a good place for you two. More Attitash, Bear has less grooming and more glades, but still enough groomed for you to find.

It tends to ski smaller than the trail map would have you appear, I found, and Attitash Peak is only served by a FG lift, some would argue that's a good thing though.

The condos I skied by on Bear looked very nice. I'd say you guys would have a fine vacation there.

Also, I'd recommend the Muddy Moose for a good hearty meal, reasonable prices, and a pretty good selection on tap! :beer:

Warp Daddy

Thanx Marc !! Been to the Moose its well stocked :beer:

U R so right about trail maps vs actual impressions are often 2 differant things :blink: .

A&B sounds like fun place we'll let u know how it turns out

thanx again

BeanoNYC

Bellini's in North Conway is a real good Italian restaurant.....and this is coming from an Italian New Yorker who live a few minutes away from Howard Beach. (Gotti Country) I was shocked at how good it was.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hey, a free trip anywhere is :beer:

Attitash is not a bad place. North Conway is a great destination. Lots to do, beautiful scenery. Attitash was to be the little sister of Sunday River and to some extent it is. Good lifts on Bear Peak, good snowmaking and grooming. Attitash is steeper and more old school. Slow triple to the summit. Bear Peak is more laid back, newer, and has glades. Unless there is lots of snow, don't plan on glades. They did have some bumps when I skied there way back when. I think you will have a good time. Lots of blues and a few blacks that you both could handle. Welcome to the boards and let us know how it goes.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You're quite welcome for the advice, and how could I foget, welcome to the boards!

From my short time here, everyone seems to be a real nice bunch of whack jobs.

:dunce:

Warp Daddy

Hey guys thanx 4 the great info

Hey Marc : As a retired college president :blink: i feel very qualified as a likable WHACK JOB --MY KINDA PEOPLE .

Sometimes to be good at anything u need to be a little OFF SET :D :beer: ==KNOW WHAT I MEAN --let the fun begin !!

kickstand

Warp Daddy said:
My wife and i weer just given a a slopeside pkg fro mid feb to Attitash /Bear peak :beer: .

I 'd be interested in any impressions/experience YOU may have of the skiing there . i'm an advanced 30 day/yr skier who skis everything but bumps luv hi speed GS and crusers of any color 8) .

My wife is also in great shape and skied XC for many yrdsBUT she's new to DH but has pretty good skills ( balance , turns etc)for a newby . She Can handle all greens and low level blues

What trails are best for HER there ?? Our pkg includes interchangeable lift tickets to 7 areas around North Conway region--any suggestions .

We are familiar with North Conway but have never skied there

Thanx for any help PS any suggested restaurants ?? :roll:

I just wrote up something fairly detailed about Attitash yesterday. If you're interested in that, you can search my posts. I'm just going to stick to your questions here.

Cruisers:
Bear: pretty much anything from the summit. They let Mythmaker and sometimes Kachina bump up. I'd check the grooming reports, but Bear is pretty much a cruiser's paradise.
Attitash: they're all on the narrow side over here, but Northwest Passage, Saco to Ammonoosuc, Tightrope to Spillway or White Horse, Moat are nice. U/M Ptarmigan is great but I don't know if I'd call it a cruiser. You definite need a couple of speed checks on that one.

for your wife, anything skier's right on Bear is pretty gentle. Saco to Ammonoosuc, Northwest Passage, possibly Moat, Upper Cathedral (if it's open) on the Attitash side.

as for the other tickets and areas, I guess it would depend on where you go.

restaurants, it depends on what you are looking for. There are plenty of inns/hotels that offer really nice dinners (Wentworth, Christmas Farm, 1785). If you're looking for middle-of-the-road pricing and good food, there are tons of places. Muddy Moose, mentioned above, is one of them. It is very kid friendly, so if that is something you don't want to deal with, avoid it. The steaks at the Red Parka are great. Tuckerman's Tavern has a phenomenal prime rib on Friday and Saturday. I've yet to have something even average on their menu. The Red Fox is a solid choice. The Shannon Door has excellent individual pizzas and Brendan pours a mean pint of Guinness, shamrock on top and all. Merlino's is a steak house that has gotten great reviews. Bellini's, the Italian place, is good, but we've walked away from there 4 times because of the wait (once 45 minutes at 5:00 pm, 2+ hrs the other times). It was good, but not worth the wait. Moat Mountain has good barbeque and a nice selection of homemade brews.

Muddy Moose does have a nice tap selection. I'm not sure how many they have. I know Tuckerman's has around 20 taps, maybe more. The Red Parka has a pretty decent selection of both taps and bottles.

those are probably the most popular places, but there are countless more options.

shenty

I haven't skied at Attitash in about four years, but if I remember correctly the Attitash peak was a little better for intermediate, where as Bear peak had the more challenging terrain.

From your post it sounds like your pass is good at other mountains, so if Cranmore has snow, then that's a good assortment of mixed terrain. Also head over to Bretton woods which is about 20 minutes up the road.

As for eating, many of the restaurants mentioned above or all good, three more you might want to consider, Tuckermans Tavern on 16A in intervale, the Flat Bread Company for funky pizza in the Eastern Slopes Inn, or my personal favorite, Moat Mountain, barbecue, and brew pub. "Mmmmmmmm Iron Mike Pale Ale"

Paul

I'll be there Feb 19-25. Maybe see you there! :)

My 2 favs are the Red Parka Pub (Best Apres-Ski around) and Moat Mountain.

Another restaraunt that hasn't been mentioned yet is Coyote Rose (Across from the Eastern Slope Inn) Excellent (if pricey) place for a dinner for two. The menu is definately not your usual steak and taters. The last time there I had locally raised Antelope which was to die for.

Warp Daddy

Thanx again one and all 4 some great info !! You guys are :D 8)

Kickstand : i read your detailed review last nite its super helpful.

The "Queen of the Hop" :lol: and i will be @ A/B the week of 2/14--17. then the following week we 're heading to our daughter's home and skiing with our kids and grandkids@Gunstock ,Ragged , WA-WA then back here to the Adirondacks and Tremblant for the rest of the season.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Warp Daddy said:
Hey guys thanx 4 the great info

Hey Marc : As a retired college president :blink: i feel very qualified as a likable WHACK JOB --MY KINDA PEOPLE .

Sometimes to be good at anything u need to be a little OFF SET :D :beer: ==KNOW WHAT I MEAN --let the fun begin !!

Well as a retired college student :dunce:, I can safely say you'll fit in well here.

This motley crew is off set as you can get. We're so off set I think we're comin out the other side actually...

What college did you preside over?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
DAMN.

Sorry.

To think I would use such language in front of an educator.

*Over which college did you preside?*

Over.

:dunce:

Warp Daddy

Educator, yes in my not too distant past :eek: --but full time fun seeker NOW 8)

I was a Dean and Vice President for 30 yrs @ a State University of New York school in NNY and President at a local small private 2 yr college. Taught Management for several yrs.

I decided EARLY in Life that i wanted to spent my time Making a LIFE rather than Making a Living. I am One lucky guy who got started in my profession @ 21 retired @ 52 from full time work.

Presiding became more about FUNDRAISING than Educating and was not what motivated me. So i stuck to my plan and decided --HEY had to make serious time for fun like skiing , biking , golf , guitar --ALL the reasons we work !!

So i taught just 2 days a week for 5 more yrs but skied 3- 4 days a week . LIFE is GOOD !!